AAU Football for High School

Ram

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Basketball, Soccer, Baseball ALL have a distinct advantage over Football.

1. Who voted the change into effect?

2. WHY would football coaches "give in" to the pressures of a basketball, baseball or soccer coach?

I realize that most coaches want their kids at every thing that their team does. This only hurts the student athlete more. outside of the bigger schools, I would think that most schools need to share athletes. Most of us do not have enough kids in our building to have Football Only, Baseball Only, Basketball Only, and Soccer Only athletes. If 90% of the schools do this, (While publically stating they need to share), then all of their programs will be content with mediocrity.

Football coaches need to fight whoever, to keep June football. The other sports have their seasons and off season opportunities to a greater extend than football.

Exactly. It seems that the football coaches, that were involved in this, were trying to give and take, not knowing the basketball would still be going on in July weather they had football in June or not.

Very good point 7. I still will be happy to be a volunteer coach to help keep our football players on the same page. We have a new starter at quarterback and receivers this year and they'll need as many reps as possible.

Our services are alway available.

Edited by Ram

Overall football has got alot better in Kentucky the last 15-20 years one of the main reason was due to 7 0n 7 competition. We should not have let this happen. To be honest i don't like the ideal of 7 on 7 in July. June was the time you put in your passing offense and work on your coverages. July was time for getting you team ready for the season. We always entered 4-5 passing tournaments in June, now we might get one in July. This rule would not have passed if it wasn't for a certain coach in Central Kentucky who spoked up for it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ram

10 days from dead period?

Quote from Coach J

Not sure what you mean by this? The new set-up would still allow for 22 days of 7on7's vs. other schools if you wish.

My understanding is any 7 on 7 versus another school would count as a scrimmage once July 15 passes. You could play only 2 "games" and then your live scrimmages would be gone.

Believe me, the gap will widen even more between the haves and have nots in football with this new set of rules.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ram

Quote from Coach J

Not sure what you mean by this? The new set-up would still allow for 22 days of 7on7's vs. other schools if you wish.

My understanding is any 7 on 7 versus another school would count as a scrimmage once July 15 passes. You could play only 2 "games" and then your live scrimmages would be gone.

Believe me, the gap will widen even more between the haves and have nots in football with this new set of rules.

So any 7 on 7 games played after July 15 count the same as a full, live- hitting scrimmage game? If so, who in their right mind would trade away a full scrimmage for a 7 on 7 game that only benefits a portion of your team?

If they are going to change the rule, you should be permitted to play unlimited number of 7 on 7 games during the specified period and NONE of them should count against the 2-game live scrimmage restriction.

So any 7 on 7 games played after July 15 count the same as a full, live- hitting scrimmage game?

No...that was one of the main points of moving the 7on7's to July -- to allow you to compete a lot more against other teams closer to your season WITHOUT having a restriction on how many times you could.

It's funny, but a lot of the coaches that say they won't participate in a summer 7on7 due to fear of injuries are some of the same coaches that would love to take a team to camp and go full-speed live scrimmage 3 or 4 times a day for 40 or more plays each session.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ram

Incorrect. Scrimmages don't start until contact practice begins. You can have all the 7 on 7 you can handle from July 10 until contact practice starts.

The 10 days came from one of the emails from the list server, I think he was talking about 10 days from the start of practice till the first scrimmage.

All good points. It just seems that there are constantly new restrictions and changes as to when and how long football teams can practice and be together.

Why can't they just settle on one format and let it be done? And, I get frustrated with the fact that football has so many restrictions on when the team can do certain things. I don't think that any other sport has as many restrictions as football does.

That's correct. Football has been, is, and always will be, the most restricted sport. Unfortunately, it is the one sport where the push for MORE AND MORE leads to tragedy nearly every year. Bottom line, it is the one sport kids die playing while regularly while adults "supervise". So it necessarily will always be the most regulated sport.

That's correct. Football has been, is, and always will be, the most restricted sport. Unfortunately, it is the one sport where the push for MORE AND MORE leads to tragedy nearly every year. Bottom line, it is the one sport kids die playing while regularly while adults "supervise". So it necessarily will always be the most regulated sport.

