Gridiron Dynasties

jbwill2

There is that same quote. Nobody can say what they are doing, but it is more intense and better than everybody else...
I wouldn' get to worked up footballhd. I generally agree with your basic point, that there is all that much difference in the practice and workout schedules. It is natural to credit every success you have to yourself and every failure to something else, and the truth often lies in the middle somewhere.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For one, I am pretty sure Highlands and South were in the same district a couple of years ago. My son only started playing 2 years ago, so I am not exactly sure, but I did see that south only lost to Highlands by 1 point several years ago. Now, the biggest thing I see as a parent is the culture of the school and parents. My son would come home complaining about how tired he was and didnt know if he wanted to keep playing and I would tell him to keep working and he would get paid back later. I saw it over and over, parents going to the coaches basically saying they were working their sons too hard. The school itself promotes no sports. My son was talking about a the 1 pep rally they had, so I asked him what they did to get pumped up about the game and he said that it was a school wide pep rally. Everybody from football, soccer, band, cross county, etc were honored. What a joke! Also, the most talented player on Souths team probably would only start special teams and be a back up on O or D. Talent makes a difference. Having 1 or 2 division 1 players really helps out also. I am not on here trying to knock Highlands or other great teams, but actually just wanting their fans to understand that there are hundreds of other teams working just as hard as their team during the offseason, summer, and season and it doesnt always relate into the success the dominant power have year in and year out. It has a lot to do with the culture of the school, parents, and talent. Its not about the X's and O's as much as the Jimmys and Joes.

Edited by Ram
Rule 13

There is that same quote. Nobody can say what they are doing, but it is more intense and better than everybody else. So when somebody is doing more days or hours than you, you resort too, "well its not the time, its what you do during that time." If I had said that a team only worked out 3 days a week for an hour a day, then the comment would have been "they work our 3 days a week for 3 hours a day."

You can't win with you simplistic commenting people. If you want to post actually workouts and drills, then I can debate this subject, but if you are just going to hide behind the same old comments of "they just work harder" "their workouts are more intense" "its not how long, but what is done" Then you can stay in your fantasy world!

Jeeze, I thought I was answering your question. I didn't know you wanted to know how many sit ups , bench presses or leg presses they do. Sorry can't help ya there.:rolleyes:

Here's one observation that I have...

This past March I sat in on one of Highlands' spring football practices (and was fortunate enough to sit with some BGP'ers). I have never sat in on one of these before, and I was surprised to see how (relatively) smoothly it went. Most of the plays seemed well-rehearsed, and I expected that it was going to be much more rag-tag, given that it was just March. I was told that since the Highlands freshman and JV players from the previous season had the "Highlands" system of practice/playing hammered into them so well, it really made these spring football practices "high yield," since a lot of time was not wasted in teaching more basic fundamentals. It was at this point when I thought that the level of practice proficiency I was witnessing (in March) was probably higher than many programs ever reach, even late in their seasons.

In other words... one hour of Highlands practicing in March (or Trinity, Beechwood, Saint X, etc) is not equal to one hour of practicing for a lot of other programs. I'm not an expert, but I suspect that when it comes to practice, efficiency matters.

For one, I am pretty sure highlands and south were in the same district a couple of years ago. My son only started playing 2 years ago, so I am not exactly sure, but I did see that south only lost to highlands by 1 point several years ago. Now, the biggest thing I see as a parent is the culture of the school and parents. My son would come home complaining about how tired he was and didnt know if he wanted to keep playing and I would tell him to keep working and he would get paid back later. I saw it over and over, parents going to the coaches basically saying they were working their sons too hard. The school itself promotes no sports. My son was talking about a the 1 pep rally they had, so I asked him what they did to get pumped up about the game and he said that it was a school wide pep rally. Everybody from football, soccer, band, cross county, etc were honored. What a joke! Also, the most talented player on Souths team probably would only start special teams and be a back up on O or D. Talent makes a difference. Having 1 or 2 division 1 players really helps out also. I am not on here trying to knock highlands or other great teams, but actually just wanting their fans to understand that there are hundreds of other teams working just as hard as their team during the offseason, summer, and season and it doesnt always relate into the success the dominant power have year in and year out. It has a lot to do with the culture of the school, parents, and talent. Its not about the X's and O's as much as the Jimmys and Joes.

I'm going to guess that SO is a larger school than HHS. By sheer numbers SO should have a% of better players than HHS. Yet you say they don't. Why is that?

^

I would think that has to do with the culture. I remember the classic post(I might be a little sketchy on the details) but it had to do with the father whose son met some Highlands players and had the whole Highlands way of life ingrained into his head at the age of 10 I believe.

In that area, a lot those boys grow up wanting to be a part of a state title winning Highlands team. I think things like that also make a difference because that type of mentality begins with playing with future teammates that have that same kind of mentality at a very early age. I have every reason to believe that some kids who may not ever win a state championship at Highlands may feel like failures when in reality they are not failures, it's just the mentality created by the culture. I can't imagine the pressure some of these boys may feel to succeed.

You gotta be kidding me. Instead of saying, "wrong on just about every point made" give me some examples! Don't just say you are wrong I am right. We are not in elementary school anymore.

Lets look at examples. My son was a senior for South Oldham this year, so know a little bit about what they do. Last offseason they lifted weights and did off-season conditioning 4 days a week, 2 hours a day. Everyday they did weight lifting, some type of plyometric drills, football technique specific drills, and plenty of chalk talk. Does Highlands, Trinity, St. X, etc work 5 days a week in the offseason, for 4 hours a day? If so, I am wrong.

Now, give me your examples instead of saying I am wrong. Lets have an educated argument here, instead of school yard chatter!!!!

No thanks, would be a waste of my time.

No offense to South Oldham but I highly doubt any team in KY currently runs an offense quite like Trinity's to the same level of efficiency. That is one of the things that has separated us from teams of equal size and greater talent on a number of occasions. We don't often have tons of D1 athletes. This past season was definitely an exception with Jordan Whiting and Tim Phillips.