Painter

Who wins this one?  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins this one?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think SK will be just a bit too much for the Devils this Friday. I'm not too sure Russell has seen a Rb like Miles Simpson this year.

Although Ashland has a stable of running backs who share the wealth, Rashard Carter has carried the ball 139 times for 1,016 yards…Simpson has 98 rushing attempts this season and has amassed 1,017 total yards. Russell lost that game 36 – 10.

I might add too, there is another opponent who lies ahead of Russell who can run the ball pretty well too....but that will be the topic of another thread.:sssh:

I think Wildcat Willy said it all. This is the week we begin to find out if this Russell team is a contender or a pretender.

Last week, these two teams faced polar opposite competition. Simon Kenton lost to powerhouse Boone County. Russell destroyed winless Lewis County. In reality, I'm not sure as to the outcome of this game, but my heart picks Russell.

Russell 31 Simon Kenton 28 (thanks to a Jason Dolly FG)

I wouldn't say Russell destroyed Lewis. They looked rather flat if u ask me.

Although Ashland has a stable of running backs who share the wealth, Rashard Carter has carried the ball 139 times for 1,016 yards…Simpson has 98 rushing attempts this season and has amassed 1,017 total yards. Russell lost that game 36 – 10.

I might add too, there is another opponent who lies ahead of Russell who can run the ball pretty well too....but that will be the topic of another thread.:sssh:

The Simpson kid is realy good. Rashard is also, don't get me wrong, i's taken Simpson 40 less carries to reach that total.

The Simpson kid is realy good. Rashard is also, don't get me wrong, i's taken Simpson 40 less carries to reach that total.

I’ve not seen Simpson play UKCAT and I really am not trying to draw a comparison of value that these two players have to their respective teams...but statistically, they have similar numbers. It appears Simpson carries most of the rushing load for his team…Carter (as you know) is one of several contributors to Ashland’s ground game.

Playing a NKY team is good for Russell. If they play well, it will get some of this weight off their back. They are a really good team with only one loss. I guess when you build a tradition, you can't be good enough. One loss seems to have unraveled the faithful on Red Devil Hill. No matter the outcome of this one, it makes Russell even better for the playoffs.

They are a really good team with only one loss. I guess when you build a tradition, you can't be good enough. One loss seems to have unraveled the faithful on Red Devil Hill.

I think most of the doubt of this Russell team comes from three things:

(1) the fact that their 6 wins have come against teams with a combined 7-31 record (with 4 of the wins coming from an average at best Boyd County team)

(2) their bad 36-10 loss to Ashland

(3) the expectations coming from the success of their past teams

I suppose I could look on the bright side for a change and answer these doubts with:

(1) They can only play the teams on their schedule and much of the weak part of their schedule is due to the pathetic district they have been placed in. The fact is that they have beaten all the teams they have been supposed to beat and have done so easily.

(2) The Ashland game was 13-10 midway through the 3rd quarter when things appeared to fall apart for Russell leading to a very ugly 4th quarter.

(3) They can't do anything about the expectations.

The reality is that they might not be as decimated as many think. Essentially, they have a 4 game season with 6 scrimmage games mixed in. They lost the first game at Ashland. Now, they have to go to Simon Kenton before closing at home against Mason County and Raceland.

As of now, all we really know is they didn't play well on September 19th at Ashland. What happens from here on out is anyone's guess. Win or lose, though, I don't anticipate seeing another game like the Ashland game because:

(1) I don't think any of the remaining teams on Russell's schedule are that much better than Ashland.

(2) I expect that the Russell players have some pride and will respond to the doubts with a stronger effort.

(3) I think Ivan McGlone is a pretty good coach who can figure out over the course of a season what his team can and cannot do. When the games become important, I think he will have more answers than he did in the Ashland game where they seemed to insist on running the ball over and over into a defensive formation where their blockers were outnumbered.

The Mason County game is the most important of the final 3 because it is for home field in the playoffs. The Raceland game is the 2nd most important because it would be a bad loss on their home field heading into the playoffs...not to mention it's another "bragging rights" game. If they are going to pick a game to expirement, then it would be this week at Simon Kenton.

This game will tell a lot to the coaching staff as well i think. They did play evenly with Ashland till the last quarter of the game and Ashland will be the best team they will play in the regular season. The players have had enough time to get the debacle of the Ashland game out of there system and come out fighting and get on a good roll to end the regular season.