Covington Holmes 70 Scott County 65

3Ball

Just got in from the game, and wow, what a game it was. Honestly wasn't as close as the score might indicate though. Holmes led by double digits the whole game up until around 4 minutes left and then SC started pressing which got the lead down to 5. Was never closer than that and Holmes led by as many as 17 at one point.

I don't think there's any question about who the #1 team in the state is, if SC is as good as some on here thought and predicted. Holmes dominated the boards, were quicker, and much more athletic than SC.

Riley proved he is one of the best guards in the state with his performance tonight. 20 points on 5/6 shooting from behind the arc. This isn't anything new. The kid has missed less than 5 shots ALL SEASON. The few SC fans I was sitting by told me how impressed they were with the way he could shoot and handle the ball.

Pittman was HANDS DOWN the best big man on the floor. Both Euton and Phares struggled with his length and athleticism. Neither of them could jump with him and they were completely outmatched on the boards. He played like a man down low and the highlight of the game came on his 4th quarter tomahawk one handed jam which even got a few "oohhh's and ahhhhh's" out of the SC faithful.

Holmes really needs to work on handling the press though. SC did a great job and forced many turnovers, leading to easy buckets to keep Holmes from running away with the game.

Give credit to Coach Henley. He had a great game plan. He wanted to take the ball to the rim and be aggressive early and his players executed well, which led to Phares having 3 fouls at halftime and forcing him to watch from the bench.

Ge'Lawn Guyn is hands down the best player on SC's team and IMO was one of the top 2 players on the court. He benefitted from having a smaller Riley guard him, but he got to the rim when he wanted and wouldn't miss. I was also VERY impressed with Manning. SC was much better with him on the floor. Kid is going to be a player and would be starting on my team over Ford if I were the coach.

Euton and Phares might be nice to have offensively, but IMO they are defensive liabilities to SC. Neither are quick enough to guard someone their own size who is quick and athletic. (Pittman/R. Johnson)

Speaking of R. Johnson, I wasn't too thrilled with his play tonight. He looked good at times but also had a lot more turnovers than usual and didn't play smart basketball which led to him being in foul trouble much of the game.

Great atmosphere for a high school game though. I also had the pleasure of meeting some very nice SC folks and had some great discussions with them throughout the game. Hope to see you guys at Rupp in March!

I was thinking the same thing. He's never appeared to be that shaky when handling the ball before. There were a few times tonight where he just lost control while dribbling. I was pretty surprised by that.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was thinking the same thing. He's never appeared to be that shaky when handling the ball before. There were a few times tonight where he just lost control while dribbling. I was pretty surprised by that.

Me too. He didn't have his best game handling the rock and committed some dumb turnovers, but Holmes was better with him on the court. Defensively he did a very good job on both Euton and Phares and offensively he was able to get Phares in foul trouble and force Euton to be out of position a few times which led to easy Holmes baskets around the rim.

Euton was completely unimpressive. He looked like a football player trying to play basketball. =/. Way overhyped.

And I hate to say it, but the way people talked SC up I was expecting a much better performance. This game wasn't near as close as the score indicates. Holmes was clearly the better team.

That being said, Holmes has plenty to work on. They get panicky when they get pressed and while they may not face a press as good as SC's again until Rupp, they def. need to figure out how to break it. They also had some very sloppy turnover's tonight.

Richardo Johnson didn't have his stuff tonight, which was disappointing. He didn't take care of the ball and made some bad basketball decisions. Mentally just wasn't there.

Riley is the best guard in the 9th, hands down. He has to be one of the best in the state. That shot is beautiful.

IMO though, Pittman was the MVP of the game. His rebounding inside was amazing. He was a beast. There was NO ONE that could hang with him. I know Billy G was in the house, and if I were him I'd be looking at Euton and then looking at Pittman and thinking..can I have him instead?

Manning for SC is going to be a GREAT player. He really impressed me, along with Guyn. 29 points, he basically carried the team.

J. Johnson's game has improved a great deal. What he brings for Holmes you won't see in the box score, but he has great floor presence.

Agreed. Brought it up a few times in the broadcast. I think JJ being out with a cramp matched most of the clock time Holmes had serious problems with the pressure...

Agreed. Brought it up a few times in the broadcast. I think JJ being out with a cramp matched most of the clock time Holmes had serious problems with the pressure...

I think re-watching the game would show you're correct there GT.

JJ has really improved since last year and is averaging right around 12 ppg right now.

BTW, another player who wasn't mentioned too much tonight was senior Dom Johnson. He started over Housely and did a GREAT job both offensively and defensively. He knocked down two big 3's early and defensively did a VERY good job on Jackson.

Just got in from the game, and wow, what a game it was. Honestly wasn't as close as the score might indicate though. Holmes led by double digits the whole game up until around 4 minutes left and then SC started pressing which got the lead down to 5. Was never closer than that and Holmes led by as many as 17 at one point.

I don't think there's any question about who the #1 team in the state is, if SC is as good as some on here thought and predicted. Holmes dominated the boards, were quicker, and much more athletic than SC.

Riley proved he is one of the best guards in the state with his performance tonight. 20 points on 5/6 shooting from behind the arc. This isn't anything new. The kid has missed less than 5 shots ALL SEASON. The few SC fans I was sitting by told me how impressed they were with the way he could shoot and handle the ball.

Pittman was HANDS DOWN the best big man on the floor. Both Euton and Phares struggled with his length and athleticism. Neither of them could jump with him and they were completely outmatched on the boards. He played like a man down low and the highlight of the game came on his 4th quarter tomahawk one handed jam which even got a few "oohhh's and ahhhhh's" out of the SC faithful.

Holmes really needs to work on handling the press though. SC did a great job and forced many turnovers, leading to easy buckets to keep Holmes from running away with the game.

Give credit to Coach Henley. He had a great game plan. He wanted to take the ball to the rim and be aggressive early and his players executed well, which led to Phares having 3 fouls at halftime and forcing him to watch from the bench.

Ge'Lawn Guyn is hands down the best player on SC's team and IMO was one of the top 2 players on the court. He benefitted from having a smaller Riley guard him, but he got to the rim when he wanted and wouldn't miss. I was also VERY impressed with Manning. SC was much better with him on the floor. Kid is going to be a player and would be starting on my team over Ford if I were the coach.

Euton and Phares might be nice to have offensively, but IMO they are defensive liabilities to SC. Neither are quick enough to guard someone their own size who is quick and athletic. (Pittman/R. Johnson)

Speaking of R. Johnson, I wasn't too thrilled with his play tonight. He looked good at times but also had a lot more turnovers than usual and didn't play smart basketball which led to him being in foul trouble much of the game.

Great atmosphere for a high school game though. I also had the pleasure of meeting some very nice SC folks and had some great discussions with them throughout the game. Hope to see you guys at Rupp in March!

This is what I was waiting on, and you didn't disapoint. As usual another great recap. Thanks:thumb:. I watched you get drilled all this week by the SC faithful. You called this game head on. Matchup for matchup. Most of them said Holmes would be ran off the floor. Now im waiting to see how many will come out, and eat crow.

QUOTE]

At the end of the 3rd quarter Holmes had and eight point lead. Tamron Manning missed a layup that would have cut the lead to 3 with about three minuites left. Anyways congrats. Holmes is a very good team.