Girl Boy Doubleheaders

Past experience with the kids tells me it's usually only the parents that tend to take offense (regarding which team plays first). The kids are smarter...they just play ball! ;)

Honestly, in speaking with some of the kids over the years, I think they (boys & girls alike) tend to prefer playing first. Why? The team that plays first heads off the court afterward to the locker room and generally makes it back out to the stands in time to watch the tipoff of the second game. The team that plays second has to leave the stands before the first game is over.

Pretty smart kids if you ask me... :cool:

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like a few a year.. but I also like them to be separate. Our School teams boys and girls both support each other so it is nice to have something to do all the time.

So many of the players play on at least JV and Varsity that it is hard on the kids. Weekend double headers are great though. I would like to see them on Saturday and have the JV game early in the afternoon.

I like a few a year.. but I also like them to be separate. Our School teams boys and girls both support each other so it is nice to have something to do all the time.

So many of the players play on at least JV and Varsity that it is hard on the kids. Weekend double headers are great though. I would like to see them on Saturday and have the JV game early in the afternoon.

Good idea.

This is largely the result of Title IX, which pretty much forced high schools to schedule some girls' varsity games on the "primetime" day (Friday) at the "preferred" time (7:30 pm).

Some schools may have had the occasional boy/girl DH before, but this prompted the proliferation of them.

I personally LOVE them. The crowds are up, and - as a HS broadcaster - I can do two varsity games in one night.

I also think the Friday night games should be evenly split between girls and boys. There is one school I know of where there is a huge difference in the Friday night games -- not a good deal!!

In the Louisville metro area almost all games are boy/girl DH. Freshman and JV games are played Monday and Thursday at the school opposite the host of the varsity games on Tuesday and Friday. The times rotate each game with the idea of keeping Title IX in line. I agree it can interfere with practice sometimes but that is where coaches have to decide to not worry about JV and freshman records and use these games as glorified scrimmages. If done correctly, in my opinion, this is perhaps more effective than scrimmaging your teammates daily. Teammates know your plays and cheat on D, and players know each other's tendencies. By working against another team you get a true sense of game speed. The problem is parents don't want these games used as practice; they just want their child to win. The line we use at our school is "they don't put JV and freshman games in the paper." The players could care less about playing that many games in a week. They'd play every day if allowed; just ask them. Our players BEG to play the JV games b.c they know they can work on stuff without the pressure of it being a "real" game. I love it personally, and yes, we have been VERY successful with this approach and have a great girl's program b.c of it. Now it took some time and several conversations to convince the parents of this, but now it's just "part of the program" and accepted by all. Just my two cents but had to share. And I love the DH'ers b.c it gives EVERYONE, not just the boys, big crowds for at least a half.

In the Louisville metro area almost all games are boy/girl DH. Freshman and JV games are played Monday and Thursday at the school opposite the host of the varsity games on Tuesday and Friday. The times rotate each game with the idea of keeping Title IX in line. I agree it can interfere with practice sometimes but that is where coaches have to decide to not worry about JV and freshman records and use these games as glorified scrimmages. If done correctly, in my opinion, this is perhaps more effective than scrimmaging your teammates daily. Teammates know your plays and cheat on D, and players know each other's tendencies. By working against another team you get a true sense of game speed. The problem is parents don't want these games used as practice; they just want their child to win. The line we use at our school is "they don't put JV and freshman games in the paper." The players could care less about playing that many games in a week. They'd play every day if allowed; just ask them. Our players BEG to play the JV games b.c they know they can work on stuff without the pressure of it being a "real" game. I love it personally, and yes, we have been VERY successful with this approach and have a great girl's program b.c of it. Now it took some time and several conversations to convince the parents of this, but now it's just "part of the program" and accepted by all. Just my two cents but had to share. And I love the DH'ers b.c it gives EVERYONE, not just the boys, big crowds for at least a half.

At Louisville Male, there are only about 4 B/G DHers. The rest of the games are Boys only/ Girls only.

At Louisville Male, there are only about 4 B/G DHers. The rest of the games are Boys only/ Girls only.

That may be b.c the boy's program at Male is dominant while the girl's program is far from that. I did say "almost all" games were boy/girl DH. Male also has the money, parents, and booster program to make things happen that most school struggle with. May also be that Crews doesn't want to share the spotlight with Scully. Or the other way around. haha

This may also be why the girl's program is struggling and didn't have a freshman team for the first time since moving to their new bldg. back in the '80's. Do you think there may be a connection?

Most 19th District games (Washington Co., Bethlehem, Bardstown, Nelson Co.) are scheduled as DHs.

I like having district games scheduled as boy/girl doubleheaders. Garrard County does this quite often with Lincoln County and Boyle County, and occasionally with Danville. We've also played several doubleheaders over the years with former district foe Mercer County and even now when they aren't in the same district.

This may also be why the girl's program is struggling and didn't have a freshman team for the first time since moving to their new bldg. back in the '80's. Do you think there may be a connection?

IMO, There are several reasons why the girls program is struggling. In any case I was just pointing out that at Male they don't play many DH'ers.

And yes, there is no excuse for a school that size not to be able to field a freshman team. Technically they could have fielded a freshman team, but those freshmen were playing JV. (and 2 played varsity).