Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

AAU Football for High School

Featured Replies

I'm football through and through, but I also love basketball and baseball. Personally, I love the idea. What I would love even more is if the whole entire month of June was dead for all sports.

 

Kids need to be kids these days. If there is anybody that is a firm believer of hard work, it's me. But theres a difference between hard work and border line craziness. In some of your smaller schools and districts, where kids not only want to play multiple sports but in order for their school to have maximum success, the best ahthletes play them all (football, basketball, baseball/track).

 

They go from mid-July with football up until the beginning of June typically with baseball and track.

 

Give them the month off. They are 13-17 years old in most cases. Let them spend time with their families, get a summer job to put a little money in their pocket, go on vacations, go fishing and basically---be a kid, like they are.

 

I think all of us, whether we are parents or coaches, forget that sometimes.

 

AMEN!!!!!!!!:banana:

  • Replies 59
  • Views 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 days from dead period?

Not sure what you mean by this? The new set-up would still allow for 22 days of 7on7's vs. other schools if you wish.

 

Football camps and competition has always been in June, mainly because, that is when college coaches want to have them, to accommodate their schedule.

Got to ask yourself WHY the college coaches WANT to have them so bad -- they charge us (usually, straight from our kids' families pockets or our booster budgets) HUGE entrance fees that go WAY beyond the cost to run the tournament. Why? So they can divide the profits among the assistants.

 

Personally, I think it could be an opportunity for us as HIGH SCHOOL PROGRAMS to host our own tournaments which will 1) decrease the cost of to high school programs participating in them and 2) any money that IS made beyond the costs of running it will go to HIGH SCHOOL programs instead of college assistants. (There are several HIGH SCHOOL 7on7 tournaments that are better-run than any college tournament I've attended.)

 

June has always been the "camp" month.

Still can be! There's nothing in the new rules that prohibits kids from going to college camps for exposure/instruction during the month of June. Just can't do the 7on7 competitions (which, trust me, aren't for the college guys NEARLY as much for "evaluating talent" as they are for them to make extra money for themselves).

Basketball players that are football players already miss a MONTH of practice even if their team does not make the playoffs(lets not get into that).

 

Sometimes I wish basketball was the fall sport and football the winter, to see how the football coaches would act when football players strolled in the week of the first game.....

 

Football wants their cake and to eat it too, and you wonder why some coaches discourage football.........

This is the similar to college football coaches giving the players their off season work out programs to do on their own. This way, they are practicing the plays and drills that are required in the off season and without the coaches present. This can be done as an "unorganized scrimmage" (7 on 7) against other teams or against your own team with a non-coach. I love this idea. Do they need me to be a volunteer?
I would love to do this in Ft Thomas. We will have the Qb's working with Jarod Lorenzen finetuning their skills. Then we will have Cris Collinsworth working with the recievers. Sound's like a great idea.
I would love to do this in Ft Thomas. We will have the Qb's working with Jarod Lorenzen finetuning their skills. Then we will have Cris Collinsworth working with the recievers. Sound's like a great idea.

 

Don't forget Merril Hoge.:D

Basketball players that are football players already miss a MONTH of practice even if their team does not make the playoffs(lets not get into that).

 

Sometimes I wish basketball was the fall sport and football the winter, to see how the football coaches would act when football players strolled in the week of the first game.....

 

Football wants their cake and to eat it too, and you wonder why some coaches discourage football.........

 

 

Yea, that would work. We would have the "freezer bowl" every weekend.:irked:

  • Author
Basketball players that are football players already miss a MONTH of practice even if their team does not make the playoffs(lets not get into that).

 

Sometimes I wish basketball was the fall sport and football the winter, to see how the football coaches would act when football players strolled in the week of the first game.....

 

Football wants their cake and to eat it too, and you wonder why some coaches discourage football.........

Apples and oranges. Football has 10 games, 15 if you go to the State Championship. Basketball teams play 100 games a year. They have 25 in the winter season, 50 in the AAU season and another 25-50 in the summer leagues. Basketball does not have any restrictions on when they can practice, except for the dead period, which football has also. Basketball can have practice and games virtually all year long.

 

Football teams are told when they can start practice, how many two a days they can have, when they can practice in pads and when they can't. They are told when and how long they can have spring practice. And they are told when and how much competition they can have in the off season - only two scrimmages, and certain windows for 7 on 7.

 

Who has more restrictions?

  • Author
Not sure what you mean by this? The new set-up would still allow for 22 days of 7on7's vs. other schools if you wish.............

 

The 10 days came from one of the emails from the list server, I think he was talking about 10 days from the start of practice till the first scrimmage.

 

All good points. It just seems that there are constantly new restrictions and changes as to when and how long football teams can practice and be together.

 

Why can't they just settle on one format and let it be done? And, I get frustrated with the fact that football has so many restrictions on when the team can do certain things. I don't think that any other sport has as many restrictions as football does.

