Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Girl Boy Doubleheaders

Featured Replies

Some schools play a lot of girl boy double headers for their varsity teams. The girls sometimes play the 2nd game after the boys. Junior varsity games are scheduled on other nights and those kids that are playing on the JV and also on the varsity are out more nights. Practices are some times disrupted when the JV team is not there due to them having a game that night. Administrators like them because it is one less night of supervision for them.

 

Do you think they are good for the girls' program? Your thoughts?

  • Replies 36
  • Views 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some schools play a lot of girl boy double headers for their varsity teams. The girls sometimes play the 2nd game after the boys. Junior varsity games are scheduled on other nights and those kids that are playing on the JV and also on the varsity are out more nights. Practices are some times disrupted when the JV team is not there due to them having a game that night. Administrators like them because it is one less night of supervision for them.

 

Do you think they are good for the girls' program? Your thoughts?

 

I think they are good for girls programs. I know at Holmes, when they play Holy Cross for the City Championship every year, there is ALWAYS a HUGE crowd for the boys game. When the girls play first, it almost guarantees there will be a big crowd to see them since the majority of the time you have to get there early to get a seat for the boys game.

 

With fans showing up early, it allows them to see the girls team and draw more interest if they've never seen them before.

The schools in my area play boy-girl doubleheaders with the jv games being played in the auxillary gym. I know not every school has that but it is good for everyone when the jv and varsity teams can all play in one night. It makes it easier and cheaper for the fans.

I would love to see a CovCath/NDA DH vs. anybody, as maybe then the NDA Bball team would have more than a handful of NDA students watch them play! There has always been more NDA girls attending a CovCath game, then ever shows up at a NDA game and that is truly sad, as the NDA team deserve better than that from their own classmates!

I think that a couple a season are fun, but anymore than that is just too hard on the kids who play both JV and varsity and the coaches.

If you have boys/girls dh's a lot and the JV play their games on another night, you could very easily have players who play both V and JV out for 4 games a night and not practicing much at all.

 

For example, Monday night JV game. Tuesday night girl/boy DH. Wednesday practice. Th JV game. Friday night Boy/girl DH.

As long as the girls play first. When Garrard County schedules boy/girl doubleheaders and the boys play first, they have a big crowd. But once the boys game is over, usually more than half the crowd heads to the exits. I understand why they leave, but it has to be discouraging for the girls.

As long as the girls play first. When Garrard County schedules boy/girl doubleheaders and the boys play first, they have a big crowd. But once the boys game is over, usually more than half the crowd heads to the exits. I understand why they leave, but it has to be discouraging for the girls.

 

My experience they gave the girls a chance in the 2nd game and stayed for the beginning. Girls playing well and they stayed for the game.

This is largely the result of Title IX, which pretty much forced high schools to schedule some girls' varsity games on the "primetime" day (Friday) at the "preferred" time (7:30 pm).

 

Some schools may have had the occasional boy/girl DH before, but this prompted the proliferation of them.

 

I personally LOVE them. The crowds are up, and - as a HS broadcaster - I can do two varsity games in one night.

This is largely the result of Title IX, which pretty much forced high schools to schedule some girls' varsity games on the "primetime" day (Friday) at the "preferred" time (7:30 pm).

 

Some schools may have had the occasional boy/girl DH before, but this prompted the proliferation of them.

 

I personally LOVE them. The crowds are up, and - as a HS broadcaster - I can do two varsity games in one night.

 

I actually think schools lose money when they schedule girls in the "primetime" slot and the boys the early game. Many people can't make it to a 6:00 game.

I actually think schools lose money when they schedule girls in the "primetime" slot and the boys the early game. Many people can't make it to a 6:00 game.

 

You may be right...I really don't know. But a lot of people will show up anyway, even if a little late.

 

I really haven't noticed any appreciable difference in the three Oldham schools in terms of crowd size when the boys game is first. The ADs / coaches may disagree with me here... Of course, if the girls program has not developed much of a following, I imagine it could be an issue as people would decide not to come late when they might not intend to stay for the girls game. At Oldham and South Oldham, at least, they have a pretty rich girls' basketball heritage, so the people typically stay for both games.

I would say it helps girls program if they share the gate and concessions.

Thankfully Title IX has stopped making the girls feel like a warm-up to the main event. I never could understand why the boys always had the second game when maybe the girls had the much better team. Most of the girls games I attend in the 8th region have pretty good attendance on their own

Let me begin by saying that I do advocate for girls basketball. However, I hate B/G DH, it takes away from your freshmen and jv programs in both sports

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.