BGP 3A Rankings

Isn't the whole idea of the pre-season rankings to try and predict how teams will finish? If not, then I don't understand the point of the pre-season rankings. If its not a list of the best teams and how they are gonna finish, then what kind of list is it?

Read EKU's post.

Rankings and Predictions are two different animals.

BGP's pre season rankings reflect the voting committee's thoughts on how good the teams are right now.

Consequently, as the season progresses, games are played, personnel changes, etc., the rankings are done and re-done each week. Those weekly rankings are done to reflect how good those teams are at that time.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Read EKU's post.

BGP's pre season rankings reflect the voting committee's thoughts on how good the teams are right now.

Consequently, as the season progresses, games are played, personnel changes, etc., the rankings are done and re-done each week. Those weekly rankings are done to reflect how good those teams are at that time.

So its fair to say the committee feels that there are 6 better 3A teams than Russell.

There are lots of factors that "could" affect where a team is ranked. Everything from last season results and returning personnel to coaches opinions and other fans opinions may play into it.

I loved this quote from theguru in another thread...

At the end of the day doing the rankings is both an art and a science and you have to excel in art. tongue.gif

Exactly.

Note that at the end of last season, BGP had Belfry ranked #1 and Central at #2, yet correctly picked Central to win the state title in the playoff preview.

Also, Lexington Catholic was ranked second in 4A, yet was picked to win in the playoff preview.

Its ust usually when you see pre-season rankings, they are predictions for how the season will end. Usually ignoring home or away, just going on by who the voters think has the most talented team. I like to see Russell get underestimated every once in awhile. They will be better than last year, yet not picked to make it past the second round.

Its ust usually when you see pre-season rankings, they are predictions for how the season will end. Usually ignoring home or away, just going on by who the voters think has the most talented team. I like to see Russell get underestimated every once in awhile. They will be better than last year, yet not picked to make it past the second round.

I don't think I have ever seen a pre-season ranking with that intent.

Russell, IMO, should be ranked higher but here is some reasons why the Devils may be listed where they are now:

1. Tyler Jones- Jones was the lifeblood of Russell's team last year on offense and defense, his departure leaves alot of uncertainty, especially with Cordle whom Russell can't seem to decide will be more suited for passing or running the Wing-T.

2. Adam Bates- Abrams is the workhorse returning, but Bates figured to be an important part of Russell's offense. His injury definately leaves a major question mark in an otherwise stellar backfield.

3-4. Offensive/Defensive Line- The Devils are certainly talented in the skill areas, but an O-line with only one returning starter in a Class saturated with top teams returning relatively everyone on defensive fronts makes this a key question. Additionally, with top teams in 3A being run relient a defensive line with only one starter also could be a potential liability.

These are all question marks the Devils enter the season with... as I said I personally would have pegged them at #5 to start the season, but I can see where a #7 ranking could be justified.

Well said EKU. I would say that there is not many other teams in the state ranked as high as Russell with the returning starters they have. I would take it as a compliment to Russell's program for them to be ranked in the top 10 with a whole new backfield starting the season and only one offensive lineman returning.

So its fair to say the committee feels that there are 6 better 3A teams than Russell.

Given the information available to them now; yes, I'd say it's fair to say that. :thumb:

... Russell, IMO, should be ranked higher but here is some reasons why the Devils may be listed where they are now:

1. Tyler Jones- Jones was the lifeblood of Russell's team last year on offense and defense, his departure leaves alot of uncertainty, especially with Cordle whom Russell can't seem to decide will be more suited for passing or running the Wing-T.

2. Adam Bates- Abrams is the workhorse returning, but Bates figured to be an important part of Russell's offense. His injury definately leaves a major question mark in an otherwise stellar backfield.

3-4. Offensive/Defensive Line- The Devils are certainly talented in the skill areas, but an O-line with only one returning starter in a Class saturated with top teams returning relatively everyone on defensive fronts makes this a key question. Additionally, with top teams in 3A being run relient a defensive line with only one starter also could be a potential liability.

These are all question marks the Devils enter the season with... as I said I personally would have pegged them at #5 to start the season, but I can see where a #7 ranking could be justified.

This illustrates the old saying: never ask questions you don’t want to hear answered. :D

Well said EKU. I would say that there is not many other teams in the state ranked as high as Russell with the returning starters they have. I would take it as a compliment to Russell's program for them to be ranked in the top 10 with a whole new backfield starting the season and only one offensive lineman returning.

Well informed I see. Cordle will replace Jones nicely I think. While he won't be able to replace the intangibles Tyler had, he can replace the yards. He bring a much more accurate passing game. With the recievers Russell has in TE and SE, Dillon and Mitchell. If AJ can come out throwing with some confidence and make good passes, I believe Russell will be throwing as much as they did in 98 with Wyant and Day. The year Day set the school record for TD's before it was broken by Gross. I'm not saying they are gonna throw the ball 30 times a game. I wouldn't however, if Mcglone has some confidence in AJ, be surprised to see 15 passes in some games this year. You put that on top of the whole new backfield, which actually returns everyone, except Bates, who is only out due to a motorcycle accident. (I wish him a speedy recovery, even if he misses the season, just like to see him be 100% healthy again) So this new backfield returns the leading rusher from last year in Abrams, who should be an animal this season. Along with Bailey, the teams all-purpose yards leader. I believe he had a decent game against your Rams last year.

As for the line, when has Russell ever had a bad line? They usually have 5 or 6 players capable of playing the Guard position. Blevins should be a good replacement for Hicks at Center. Miller is probably the best Tackle in the area. Foster will be a tough one to replace, but I fully believe Kam Smith is up for the duty, and will have a great season there, and could be the best guard in the area. I don't see a team on Russell's schedule who will have a better line than they bring. This could possibly be the most potently offensive team Russell has had since before Gross. Who was great, don't get me wrong. He was just mainly the only weapon Russell had, same with K. Clark. None of these players may be as good as either of them, but they may be much better as a group. Also, Will Rice will have just as good, if not better season at FB than Bates did last year.

So I guess they are just lucky, and should take it as a compliment, that the ranking committe found it in their hearts to rank them in the top 10.

Can't wait till week 10, when I can watch my Devils play host to the Rams.

I'm afraid that you took my comments as jabs at Russell, when in fact, they were quite the opposite. I am confident that Russell will have a good team. I am confident that the offensive line will be good. And I am confident that the backfield will be good as well.

I was only saying that the reason that Russell was not ranked higher was do to the fact that they graduated a good deal of talented players, and will miss Bates being at 100% for the first part of the season.

I stand my the my statement that I doubt there are very many teams in the state ranked as high as Russell with the number of returning starters that Russell has back. Again, a compliment to Russell.