Favorite Gym in your Region

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although not good for regional tournaments, I love the old gyms. One of my favorites is the original Oldham County HS gym, which the Lady Colonels now call home. Seats about 750 in a u-shaped configuration, with the seats right on the court... All wood seating - they don't retract or anything... In the 80s, this court was named the third-toughest place to play a girls basketball game, and it sounds like there's a million people in there when it's full - or even close to full.

The 12th Region is pretty sterile, but there are some cool places.

-I really liked Somerset, but haven't been since they remodeled a couple years ago.

-Monticello is really old and interesting, but not great to play in

-Pulaski County is the biggest and very nice. Probably nicer than many college gyms

-Garrard, Boyle, Lincoln, Rockcastle, Southwestern, McCreary, Wayne all seem about the same. Pretty big, but not much character!

I'd agree with you on all of the above. I liked playing in Somerset's gym but Monticello's was a dump! Probably the worst locker rooms and showers in the history of basketball! Great games, bad gym!

It seems small gym's make the game more exciting but my favotite HS gym is Mason Co and I haven't seen all the big HS gym's in Ky. I enjoyed the seats at Montgomery Co last year. That's a nice gym also, just seems a little crowded.

Perry Central has the best facility in the 14th region as far as seating and parking. Now, if one is looking for seating only as a guideline, then Knott Central is the best.

Of all the gyms that hosts the 14th regional tournament (there are 6 in the rotation) Hazard has the worst facility. There's no where to park (they had to bus shuttle fans to the games the last time they hosted), and it doesn't seat enough people. On semifinals night crowds have to wait outside with hopes that enough fans from the losing team leave Memorial so they'll have somewhere to sit.

Perry Central has the best facility in the 14th region as far as seating and parking. Now, if one is looking for seating only as a guideline, then Knott Central is the best.

Of all the gyms that hosts the 14th regional tournament (there are 6 in the rotation) Hazard has the worst facility. There's no where to park (they had to bus shuttle fans to the games the last time they hosted), and it doesn't seat enough people. On semifinals night crowds have to wait outside with hopes that enough fans from the losing team leave Memorial so they'll have somewhere to sit.

Very true. I agree Professor.

Now talk about atmosphere nothing like The Barn....:thumb: Also can see from any seat in the gym...unlike some seats at Mason Co.

Alright, I'll take the bait. But at least at the fieldhouse you can walk behind the scorer's table without going out on the playing floor. But I guess you can hop the kiddies over the seats to take them to the bathroom like I did this year! :D Oh and my vote for the prettiest potties has to go to that new MCHS arena!:lol:

Montgomery County has a nice little gym.:thumb: :D Brand spanking-new, several nice amenities. I enjoyed the 10th Region tournament immensely last year.

No gym is perfect, Mason County's and Montgomery County's included.

But I will say this. If a couple hundred seats at The Fieldhouse have restricted viewing; these seats would be occupied by fans #5201 to 5400. Their view from any other facility in the 10th Region would be from the parking lot.

Favorite atmosphere for me is the tiny Augusta gym packed, but as far as a playing floor you can't beat the Fieldhouse!!!

While the Augusta gym reminds me of the gyms from the first or second round of the state tournament in Hoosiers, it is way too small for today's game. The risk of injury is just too great. It would be a great gym for middle school, but for varsity it is just too dangerous for the players.

Mason - obviously a great gym. Paris and Bracken have nice facilities.

Fleming - they could use more than their 3 or 4 functioning light fixtures! It would also be nice if their students weren't allowed to stand on the floor. PA announcer could also use a "Hooked on Phonics" CD for Christmas!

Henry county's gym in my opinion is a great gym to play in. Not all the games were exciting but come regional tournament time that place gets packed, and its just a great atmosphere.

I have to completely disagree from a player's standpoint. I have always dreaded playing there and the locker rooms are pretty gross.