Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

AAU Football for High School

Featured Replies

UK, U of L, WKU, several tournaments in June, I do not know what they will do but I believe that this will hurt them. Universities are getting ready for players to report and their upcoming seasons, not putting on passing tournaments in July. I hope the universities speak p on behalf of the growth of Kentucky high school football.

  • Replies 59
  • Views 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UK, U of L, WKU, several tournaments in June, I do not know what they will do but I believe that this will hurt them. Universities are getting ready for players to report and their upcoming seasons, not putting on passing tournaments in July. I hope the universities speak p on behalf of the growth of Kentucky high school football.

 

I know of several big 7 on 7 tournaments that have already scheduled dates in July.

One minor, but important, correction to the original premises...

 

It is certainly legal to work on football in the month of June all the way up to the dead period. The difference this year is that COMPETITION between schools in 7on7 can only happen in July -- and the days we are allowed to compete in July 7on7's expanded from 6 days (July 10-15) to 22 (July 10-31).

 

I know a lot of coaches out there don't like the new set-up. This appears to be mainly due to errant thinking it was done to somehow appease basketball coaches -- the reality is the idea didn't come from ANY bball coaches; rather, football coaches concerned about kids that play both football and basketball and were getting KILLED in June trying to do both at the same time.

 

Personally, I see some advantages to it from the old way:

* Kids wanting to play both sports aren't pulled in two different directions for competitions. (Hopefully the eventual result of this is that more bball-only kids will choose to play FOOTBALL TOO -- in the past, due to lot of bball coaches putting pressure on their two-sport kids to "do everything we do in June or lose your spot on the team," some of our better athletes in the state were made to choose between bball and football in JUNE.

* I can now PRACTICE our passing game and pass defense the entire month of June (up to Dead Period) amongst ourselves before competing against someone else. In the past, there'd maybe be a Saturday tournament at the end of the first week you were allowed to start practicing.

* Now, when we're going to competitions for 7on7s, it's not just stuff we're experimenting with or running some "playground offense" just to win that tournament. Since it's closer to the "real games," it's more likely that we (and the teams we're playing) will run the actual offense/defense we'll do in games -- therefore, it'll be more relevant to what we should be doing in "real games."

* I can put a LOT more of my time and attention on LINEMEN DEVELOPMENT in June.

 

These advantages don't appeal to all coaches -- I know there'll always be resistance to a big change because it's not what people are used to doing and those that think "basketball gets everything it wants" will never be convinced there could be other valid reasons for this change.

 

All in all though, I'm not against it because I think in the OVERALL EVALUATION, it's better for the kids -- especially the 2-sport ones that are so crucial to our success on Friday nights.

  • Author

From the list server:

One coach wrote:

What is the ruling on June and July?

 

Are we still allowed to compete in the passing league in June ?

 

 

 

I?ve heard different things

 

 

One reply:

I thought no football at all in june?

Our representatives voted to give basketball the month of June, football now has July? No basketball after the dead period?

 

 

Second reply:

How do we go about getting this changed back? There is only 10 days before the season after the dead period. I will not be competing with any other teams during those 10 days. How did this rule get passed without input from football coaches?

Third reply:

Think we'd all like to know that. This is absolutely terrible for football in the state. Talking to college coaches these past few weeks, they can not believe we let this happen. We have taken a huge step backwards with this ridiculous rule.

 

Final reply:

Here is the rule as interpreted to me.

1)No Team to Team Practice of Competition in June. ONLY JULY

2)NO Team Camps in JUNE- July only

3)You can lift weights/ Practice with a football/ and do everything else you have done in JUNE.

We are writing a Repeal to the rule to be turned in Before MAY 1st . We need a school to submit the Repeal in June and then stand up for it in the September Delegate assembly where the voter would be taken

The Original Rule Change passed by 2 votes 2 years Ago. I think most of us were VERY Surprised it passed but it DID and So here we are. That is why it is so important to read your emails and to keep up with the new proposals that do come up at the delegate assembly.

We have two other Rule changes that the KFCA are sponsoring also this year

Spring Practice Window – This failed by 2 votes last year

Change in the Start date for Full gear practices in JULY for everyone.

I will be sending out more info as I get it.

  • Author

CoachJ, I respect your opinion, but I really think this is very bad for football in the state of Kentucky. 10 days from dead period? Football camps and competition has always been in June, mainly because, that is when college coaches want to have them, to accommodate their schedule. June has always been the "camp" month. If this is continued, I see it as a big shot in the arm to Kentucky football.

What the coaches were talking about was having 7 on 7 competition in June, with non-school coaches coaching. That can be done. They don't have to have an affiliation to do that.

 

This is the similar to college football coaches giving the players their off season work out programs to do on their own. This way, they are practicing the plays and drills that are required in the off season and without the coaches present. This can be done as an "unorganized scrimmage" (7 on 7) against other teams or against your own team with a non-coach. I love this idea. Do they need me to be a volunteer?

  • Author
This is the similar to college football coaches giving the players their off season work out programs to do on their own. This way, they are practicing the plays and drills that are required in the off season and without the coaches present. This can be done as an "unorganized scrimmage" (7 on 7) against other teams or against your own team with a non-coach. I love this idea. Do they need me to be a volunteer?

Me and you baby, we can do it.:banana:

 

Something has to be done, in all seriousness, this is not a good thing.

What the coaches were talking about was having 7 on 7 competition in June, with non-school coaches coaching. That can be done. They don't have to have an affiliation to do that.

 

delete

Edited by sidelinedoc
duplicate and I don't know why

Me and you baby, we can do it.:banana:

 

Something has to be done, in all seriousness, this is not a good thing.

 

I agree, let's see what we can do in this area.

I agree, let's see what we can do in this area.

 

I am for it..

Sounds like a great idea?? Are any schools seriously considering this type of venture? IMHO, there would be alot of participation!

First thing we would need to do is contact the coaches and see who would be for this and want to participate. Then we would have to find team volunteers and get together and coordinate a schedule. I guess, first and foremost is checking the legalities and liabilities to all involved.

  • Author

I think there are coaches around the state that are serious about it. I am for it, I think football around the state is on the rise, and this will not help it. I plan to talk to some local coaches and see what they think.

I'm football through and through, but I also love basketball and baseball. Personally, I love the idea. What I would love even more is if the whole entire month of June was dead for all sports.

 

Kids need to be kids these days. If there is anybody that is a firm believer of hard work, it's me. But theres a difference between hard work and border line craziness. In some of your smaller schools and districts, where kids not only want to play multiple sports but in order for their school to have maximum success, the best ahthletes play them all (football, basketball, baseball/track).

 

They go from mid-July with football up until the beginning of June typically with baseball and track.

 

Give them the month off. They are 13-17 years old in most cases. Let them spend time with their families, get a summer job to put a little money in their pocket, go on vacations, go fishing and basically---be a kid, like they are.

 

I think all of us, whether we are parents or coaches, forget that sometimes. It's honest to goodness getting to be a joke. More than not, a large part of success just boils down to who is just better--who has the better God gifted talent. You either can or you can't. It doesn't have diddly to with getting 20 7 on 7's games in June, or the fact that your basketball and baseball team played 25 games over the span of three weeks in June.

Edited by HolmesBend

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.