'Montauk Monster': Creepy Carcass Washes Ashore

HHSDad

What's brownish-purple, goes to the beach and stinks of rotting flesh?

New York's celebrity-obsessed Hamptons summer season got even sillier this week when a strange-looking, very dead creature washed up on a beach in Montauk at the far eastern end of New York's Long Island.

On Tuesday afternoon, a photo was posted on Gawker, the Big Apple's reigning gossip blog, which treated the Montauk monster with characteristic respect: "Good Luck With Your Hell Demons."

The animal looks like a bloated, hairless dog, except that it's got an eagle-like beak, a prominent brow ridge and a curiously elongated front paw.

0_61_montauk_monster_grab.jpg

Gawker Media

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It looks like a wingless griffin.

That's the 2nd time I have heard this. It does.

The sites that I have been reading are saying that it is a dead raccoon that has decomposed in the water. And, that some old guy picked it up and carried it off saying that he was going to have it stuffed and mounted on his wall.

Also, Venom energy drink is offering a bounty for a live one. :laugh:

It's definitely an interesting picture, but if there's one thing I've learned from watching MonsterQuest, it's that these dead animals get very bloated and can decompose quite quickly.

I was about to say, "this is just a decomposing carcass of a dog" until I saw it's mouth or "beak."

Not sure what to make of that. DNA tests will surely find something out.

I guess it could maybe be a large turtle without it's shell??? That might explain the beak. :confused:

Is it just me or does anyone else see this thing giving us the "bird" with his right paw? :D

:laugh:

I guess the raccoon should have been watching where he was going instead of flipping the "bird" to bigfoot for taking his last berry.

Is it just me or does anyone else see this thing giving us the "bird" with his right paw? :D

That's the first thing I noticed then I got sick when I looked at the rest of it. This thing, whatever it is, is out and out disgusting looking:eek::eek::eek:

I saw Jeff Corwin (from Animal Planet) today state that he believed it was a decomposed dead dog or racoon. He stated it could not be a turtle as their spine is in the shell and this animal appears to obviously have a spine. He also stated that the animal would be hairless as would any animal exposed to what this dead carcass had been exposed to. It was obviously a carnivore by the teeth in the photo.

I don't know what it is, but it surely does look strange.