BGP 3A Rankings

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am curious to hear the explanation of Belfry over Central. Central will be loaded and have faced four of the toughest in the state by the end of the season with St X, Highlands, Male, and Manual. I can't believe Belfry has the same talent nor will they have played anyone the caliber of the four teams mentioned.

I am curious to hear the explanation of Belfry over Central. Central will be loaded and have faced four of the toughest in the state by the end of the season with St X, Highlands, Male, and Manual. I can't believe Belfry has the same talent nor will they have played anyone the caliber of the four teams mentioned.

As it is the Belfry-Central title game last year was one of the closest and really hinged on turnovers. If Belfry has much of that team returning I suspect they would take Central much more seriously.

As it is the Belfry-Central title game last year was one of the closest and really hinged on turnovers. If Belfry has much of that team returning I suspect they would take Central much more seriously.

I don't think that was a problem with the Belfry team or coaches, but I suspect you are dead on with regard to the Belfry fans. :thumb:

The preseason is fun, isn't it? I agree with all you said, you echo my personal thoughts very well regarding Belfry/Central as you pose all legitimate questions. I think Scribe addressed it well in another thread.

I can't speak for everyone, but consider this about the preseason rankings --

They are how we see things now. They aren't a prediction of how things will finish up. While Trinity may very well be at the top of the heap in December, right now, St. X appears ahead of them in many areas based on the number of starters returning and holes to fill.

The same way with Belfry. While Central has several D-1 players on their team, they have several important holes to fill. While those holes may be filled nicely later in the year, Belfry appears to be ahead of them based on the now.

For me, 2A was tough to rank because most of the top teams lost several starters. There may not be a class as close from 1-10 as 2A.

I like the idea of ranking every team in the preseason. I think BGP is the only outlet that does this by class.

Like Watusi said, I see Scribe's logic.

There certainly is no denying that Belfry is not a legit and loaded team. Last year's team would have been regarded as the best Pirate team of All-Time had they beaten Central, and they return a TON of talent from that team on both sides of the ball. Belfry got beat by Central in the Championship, but the 3A Title game was probably the most even matchup of championship weekend as the game literally depended on timely turnovers and penalties to seperate the two.

The difference at this point is Central has some unbelievable talent on defense, but their offense is a major mystery after losing over 90% of their production from last year and most of their O-line. Belfry, OTOH, returns all but one OL, and returns nearly 3000 yards of offensive production from their skill players including a 3 year starter at QB and a 1300 yard rusher in Lee.

With that said,,,, IMO Central is the team to beat in 3A, and no matter how talented Belfry will be on offense it is going to to be a battle for nay team to score on this Yellowjacket defense.

Belfry's schedule may very well do them in. Central will face a tougher road and might be better off for it.

Central was very strong on the defensive LOS last season and IMO had a very nice gameplan in the finals. They did lose a lot of talent and experience on offense though.

I would rank Central #1 with Belfry #2.

The preseason is fun, isn't it? I agree with all you said, you echo my personal thoughts very well regarding Belfry/Central as you pose all legitimate questions. I think Scribe addressed it well in another thread.

I guess I could put this on any of the rankings threads but I'll put it here.

It is much much easier for me or anyone else to sit here and criticize the ranking with out producing my own. The job of scouting reviewing and placing these teams has to be a tremendous challenge. As much as I or anyone wants to complain about any of these rankings I want the people involved with ranking these teams to understand that I appreciate the job that they have done, and further more appreciate that they will sit around and take accountability for the rankings they make, you don't get that often.

I guess I could put this on any of the rankings threads but I'll put it here.

It is much much easier for me or anyone else to sit here and criticize the ranking with out producing my own. The job of scouting reviewing and placing these teams has to be a tremendous challenge. As much as I or anyone wants to complain about any of these rankings I want the people involved with ranking these teams to understand that I appreciate the job that they have done, and further more appreciate that they will sit around and take accountability for the rankings they make, you don't get that often.

AMEN....

Plus, without these rankins what else could we have to argue about that literally every HS football fan has an opinion on?