Your Most Memorable Basketball Moment

I didn't play High School basketball but the best moment I have witnessed was the Saturday morning game at the Sweet Sixteen in'98. "The shot that was heard around the state" Rick Jones hit a half court three to win the game and send Scott Co. to the finals where they beat J.R. Vanhoose and Paintsville.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't play High School basketball but the best moment I have witnessed was the Saturday morning game at the Sweet Sixteen in'98. "The shot that was heard around the state" Rick Jones hit a half court three to win the game and send Scott Co. to the finals where they beat J.R. Vanhoose and Paintsville.

That's defenetly top 5 on my list.

I also did not play High School basketball, but in the fifth grade I had 15 rebounds and my dad took me to chuck-e-cheese. I think food was the reason I did not play High School basketball........lol. Kyle Ballinger missed 10 threes for CCHS against Dixie and I always remind him of that when he tells me how good he is (he walked on at Xavier). CCHS winning the region at the Fieldhouse was great. Seeing Dave Turner score 53 for Pendleton in his last game. He tore his MCL in the 2nd. Seeing Chez Marks hit a three and get fouled with about 4 seconds left at Campbell County's Christmas Tourney was great. He hit the free throw to send it to overtime and they ended up winning. When my friend Joe "Shaq" Schultz was in High School he blocked Keaton Belcher's shot (he was in the 4th or 5th grade) and said, "Don't worry kid, I'm real good."

Antwain Barbour's amazing performance in the state tournament semifinals vs. Russellville in the fourth quarter .

I remember watching this performance and it was amazing. I was hopping to see the dominance that Barbour showed, to carry over to the Wildcats.

My most memorable basketball moment was watching the All 'A' Classic @ Pikevill in 1994, it was Allen Central and Elkhorn City. Jeremy Hall from Allen Central and Todd Conley from Elkhorn, put on an outstanding shooting performance. If my memory serves me correct, Hall hit 11 3 pointers and finished with 47points and Conley hit 13 3 pointers and finished with 51. I remember setting about 4 rows from the main top with my dad watching this game. It was truly one of the best games "EVER" for the All 'A' Classic. If anyone has a tape of that game, let me know, I would be interested in obtaining it.

My favorite basketball moment would have to be when I coached a junior pro team for one game. My son played on this team and the head coach was called into work and since I did coach a baseball team I was asked to coach. I was reluctant and rather than forfeit to a rival team, I coached for that one game.

The rival team at that time was better than our team. We were 5-4 and they were 8-1, I beleive. Well, my strategy was to go inside on every shot and no three's unless they were wide open for the shot. The rival team's second highest scorer was at least a foot taller than the boys on our team. Hence, the "go inside on every shot" theory. It worked. The big man was on the bench by the time the first quarter was over. And fouled out by the end of the third. This team also scored an average of 45 points a game and we held them to 24. I had no idea what I was doing and we beat that team by 30 points. That was my last coaching gig in basketball and I left it. It was too stressful.