Any good books?

KyTiger89

I've read a few since we last checked in this thread.

Rose Madder, Stephen King

The Regulators, Richard Bachman (you know who)

Faceless Killers, Henning Mankell

And, for our P&R junkies...

Downsize This, Michael Moore:scared:

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Figured I'd bring this thread back up.....

In the last year all I have read is:

Answering the New Atheism-by Ben Wiker and Scott Hahn... very technical and difficult to read, but very rewarding.

The Road to Serfdom-by Friedrich Von Hayek...his meditation and masterpiece on why collectivism and fascism, thought to be on opposite poles, wind up being one in the same.

Currently reading:

Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Arand

Going to read soon: The Church and The Market by Thomas Woods,The Revolution by Ron Paul,Downsizing the Federal Government by Chris Edwards, and A Framework for Understanding Poverty by Ruby Payne

More than a Carpenter, by Josh D. McDowell......A book about Christ and his impact on our lives. McDowell was a known skeptic and set out writing this book to refute Jesus Christ as the Savior, and came away a devout Chistian and a follower....extremely powerful.

I'm currently reading The Island at the Center of the World by Russell Shorto, a story about the Dutch settlement of New Amsterdam/New York. It's very interesting to see a group of people whose story has been completely tossed aside by American history.

I saw Marley and Me tonight, and if the past rings true, books are usually better than the movie and the movie was great, so I plan on reading that.

The book is excellent - I haven't seen the movie but loved the book

Endurance, by Alfred Lansing

About the "failed" 1914-1916 Trans-Antarctic Expedition, led by Sir Ernest Shackleton (one of the GREATEST leaders to have ever lived).

His crew of 28 aboard the ship, Endurance, were stuck in Antarctica's pack-ice for a year. The ship was crushed, and they were forced to live ON THE ICE for 8 months.

Shackleton led his crew off the ice in 3 tiny boats to UN-inhabited Elephant Island. Then he and 5 others sailed a tiny 22-foot open boat 700 miles through the Drake Passage to safety and ultimate rescue of the 22 others left behind.

Every man aboard that shipped lived to tell the tale.

P.S. I work sometimes at Joseph-Beth Bookstore in Lexington. If you decide on this book (or any other), be sure to say "hi"!

More than a Carpenter, by Josh D. McDowell......A book about Christ and his impact on our lives. McDowell was a known skeptic and set out writing this book to refute Jesus Christ as the Savior, and came away a devout Chistian and a follower....extremely powerful.

RP, I had the honor of working with Josh on several occassions over the course of 24 years with Campus Crusade for Christ. He is as sincere, passionate and personable face-to-face as he is in his writings.