Nick Swisher or Xavier Nady?

The three years prior to last, Willie Taveras hit .291, .278, and .320. He just turned 27 so the bolded part is great news then.
The difference is that Taveras was never a very good hitter to begin with. Swisher has been much more productive offensively.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The three years prior to last, Willie Taveras hit .291, .278, and .320. He just turned 27 so the bolded part is great news then.

But if he's going to be the leadoff hitter his on base percentage matters much more than his batting average. Except for the 1 year that he played less than 100 games his on base percentage has never been higher than .333 while the league average is .345. It needs to be above .350, the stolen bases are secondary.

The difference is that Taveras was never a very good hitter to begin with. Swisher has been much more productive offensively.

Productive offensively? What exactly does productive entail? Swisher hasn't exactly knocked the cover off of the ball in the bigs...

It's obvious that Nady had a career year, one he won't duplicate again. Swisher is likely to bounce back ... guys just don't lose their skills at age 27.

Look at Nady's lifetime numbers against righties ... they're adequate at best.

Nick Swisher hit .219 last year with 24 home runs.

2008 - .219, 24 HR, 69 RBI, OBP% .332 in 153 games.

2007 - .262, 22 HR, 78 RBI, OBP% .381 in 150 games.

2006 - .254, 35 HR, 95 RBI, OBP% .372 in 157 games.

2005 - .236, 21 HR, 74 RBI, OBP% .322 in 131 games.

2004 - .250, 2 HR, 8 RBI, OBP% .352 in 20 games.

Swisher's stats are far from impressive. I think he could be a solid addition to the Reds ballclub, though, and I love his versatility.

But if you're comparing numbers, Nick Swisher is NOT your guy.

If the Reds were to get one of the two, I'd prefer Swisher. He has some appeal, and I believe he has 3 years left on his contract. Also, he'd probably come much cheaper than Xavier Nady. And Nady only has 1 year left...

FWIW, I don't want to see either in a Reds uni...

Productive offensively? What exactly does productive entail? Swisher hasn't exactly knocked the cover off of the ball in the bigs...

Nick Swisher hit .219 last year with 24 home runs.

2008 - .219, 24 HR, 69 RBI, OBP% .332 in 153 games.

2007 - .262, 22 HR, 78 RBI, OBP% .381 in 150 games.

2006 - .254, 35 HR, 95 RBI, OBP% .372 in 157 games.

2005 - .236, 21 HR, 74 RBI, OBP% .322 in 131 games.

2004 - .250, 2 HR, 8 RBI, OBP% .352 in 20 games.

Swisher's stats are far from impressive. I think he could be a solid addition to the Reds ballclub, though, and I love his versatility.

But if you're comparing numbers, Nick Swisher is NOT your guy.

Like I said, Swisher had a down year, but he is likely to bounce back. If he gets back to his 2006 and 2007 performance level (57 homers and a .375-ish OBP in two seasons) he'll be a welcome addition to the Reds' lineup.

Like I said, Swisher had a down year, but he is likely to bounce back. If he gets back to his 2006 and 2007 performance level (57 homers and a .375-ish OBP in two seasons) he'll be a welcome addition to the Reds' lineup.

What makes him likely to bounce back?

What makes him likely to bounce back?
He just turned 28, which means he's still in his prime, and which also means it's more likely the down year was more a product of some bad luck (or maybe a nagging injury of some sort) instead of an erosion of his skills.

Basically, he had a few less singles and doubles than he does in a normal season. If he gets some of those back, he will have a solid season.

This would probably be a decent time to get him, because his trade value is a little down right now. Nady's is likely to be as high as it ever will be. I think Swisher is a better player and he's likely to come a little cheaper.

The other 3 suspects in the Yankees outfield are Matsui, Damon and Cabrera. The first is coming off of serious injury, the second has the worst arm in the majors and the third has continually failed although he's been given several chances. If the Yanks would rather keep those 3 ahead of either Nady or Swisher I'd be hesitant to trade anyone for either one.

The other 3 suspects in the Yankees outfield are Matsui, Damon and Cabrera. The first is coming off of serious injury, the second has the worst arm in the majors and the third has continually failed although he's been given several chances. If the Yanks would rather keep those 3 ahead of either Nady or Swisher I'd be hesitant to trade anyone for either one.
Damon and Matsui are almost untradeable because of their contracts. Cabrera is the only one of the bunch that can be counted on to play a passable centerfield on an everyday basis.

Swisher and Nady are dealable because of their salaries.

• 3 months later...

Who would the Reds have to give up to get Swisher or Nady?

I would lean more toward Swisher only because he is younger, plays a little better defense and has more years left on his contract. :thumb: