Covington Holmes 70 Scott County 65

3Ball

We will have the game audio, pictures as well as the entire game on video matched up with our broadcast for the first time on the site late tonight. Look to the left as to where to find it. The CovCath/Highlands game too.

Thanks for the info. I love what Class X is doing for Northern kentucky sports. Keep up the great work:thumb:.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Honestly, if you put together an all-star team from the 9th Region right now (not including any Holmes players), they couldn't beat this Holmes team. Their quickness and jumping ability is unreal.

I'm pretty sure Nichols, Earls, Popp, Gabbard, and Kowolonek (Shining Stars) beat the KY Players (Holmes AAU team) this summer, with Pittman, Johnson brothers, and other Holmes players playing.

I'm pretty sure Nichols, Earls, Popp, Gabbard, and Kowolonek (Shining Stars) beat the KY Players (Holmes AAU team) this summer, with Pittman, Johnson brothers, and other Holmes players playing.

There is no way the 5 players you listed beat this current Holmes team. Not nearly enough quickness and they'd get killed on the boards. Since you listed 3 Boone players, I'm assuming you'll think Boone will give them a game. We'll see . . .

It looked to me like Guyn guarded Riley most of the time. He kept leaving Riley wide open for 3s in the first half.

Guyn was able to drive at will on whoever was guarding him (Riley?).

Actually Guyn and D. Johnson were matched up early, and Riley was on Ford. JJ was on Jackson the whole game. When D. Johnson came out, Henley switched Housely to Guyn, which didn't pan out, so they put Riley on Guyn and would have D. Johnson/Housely guard Ford/Manning/ Flannery the rest of the game.

Riley handled the ball one on one very well against both Guyn and Jackson. I can only think of 2 instances where Riley had a WIDE OPEN three. The other three shots he had a hand in his face.

AAU has nothing to do with HIGH SCHOOL basketball. :rolleyes:

I don't believe the KY Players have Riley, Housely, D. Johnson or any of the other seniors. You also failed to mention that wasn't Shining Stars starting 5. They had I believe Botkin from Lexcath, Middleton from Mason Co, as well as a few others from around the state. I doubt very seriously that group that you listed would beat SC so it's safe to assume they wouldn't beat this Holmes team either.

There is no way the 5 players you listed beat this current Holmes team. Not nearly enough quickness and they'd get killed on the boards. Since you listed 3 Boone players, I'm assuming you'll think Boone will give them a game. We'll see . . .

They did, and I confirmed that 46-42 was the score. Same Holmes players (minus Riley of course since he's a senior) played. Those players struggled with Nichols strength down low in that game. Pittman stayed on the perimeter most of that game. Kowolenek got a lot of boards through hustle and timing and desire. I listed the players who started for both teams in that game. Of course, this is a half year later already, and I'm sure the Holmes kids have improved. Holmes is clear #1 in the ninth, but not invincible as long as they have flaws like ball handling vs. pressure, lack of depth, etc. I think Boone could give them a closer game than last year's 20 point loss, but a lot would have to go their way to win.

They did, and I confirmed that 46-42 was the score. Same Holmes players (minus Riley of course since he's a senior) played. Those players struggled with Nichols strength down low in that game. Pittman stayed on the perimeter most of that game. Kowolenek got a lot of boards through hustle and timing and desire. I listed the players who started for both teams in that game. Of course, this is a half year later already, and I'm sure the Holmes kids have improved. Holmes is clear #1 in the ninth, but not invincible as long as they have flaws like ball handling vs. pressure, lack of depth, etc. I think Boone could give them a closer game than last year's 20 point loss, but a lot would have to go their way to win.

Pretty big minus. And, as Eta Rho stated, AAU is not high school ball. Holmes surely isn't invincible, but no one in the 9th will play with them.

Actually Guyn and D. Johnson were matched up early, and Riley was on Ford. JJ was on Jackson the whole game. When D. Johnson came out, Henley switched Housely to Guyn, which didn't pan out, so they put Riley on Guyn and would have D. Johnson/Housely guard Ford/Manning/ Flannery the rest of the game.

Riley handled the ball one on one very well against both Guyn and Jackson. I can only think of 2 instances where Riley had a WIDE OPEN three. The other three shots he had a hand in his face.

AAU has nothing to do with HIGH SCHOOL basketball. :rolleyes:

I also don't believe the KY Players had Riley, Housely, D. Johnson or any of the other seniors. I doubt very seriously that group that you listed would beat SC so it's safe to assume they wouldn't beat this Holmes team either.

I think all of Riley's threes were pretty open except one. I know that Guyn was guarding him on at least 2-3 of the shots. How many assists and turnovers did Riley have?

Agree that AAU has nothing to do with high school. I was responding to the assertion that no 5 players in NKY could play with Holmes 5. I was responding for the 2010 players since I've never seen a mixture of 2010 and 2009 NKY allstart players play Holmes 2009 and 2010 players.

Take Riley's 5-6 shooting from 3 away from last night's game, and you could have a different outcome too. He can't shoot 80% indefinitely out there.

I'd have to respectfully disagree. Guyn is their best player and most solid IMO. He does it all. Rebound, Score, and defend. Holmes proved last night that if you put someone on Phares who is the same size as him that has athleticism and can handle the rock, he is very vulnerable and prone to foul trouble.

Manning was also very impressive though and is pretty big for a freshman. He will be a stud for SC throughout the next 4 years. I don't understand why Hicks doesn't start him over either Ford or Euton. He brings much more athleticism and SC is a much better team with him on the floor.

Ok but he (Guyn) transferred in from a Lexington HS last year. So you have Manning who will be good and Phares. Lets talk about others who grew up in the Scott Co Feeder system.

Pretty big minus. And, as Eta Rho stated, AAU is not high school ball. Holmes surely isn't invincible, but no one in the 9th will play with them.

Riley is the key this year, as long as he shoots the way he is. IMO, Holmes is better this year than they will be next year. Still not sure Holmes is as good as they were last year with Henderson, but the season has a long way to go.

I'm not ready to concede the 9th to Holmes. If the ninth is one of the top 3 regions in the state, why couldn't someone give them a game? What if 2 of their starters, say Pittman and Riley, foul out in a game?

Holmes will be tested in the 9th. The 9th will always get you ready for March. Thats just how it is. Holmes is hands down the most talented team in the 9th. Other teams will see them as a challenge, and compete very hard. Highlands win over Mason looks really impressive, with the way Mason has played since. I don't think anyone can over look the Bluebirds, and they will only get deeper with football season over. They seem to be flying under the radar.

We will have the game audio, pictures as well as the entire game on video matched up with our broadcast for the first time on the site late tonight. Look to the left as to where to find it. The CovCath/Highlands game too.

Thanks for the info. I love what Class X is doing for Northern kentucky sports. Keep up the great work:thumb:.

Thanks much. We do appreciate it.

Riley is the key this year, as long as he shoots the way he is. IMO, Holmes is better this year than they will be next year. Still not sure Holmes is as good as they were last year with Henderson, but the season has a long way to go.

I'm not ready to concede the 9th to Holmes. If the ninth is one of the top 3 regions in the state, why couldn't someone give them a game? What if 2 of their starters, say Pittman and Riley, foul out in a game?

Well sure, I could paint you lots of made-up scenarios in which someone could give Holmes a game. But, generally speaking, it would take some kind of unusual scenario for someone to stay with them. Frankly, I see the other 9th teams falling into foul trouble against Holmes as they try to keep up with Holmes' speed. I guess we'll see as it plays out. I predict no one stays within 20 points of them.