Covington Holmes 70 Scott County 65

3Ball

I think re-watching the game would show you're correct there GT.

JJ has really improved since last year and is averaging right around 12 ppg right now.

BTW, another player who wasn't mentioned too much tonight was senior Dom Johnson. He started over Housely and did a GREAT job both offensively and defensively. He knocked down two big 3's early and defensively did a VERY good job on Jackson.

Dom played big. This is what I thought he would bring, but he struggled in the frist few games. Hopefully this will carry over. I heard he has been playing really well in practice.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is what I was waiting on, and you didn't disapoint. As usual another great recap. Thanks:thumb:. I watched you get drilled all this week by the SC faithful. You called this game head on. Matchup for matchup. Most of them said Holmes would be ran off the floor. Now im waiting to see how many will come out, and eat crow.

Just called it how I seen it from an unbiased standpoint of how I thought the game would go after seeing both teams. If you look at the prediction of the match ups, you'll see I was pretty dead on with all of the outcomes. :D

-Pittman gave Phares fits down low and dominated on the glass.

-Euton was a step too slow when guarding R. Johnson and struggled to score with a more athletic defender on him.

-JJ did a great job on Jackson and not only outscored him, but also out-rebounded him after many proclaimed Jackson as one of the best rebounding guards in the state. (I will say this though, the kid can flat out get up and has unreal athleticism. He was way up there on the missed in bounds alley oop attempt.)

-I called Riley and Ford even but said Riley was hands down the better shooter. Riley finished with 20, missing only 1 shot.

-I gave Guyn the advantage over Housely and said if he didn't move his feet, it'd be a long night for Holmes. Guyn torched them for 29.

You know I was at this game tonight and would pay to see these 2 go at it again. It was exciting to watch and I really enjoyed myself. The athletes on that floor tonight were very imressive. I hope they meet again down State. Congrats to both teams and a well played game. :thumb:

Wow, what a great facility. I loved the atmosphere and I think its nicer than the Cintas Center. To the game, I could only stay for the first half but I was amazed at Holmes' length and athleticism. Pittman is so freakin long and plays way above the rim. Jamel Riley impressed me also with is smooth shot and great floor demeanor.

Supporting cast for Holmes played very solid but like someone said earlier they are not very deep and might run into problems if their studs get in foul trouble. Henley better get some of those guys more PT in 9th region games.

I hate to rehash all the good posts on here so I wont. I also hate saying negative things about HS players but I will just say that I was not impressed with Euton's play tonight. I know the kid has talent and size and shoots well for a BIG but I didnt see it tonight. If I were him I would work on footwork and back to basket.

I noticed Billy G over leaning against the railing. I am sure he was impressed with the Bulldogs as well as Guyn from SC. IMO he was the best player on the floor for most of the game. Phares seemed to get frustrated with the Holmes athleticism and stifling defense and never really got into the game. Manning is going to be a stud next season for them. SC lacks any good depth as well. I thought Flannery had some nice looks but no 3's which is what I thought he was noted for when on the floor.

Watching Hicks whine to the refs was actually pretty funny as I was 4 rows behind their bench. I think he had plenty reason to gripe atleast in the first half. That call to end the half was just awful. Chappie coming in and waving off the other official who gave the kid the bucket was bad.

Both of these teams are Top 5 teams IMO. Anybody that thinks they need to drop below that is crazy. Elliot county although a very fine club would not be able to handle Holmes' length and jumping capabilities and I dont think they could handle Phares/Euton and their size for SC.

That call to end the half was just awful. Chappie coming in and waving off the other official who gave the kid the bucket was bad.

I thought the shot was released in time, but Chappie was the right official to make the call. He had the angle on the shot and light on the backboard...

The play other than the Pittman dunk that got the crowd antsy was a missed shot...the near rebound flush that Brandon Housely missed. I believe it was off a Pittman missed shot...Housely came through the lane, caught it right arm extended behind him and just came up short...I thought he might have been bumped...but if he would have nailed that one...it would have been ridiculous.

Watching Hicks whine to the refs was actually pretty funny as I was 4 rows behind their bench. I think he had plenty reason to gripe atleast in the first half. That call to end the half was just awful. Chappie coming in and waving off the other official who gave the kid the bucket was bad.

Very close call. I was surprised when O'Hara, the under official signaled it good.

To the best of my knowledge the outside, or top official, always makes that call, which would have made it Chappie's call. When one official signals it good and the other waves it off, it gives the disadvantaged coach license to get in his licks - which Hicks did.

Also, Chappie let the dunk on the dead ball go. IMO that is normally a technical foul. I saw him grab his whistle, but then thought better about making that call, in that high profile of a game.

All in all, I thought the 9th Region crew did a good job, and that the officiating in the BG/Buckeye was very good.

Notice that Coach L wasn't as touchy feely with the Bluegrass Officiating Crew as he would have been with a 9th region crew. It appears that Coach L has more to concern himself about this year, besides the officiating.

Re Euton: Just big - very big! I've seen him play several times now and can not imagine him playing DI ball, especially in the SEC. I thought that in the first half he was one of Holmes' finest assets.

Imo this was a statement game for Holmes. Most people outside of Northern Kentucky thinks Holmes has only two options. They showed tonight that they can beat anybody in the state with there best player [Ricardo] having an off night. The win is impressive on the fact they beat the #1 in the state. But what makes it even more impressive to me is they did it without Ricardo getting 25.

I think Lex Cath is a better team right now than Scott Co. But who knows.

The LexCath that I saw could not compete with Holmes or SC>

He and Donald Williams can thumb wrestle with ''scratch" the mascot

:lol: Nice

The new arena is very nice, but I will make sure I stuff myself full next time I go, $4.00 hotdogs seems a bit much imo.

I enjoyed the new arena as well

I don't think there's any question about who the #1 team in the state is, if SC is as good as some on here thought and predicted. Holmes dominated the boards, were quicker, and much more athletic than SC.

Agreed. It has to be Station. :D

The play other than the Pittman dunk that got the crowd antsy was a missed shot...the near rebound flush that Brandon Housely missed. I believe it was off a Pittman missed shot...Housely came through the lane, caught it right arm extended behind him and just came up short...I thought he might have been bumped...but if he would have nailed that one...it would have been ridiculous.

I was wondering when someone would talk about Housely. Then I realized no one had talked about Chad Jackson. Then I realized no one had talked about the other Johnson. Too much talent in this game.

The LexCath that I saw could not compete with Holmes or SC>

:lol: Nice

I enjoyed the new arena as well

Agreed. It has to be Station. :D

I was wondering when someone would talk about Housely. Then I realized no one had talked about Chad Jackson. Then I realized no one had talked about the other Johnson. Too much talent in this game.

I was thinking the same thing win I made my first post. Jackson may of had an off night, but you can tell he's a baller.