Don't forget Merril Hoge.:D
That's right, Merril will work with the running backs. Maybe we could get Jeff Schlosser to work with the linemen. I know he has had a lot of experience coaching in the FTJFL.:banana:
That's right, Merril will work with the running backs. Maybe we could get Jeff Schlosser to work with the linemen. I know he has had a lot of experience coaching in the FTJFL.:banana:

 

You were doing good until you got to the line coach.:D

I think AAU football or any other form in the "off-season" is a terrible idea for the kids. I would hate to think I would lose a kid to injury due to this. It would adversely affect the smaller schools where a greater number are multi-sport players. It would be tough to lift properly during this phase, also. You would need to be in a maintenence phase of lifting while playing instead of trying to peak in S&C. If you don't, the risk of injury is greater. I see problems in the level of coaching for this. I would rather the high school coaches provide the instruction in-season. I think kids need the downtime mentally and physically. As a former multi-sport athlete, I would resist this. I think we need to encourage the kids to play all the sports they want while in school and make the most of their time in high school by doing all the activities they can. AAU would potentially lead to more injuries and stale athletes physically and mentally. There is already too much pressure to participate in organized activities on the kids.

Apples and oranges. Football has 10 games, 15 if you go to the State Championship. Basketball teams play 100 games a year. They have 25 in the winter season, 50 in the AAU season and another 25-50 in the summer leagues. Basketball does not have any restrictions on when they can practice, except for the dead period, which football has also. Basketball can have practice and games virtually all year long.

 

Football teams are told when they can start practice, how many two a days they can have, when they can practice in pads and when they can't. They are told when and how long they can have spring practice. And they are told when and how much competition they can have in the off season - only two scrimmages, and certain windows for 7 on 7.

 

Who has more restrictions?

 

Great post! :thumb:

  • Author

Some more information from the List Server:

 

In regards to the June- July Rule. The Idea is to take some pressure off of the Kids that play Other Sports. Baseball Basketball ETC…

I think this rule does take some pressure off. I know that players have to pick between sports and they make some coach unhappy. With this rule the idea was to allow the players to play Basketball and Team Camps and Summer Baseball in June. After the Dead Period we would have the players for Football Only. The colleges can have 7 on 7 in July we played in one last year at Middle Tenn in July. It was Great and then we played in one at Western KY in July. WE enjoyed that also. They were both VERY COMPETITIVE and fun. Then the next week we started practice and the players really carried over easily the timing and passing game from the tournaments and we also were way ahead in our pass defense and had some great preseason 7 on 7 that was useful. The June passing was fun but there was VERY LITTLE Carry over because of the time between June 24th and July 15th. Almost a month removed. Now with the passing tournaments in JULY they are part of our preseason practice. Also the entire SEASON was backed up a full week starting with this year. That gives you an extra week to get ready to play. So I would like to see us give this a try. This is just one man’s opinion. But the thoughts were about the kids playing multi-sports. Tennessee has the same rule and they seem to be doing fine. You can still use June to Practice and prepare like always just no team to team comp and no TEAM Camps until July.

 

First Reply:

Who initially came up with the rule?

 

Second Reply:

The problem with the rule lies within the way club sports (as I call them) are used by baseball and basketball, the rule itself is not a bad idea. My opinion is I would support the rule if my school was not allowed to loan its facilities to club sports. (in which as we know consists of people supposedly not affiliated with the home Basket or base ball programs) In my opinion to make the rule workable and a true benefit to the multi-sport athlete, we need to govern the use of our facilities or set up some better rules to prevent school team playing year around under the cover of clubs. If kids want to play on these teams let them, but let us not give them the impression that it is a school wanted, semi-mandatory, or whatever type of deal.

I know as sure as I sit here in the month of July there will be some kind of team vs, team ball games going on in my schools gym, or baseball field with kids from my school involved, we all do. But there wont be any football in June,

 

Third Reply:

The rule came out of a committee of Football and Basketball Coaches that

met. I am not sure who was on it. I was not but I liked the idea for

the players that played both

 

Fourth Reply:

It is hard to believe they can play 20 games and we can not get together and throw some balls. They have so called open gyms nearly year round. You know what I mean.

Basketball, Soccer, Baseball ALL have a distinct advantage over Football.

 

1. Who voted the change into effect?

 

2. WHY would football coaches "give in" to the pressures of a basketball, baseball or soccer coach?

 

I realize that most coaches want their kids at every thing that their team does. This only hurts the student athlete more. outside of the bigger schools, I would think that most schools need to share athletes. Most of us do not have enough kids in our building to have Football Only, Baseball Only, Basketball Only, and Soccer Only athletes. If 90% of the schools do this, (While publically stating they need to share), then all of their programs will be content with mediocrity.

 

Football coaches need to fight whoever, to keep June Football. The other sports have their seasons and off season opportunities to a greater extent than football.

Edited by bugatti
Rule 13

Look for 7 on 7 "tournaments" or "camps" in June with the coaches as nearby observers. The coaches are too creative to let this craziness stop them. It will work out.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.