Reality of Life at Ft. Campbell

FalconBacker

Nice article that discusses the real life events which shape the character of the Ft. Campbell family football program:

Carter's transformation into a defensive team leader has been a process of the past two years, but it's been this past season that has been the most trying for the senior.

On June 5, Carter's father was killed in Iraq. The pain of losing a dad was something Carter could barely withstand.

http://theleafchronicle.com/article/20081119/HSSPORTS01/811190341

Josh is a great kid. Polite, funny, charming, he's a wonderful young man.

I was devastated when I got the message about his father, since I'm (indirectly) stationed with him over here, I knew about it pretty quickly.

I recently saw a piece on ESPN about some high school out in California with Joe Montana's son, Wayne Gretzky's son, and Will Smit's son. While the piece was entertaining and all because of it's trivial nature, and our obsession with fame, I couldn't help but wonder about our very own Fort Campbell Falcons. These boys face a challenge that virtually no other high school (as a whole) has to face.

Growing up is hard, growing up knowing that one of your parents may not come home is even harder. Kudos to the Leaf Chronicle for writing a good story, and kudos to the Falcons for continually playing (and winning at) football under a stress that the majority of high school atheletes will NEVER have to endure.

Thanks for sharing FalconBacker, if the site had a rep system, you'd definitely get some.

Later.

I was devastated when I got the message about his father, since I'm (indirectly) stationed with him over here, I knew about it pretty quickly.

I recently saw a piece on ESPN about some high school out in California with Joe Montana's son, Wayne Gretzky's son, and Will Smit's son. While the piece was entertaining and all because of it's trivial nature, and our obsession with fame, I couldn't help but wonder about our very own Fort Campbell Falcons. These boys face a challenge that virtually no other high school (as a whole) has to face.

Growing up is hard, growing up knowing that one of your parents may not come home is even harder. Kudos to the Leaf Chronicle for writing a good story, and kudos to the Falcons for continually playing (and winning at) football under a stress that the majority of high school atheletes will NEVER have to endure.

Thanks for sharing FalconBacker, if the site had a rep system, you'd definitely get some.

Later.

Post of the year. :ylsuper:

My heart goes out to those families. God Bless them all. I too cheer for the Falcons.

I really appreciate this article being posted and reading about a fine young man. I also think about the value of football when I read this. Football is a sport of dedication and committment and family. I am sure the Ft. Campbell football family has been a big support to Josh and it is great that he has that in his life at a tough time. I think all who hear this story will become Falcon fans. Let's pray that all the future homecomings are happy ones.

Very good article. Thanks for sharing it with us all. It has to be tough on the kid losing his father but it's good to know that family values are instilled in his teammates and the program and they are all there to help him and provide a support system in difficult times.

Wow this was a very good article....and I think it would make for a VERY interesting feature piece to compare the culture of the teams and their fan bases who competed in the 2A, 3A, and 4A State Title games last year.

2A Fort Campbell vs. Newport Central Catholic

3A Belfry vs. Lou. Central

4A Lone Oak vs. Lexington Catholic

All three games had teams from nearly completely different cultural backgrounds

Later.

My heart goes out to all these kids and what they withstand at FC. They are an amazing bunch. Says a lot for their coaching staff to be able to bring it all together for a good. I also send my heartfelt prayer that we can bring them all home safe. As Fort Campbell brings home about 10,000 Soldiers this winter they are still deploying out over 2,000 more. It is a never ending rotation. Good luck to those also just heading out. And safe returns to those coming home. Falcons give them all again something to be proud of.

Josh's dad hired us to take pictures of Josh in the finals last year. I exchanged email with James and we talked on the phone about Josh, Fort Campbell football, and the military. I know from our short conversation that James was very caring and one proud papa when it came to Joshua (dad called him Joshua). James Carter was a true hero that made the ultimate sacrifice for our freedom.

I found this link about James.

I am pulling for you Josh.

Here is a picture of Josh #57.

Carter.jpg