Gridiron Dynasties

jbwill2

I just finished reading a new book that came out, entitled "Gridiron Dynasties." It is written by a high school football coach, and he goes through and discusses 12 top-level prep football programs all across the country. FYI Cincinnati Colerain is one of the 12 programs highlighted (they are the only area team mentioned).

Has anyone else read this book? If so, I am curious to see how these 12 programs compare with some programs in Kentucky, with regard to time spent on football-related preparation, conditioning, etc.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just finished reading a new book that came out, entitled "Gridiron Dynasties." It is written by a high school football coach, and he goes through and discusses 12 top-level prep football programs all across the country. FYI Cincinnati Colerain is one of the 12 programs highlighted (they are the only area team mentioned).

Has anyone else read this book? If so, I am curious to see how these 12 programs compare with some programs in Kentucky, with regard to time spent on football-related preparation, conditioning, etc.

I've heard about the book but haven't read it.

As to your question about time spent practicing and conditioning, one of my partners is an Elder grad and a huge fan of the football program. A couple of years ago he saw Highlands summer practice schedule in my office and said that Highlands spends a lot more time practicing in the summer than Elder does and stated that it explained how a small school like Highlands can field teams that can compete with the larger Cinti schools. I don't know if its true that we spend a lot more time practicing in the summer than Elder does, but figure he knows what he's talking about. Another big advantage for Ky football is that we have spring football and Ohio does not.

Don't type that to loud leatherneck, we may loose football in July also. Geesh.

I hear you my friend, I hear you.

I will say, in monitoring the football coaches listserve, that it seems that a lot, and I mean a whole lot of football coaches are upset with the loss of 7/7s in June and are particularly upset with the football coaches advisory committee members that "signed off" on the change that the KHSAA sent to the delegates meeting. I have no way of knowing if the advisory committee members polled the football coaches throughout the state before the advisory committee "blessed" the change, but based on the listserve comments, it doesn't sound like they did. There are some irate football coaches and that's putting it mildly.

You are correct, the listserver is where I first heard of this, and the coaches, as a whole, are not happy. And, I don't blame them. This can not be construed as good for football, in anyway that I see. June has always been pre pre-season, team camps, 7 on 7, and conditioning. Now, it will be individual camp and weights and conditioning only.

I thought you could still practice but could not compete against other teams. Is that not what is going on? I know some schools use to practice with a basketball back when you were not allowed to "touch" a football.

You can practice with helmets only. And you can not have any competition with other schools. Now, it has also been said in the other thread, that if you have a 7 on 7 after the dead period (July), then it will count as a scrimmage. If that happens, then there will not be any 7 on 7 in the state this year. That is very bad for football in Kentucky.

So, you can have weight lifting and conditioning in May and June with some non contact practice in June. And no competition, at all, until your first scrimmage. Two scrimmages, then the season.

Basketball will have 100, or so, scrimmages (open gym) before their first game.:idunno:

I am tired of hearing that Highlands, Trinity, St. X, all practice so much more and work so much harder than everybody else. The majority of the high school teams in Kentucky all do offseason programs that are very similar. They do weight lifting, conditioning, plyometrics, drills work, chalk talk, etc. Everybody needs to get off their high horse and quit talking about how these select teams (Highlands, Trinity, etc) work so much harder and do so much more. Now, do some teams not do as much? I am sure, but there are no secrets in off season conditioning. There are no secret practice methods that they utilize. No secret plays they use. Put Highlands, Trinity, St X coaches at other schools and they don't win state championship or even have winning seasons.

I am tired of hearing that Highlands, Trinity, St. X, all practice so much more and work so much harder than everybody else. The majority of the high school teams in Kentucky all do offseason programs that are very similar. They do weight lifting, conditioning, plyometrics, drills work, chalk talk, etc. Everybody needs to get off their high horse and quit talking about how these select teams (Highlands, Trinity, etc) work so much harder and do so much more. Now, do some teams not do as much? I am sure, but there are no secrets in off season conditioning. There are no secret practice methods that they utilize. No secret plays they use. Put Highlands, Trinity, St X coaches at other schools and they don't win state championship or even have winning seasons.

Wrong, on just about every point made.

Wrong, on just about every point made.

You gotta be kidding me. Instead of saying, "wrong on just about every point made" give me some examples! Don't just say you are wrong I am right. We are not in elementary school anymore.

Lets look at examples. My son was a senior for South Oldham this year, so know a little bit about what they do. Last offseason they lifted weights and did off-season conditioning 4 days a week, 2 hours a day. Everyday they did weight lifting, some type of plyometric drills, football technique specific drills, and plenty of chalk talk. Does Highlands, Trinity, St. X, etc work 5 days a week in the offseason, for 4 hours a day? If so, I am wrong.

Now, give me your examples instead of saying I am wrong. Lets have an educated argument here, instead of school yard chatter!!!!

You gotta be kidding me. Instead of saying, "wrong on just about every point made" give me some examples! Don't just say you are wrong I am right. We are not in elementary school anymore.

Lets look at examples. My son was a senior for South Oldham this year, so know a little bit about what they do. Last offseason they lifted weights and did off-season conditioning 4 days a week, 2 hours a day. Everyday they did weight lifting, some type of plyometric drills, football technique specific drills, and plenty of chalk talk. Does Highlands, Trinity, St. X, etc work 5 days a week in the offseason, for 4 hours a day? If so, I am wrong.

Now, give me your examples instead of saying I am wrong. Lets have an educated argument here, instead of school yard chatter!!!!

Starting the first of January, or when they get back to school, Highlands conducts conditioning on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday from 3:00 till 6:00. This goes till the end of school. Then of course they have spring ball where things really pick up.

It's not always about how often or how long teams workout... You've also got to consider what they're doing during that time. The intensity of the workouts and the type of conditioning being done is what separates these teams from the rest...

It's not always about how often or how long teams workout... You've also got to consider what they're doing during that time. The intensity of the workouts and the type of conditioning being done is what separates these teams from the rest...

There is that same quote. Nobody can say what they are doing, but it is more intense and better than everybody else. So when somebody is doing more days or hours than you, you resort too, "well its not the time, its what you do during that time." If I had said that a team only worked out 3 days a week for an hour a day, then the comment would have been "they work our 3 days a week for 3 hours a day."

You can't win with you simplistic commenting people. If you want to post actually workouts and drills, then I can debate this subject, but if you are just going to hide behind the same old comments of "they just work harder" "their workouts are more intense" "its not how long, but what is done" Then you can stay in your fantasy world!