Painter

Who wins this one?  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins this one?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Care to make that bolded comment clear? Because the way I read it is Russell beats Ashland every year. If you mean that the Ashland/Russell game is usually a close contest that could go either way, well I agree. Other wise your way off base.

I think what he is sayingis if Russell would have beat Ashland,there would'nt be talk about Russell opening up there offense more and running more than there 4 play's.Thats the way i took it.

I see alot of low and close score. Simon Kenton likes to score alot of points, if Russell is going to compete with them they are going to have to light up the scoreboard as well. If I was playing for Russell I would be as bitter as chalk, after having them beat last year and getting a penalty at the end that moved them into field goal range. In my opinion Russell won that game last year. If Russell comes out and play some Russell football ( which I havent seen them do a whole lot this year), and get gritty and smash mouths, then I think they will come away with this one.

I am a true Russell fan and I played for them for four years. I want them to win but it won't happen as long as coach keeps running the same four plays.

It works for the most part but you have to mix it up a little. Also they are to many people making a big deal over the Ashland game. If Russell won the game it wouldn't have been news so I understand a little it does'nt happen that often.

Russell 28

SK 42

Good luck Russell I hope I'm wrong.

:flame: :fire::fire::fire::fight:

No offense, but I dont think the same coach having 300 wins, two state championships, and almost a 50 game home winning streak running those 4 plays is working more than just "most" of the time.

I believe that some years we have players that can "execute" those "4" plays better than other years. Maybe this year is one of those years. But still a 6-1 mark right now is pretty good.

Edited by Russelldad

Heard Russell has a new lineman eligible' date=' supposed to be pretty good. Should sure up that left tackle position and give them a pretty decent line. Of course, we'll see if Russell coaches are willing to replace a coach's son on the oline. Doubtful.[/quote']

This is good news for both the offensive and defensive lines if what we have heard is true. I actually think the skill positions are up to par for Russell this year. It is the line that is weaker than in year's past. I didn't realize it is a coach's son on the offensive line that he would be replacing, though. That's interesting.

No offense, but I dont think the same coach having 300 wins, two state championships, and almost a 50 game home winning streak running those 4 plays is working more than just "most" of the time.

I believe that some years we have players that can "execute" those "4" plays better than other years. Maybe this year is one of those years. But still a 6-1 mark right now is pretty good.

Most of those wins were against pretty weak competition, especially the last few years. How many talented Russell teams have lost because they only ran those 4 plays? 02 Russell, 00 Russell come to mind right away.

Part of being a great coach means using your players abilities to their full extent, not just doing what you do and if your team is uncapable of doing that then you just take the loss? Is that really coaching to you? Russell will really become a powerhouse once Ivan is gone. Too much wasted talent goes through there.

I see alot of low and close score. Simon Kenton likes to score alot of points, if Russell is going to compete with them they are going to have to light up the scoreboard as well. If I was playing for Russell I would be as bitter as chalk, after having them beat last year and getting a penalty at the end that moved them into field goal range. In my opinion Russell won that game last year. If Russell comes out and play some Russell football ( which I havent seen them do a whole lot this year), and get gritty and smash mouths, then I think they will come away with this one.

Are you suggesting that it was a bad call? Another question is how do you think they won? If it is because SK scored at the end then you need to realize that SK had it won until about 20 seconds to go when Russell took the lead. I agree that it was a shame that one team had to lose, but that team was Russell.

Are you suggesting that it was a bad call? Another question is how do you think they won? If it is because SK scored at the end then you need to realize that SK had it won until about 20 seconds to go when Russell took the lead. I agree that it was a shame that one team had to lose, but that team was Russell.

I didn't think the referees decided last year's game. It was a really great game, though. I hope this year's can live up to it.

Most of those wins were against pretty weak competition, especially the last few years. How many talented Russell teams have lost because they only ran those 4 plays? 02 Russell, 00 Russell come to mind right away.

Part of being a great coach means using your players abilities to their full extent, not just doing what you do and if your team is uncapable of doing that then you just take the loss? Is that really coaching to you? Russell will really become a powerhouse once Ivan is gone. Too much wasted talent goes through there.

You have a lot of valid points in that most of the wins that Russell has gotten over the last few years have been against very weak competition and that it has been a longstanding joke that Russell runs the same plays over and over and has done so for many years now. Ever since they moved down in class, it seems that most of the schedule has been filled with weak competition IN COMPARISON TO THE PROGRAM THAT RUSSELL HAS BUILT.

Also, I don't think it's any secret as to how defenses can line up to stop Russell. Obviously, they can generally count on the same running plays more often than not.

That being said, I still respect Coach McGlone for what he has done and continues to do. Do you really think that Russell has that much more talent coming through than other area schools? Why would they? Russell always manages to be very competitive with, if not better than, all the area schools, though.

Here's a summary of Russell's results over the last 11 years (I counted this year as well) with an emphasis on how we compare to our area teams (and by that I mean 16th region schools):

* Russell's overall record in the last 11 years: 108-30

* Russell's overall record vs Ashland in the last 11 years: 6-5

* Russell's overall record vs Boyd in the last 11 years: 8-3

* Russell's overall record vs Greenup in the last 11 years: 9-2

* Playoff record - Russell has played as long or longer into November/December than any other team in our area for the past 11 years in a row. In fact, every other team from our area has usually been destroyed when they get far enough in the playoffs to be playing good competition:

2007 - lost to Breathitt by 3 in state quarterfinals,

2006 - beat Corbin by 8, shut out Belfry 19-0 at Belfry, lost state championship game by 3 to Mercer

2005 - won at Newport by 1, beat Belfry by 6, won state championship over Owensboro Catholic by 13

2004 - lost to eventual state champ Belfry in state semifinals

2003 - lost to Lloyd Memorial in state quarterfinals

2002 - lost at eventual state champ Breathitt by 1 in state semifinals

2001 - lost to Fleming in 2nd round

2000 - lost to Lexington Cathoic by 1 in 2nd round

1999 - lost to Boyle in 2nd round

1998 - lost to Prestonsburg by 6 in 1st round

Russell and Ashland are very similar in talent year in and year out. Other than that, no other school in the area compares. Ashland is a larger school and thus has to play better competition. Therefore, they don't traditionally make it as far in the state playoffs. I think Russell has established themselves as a "powerhouse" in our area. Are they a statewide powerhouse? No. But I think they have done enough to at least be respected statewide. These are pretty good results that Coach McGlone has had...not mentioning the fact that he won the state in 1978 as well with an entirely different generation of Russell players.

Edited by Watusi

What really blows my mind is how down you guys are on Coach McGlone and your team. Last I checked, you are 5-1 and ranked 3rd in 3A. I realize that you feel you are not as deep this year, but even the elite teams in the state (including Russell) cannot reload to the same caliber every year. I also think you guys are jumping the gun with regards to second guessing the play calling. Everyone and their brother has known what plays were coming and still couldn't stop it. Sometimes, no matter the play call, the other team is just better. Best I can tell it's only been once so far this year. I am glad you guys are as passionate about your team as I am for mine, but you guys appear ready to abandon ship and you have hardly left port! If and only if, you guys struggle with your remaining 3 games will I understand your current struggles. Until then, you have the tradition and the respect worthy of an elite team, imo.