No one is complaining about restrictions or regulations that effect a football players health or well being. Let's not go down that road here. That seems a little sensational.

The complaint is the limitation of 7 on 7 competitions in June, so that your basketball team can play some Out of Season games. It is about Football being more restricted than any other sport.

If you are a coach that is afraid that players may get injured while participating in 7 on 7, then don't play. You and I can watch the teams that put in the time playing for the Championships.

I think that is a little over the top. No one wants a player to suffer injury, illness, or God forbid death. And, I don't know of any players dieing from 7 on 7 competition. And while we are on the subject, 99.99% of the players that die while practicing or playing football have a congenital heart condition that they, nor anyone else, knew about until their untimely death. That does not maker it better, but all of these deaths were unforeseen and I am sure that any and every coach would do what ever possible to bring those players back, if they could.

And, if I'm not mistaken, which I know I am not, there have been several basketball players die while practicing or playing basketball, should we restrict the amount of time that a player should play be able to participate in basketball?

I think that is a little over the top. No one wants a player to suffer injury, illness, or God forbid death. And, I don't know of any players dieing from 7 on 7 competition. And while we are on the subject, 99.99% of the players that die while practicing or playing football have a congenital heart condition that they, nor anyone else, knew about until their untimely death. That does not maker it better, but all of these deaths were unforeseen and I am sure that any and every coach would do what ever possible to bring those players back, if they could.

And, if I'm not mistaken, which I know I am not, there have been several basketball players die while practicing or playing basketball, should we restrict the amount of time that a player should play be able to participate in basketball?

Ram. I have a lot of respect for your posts and your thoughts. But it would be irresponsible for any adult to try and draw conclusions on %'s, etc. Your note above about 99.99%, simply isn't backed up by the facts. Talk to the researchers at Ohio State who deal in high school injuries, or the North Carolina doctor who has done the catastrophe research in the past. While some of these deaths (a very small portion according to their research) may be undetected situations, nearly all are preventable. Football,necessarily, will always be the most regulated sport.

Ram. I have a lot of respect for your posts and your thoughts. But it would be irresponsible for any adult to try and draw conclusions on %'s, etc. Your note above about 99.99%, simply isn't backed up by the facts. Talk to the researchers at Ohio State who deal in high school injuries, or the North Carolina doctor who has done the catastrophe research in the past. While some of these deaths (a very small portion according to their research) may be undetected situations, nearly all are preventable. Football,necessarily, will always be the most regulated sport.

I could have been a little over the top on the statistics. I work in the medical field, direct patient care, and I have researched most of the deaths, particularly in the state, and region. You are right I can not say with certainty that a high percentage of the deaths were do to congenital defects, but many of them were. When saying that, I mean they had a congenital defect, and another source caused their death. Like a heart problem, then heat and exertion caused death. The cause of death will be listed as heat related secondary to the heart problem. Now with that said, those players would have not died if not exerted in the heat, they would have still had the heart problem, but the condition was aggravated by the heat and exertion.

I too, give your comments a great deal of credibility, and always know that you know what you are talking about. And, I agree that football will always be more regulated then all other sports, I don't even disagree with it being regulated. I just don't think that hand cuffing the players further will help the players, teams or Kentucky football as a whole. And, apparently this last restriction was not done as a safety measure, but was done by some football coaches and some basketball coaches to create equality among the sports, which I don't really have a problem with.

What I really don't like is, while this was being done the basketball coaches knew that their players would still be playing basketball in July with traveling teams. Knowing that their players would still be sharping their skills, and that football players would not be able to have the competition with 7 on 7 that they need to prepare for the season.

I want to commend both Kissenger and Ram on their differing opinions and the way they laid out their particular points. I happen to agree more with Ram as to the intent behind the new regulation but as a doctor, it is hard to argue against safety. As my wife pointed out to me during the season when I told her I was having a hard time deciding on the fate of a players status for that particular week, she stated, "In two years, no one will remember this weeks game, but in two years will John Doe be living without the effects of this injury." It really is the smart decision to always side with safety, as long as it is truly for safety and caution.