Girl Boy Doubleheaders

IMO, There are several reasons why the girls program is struggling. In any case I was just pointing out that at Male they don't play many DH'ers.

And yes, there is no excuse for a school that size not to be able to field a freshman team. Technically they could have fielded a freshman team, but those freshmen were playing JV. (and 2 played varsity).

There are several reasons that girl's basketball is suffering in Louisville, not just at Male. The biggest, IMO, being that Manual has around 50 girls in their program and are still taking more, such as the West girl that left you all. It's all a mess and hopefully will be corrected soon. Good luck to Male this year and I hope you turn it around. It's a shame to see what this great school has become in girl's athletics.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are several reasons that girl's basketball is suffering in Louisville, not just at Male.

I wouldn't say that girls' basketball is suffering in Louisville...not everyone is going to be among the elite each year, but Louisville has their share of power teams this year...Butler (defending state champs!), Iroquois, Mercy, Manual... not sure about Sacred Heart this year, but SH's been pretty darn good of late...

I like the B/G Doubleheaders or is that G/B doubleheaders? In either case I think it gives fans an opportunity to see both varsity teams. Some that would normally only watch one or the other.

However, Our school only has one scheduled. If KHSAA mandates Girls play 2nd in at least half of the scheduled DH, what's half of one?

This would be a subject for another thread, but IMHO girl's basketball THROUGHOUT THE CITY is suffering. You are correct that a few select schools are doing VERY well, but the majority of schools barely have enough girls to field two teams, and that is only by allowing varsity players to play on the JV level. Even Iroqois will be struggling after this year. I understand why it's happening; the academics and discipline are better at Manual and Butler while Iroquois has enjoyed an immensely talented group of kids that have been there since 7th grade. But when you have schools such as Male and Eastern, good schools, struggling to get players then something is out of line. But who wouldn't want their child to go to one of the best high schools in Kentucky? However, not just any child should be able to get into Manual or Butler and that hasn't been the case the last few years. That's why you see the same names year in and out coming out of Louisville. And don't even get me started on the whole private school issue...haha

Manual is killing the other public's in Louisville. They are literally cherry-picking the best athletes (especially in the girls sports).

They got Shelby West from Male

April Wilson from Collegiate

Kara Wright from Farnsley Middle

Lauren Bodine from Jeff Co Traditional Middle

And thats just this season. April and Kara are 2 of the top freshmen in the state. Manual is really loading up. And I don't blame their parents at all for sending them there. Manual is a great school. But from a competitive standpoint, it is hard to compete when they can pick and choose students.

PS And I realize Butler just won state.

I like the B/G Doubleheaders or is that G/B doubleheaders? In either case I think it gives fans an opportunity to see both varsity teams. Some that would normally only watch one or the other.

However, Our school only has one scheduled. If KHSAA mandates Girls play 2nd in at least half of the scheduled DH, what's half of one?

If they play only 1 girl/boy DH it really doesn't matter who plays 2nd. The rules are that if a school plays 2 girl/boy DH's the girls HAVE to be 2nd in at least 1 of them, if they play 4 DH's the girls have to be 2nd in at least 2 of them and so and so on.