Predicting Kentucky's Season

buzzer beater

I can see a season with 5 or 6 wins which I believe is not a bad season.

Kentucky will have a very difficult time scoring points in the conference. The offensive line will be improved and there is a stable of running backs. If the rookie quarterbacks had last year's receiving corps (Burton, Johnson, and Tamme), you would see much better production than you will see with this young group of receivers. I think Kentucky's lack of speed and youth at the wide out position will allow SEC defenses to dare Kentucky to throw and interceptions will happen often. These outside receivers do not have the speed or experience to stretch the field and it will show.

I am hoping that UK fans are patient because it seems to me the level of expected wins is unrealistic for this team. UK is much improved in the Rich Brooks era, but not ready to win eight or more ballgames year in and year out.

Lower the bar in 2008.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kentucky will have a very difficult time scoring points in the conference. The offensive line will be improved and there is a stable of running backs. If the rookie quarterbacks had last year's receiving corps (Burton, Johnson, and Tamme), you would see much better production than you will see with this young group of receivers. I think Kentucky's lack of speed and youth at the wide out position will allow SEC defenses to dare Kentucky to throw and interceptions will happen often. These outside receivers do not have the speed or experience to stretch the field and it will show.

I am hoping that UK fans are patient because it seems to me the level of expected wins is unrealistic for this team. UK is much improved in the Rich Brooks era, but not ready to win eight or more ballgames year in and year out.

Lower the bar in 2008.

Well said...

Uk's defense will be fine this season!

It's the QB and offense that I'm worried about..A QB in Hartline having to go against Louisville, @ Florida, @ Miss. State, @ Alabama, and play South Carolina who we just can't seem to beat...It'll be a tough year depending on how they handle it!

:thumb::thumb: U.K.'s defense may not be "fine" but imo you are correct, the offense is where the concerns are, not the defense. I don't see how anyone could question that. JMO

Lower the bar in 2008.

:thumb: I certainly agree, I don't think that is "lowering the bar" and imo U.K. fans should continue to expect good teams. I would say instead of lowering the bar just be realistic in what this team has lost from last season. U.K. is far and away better than what the program was when Mumme left it in shambles but the Cats are no where near were they need to be to expect an 8,9,10 win season year in and year out like most of the SEC schools and other top programs around the country do every year. For a lot of places an 8 win season is considered a losing season.

I do believe that Coach Brooks has turned the corner with this program and is heading in the right diection now. I don't expect a huge season at all this year, far from it but I don't expect to see a lousy football team on the field either and I don't think that we will. Those days hopefully are over.

We are thinking similarly.

I don't expect to see a lousy football team on the field at UK anytime soon. At least for now, those days are over.

I do expect to see a team with a good defense who has difficulty scoring points because of a lack of weapons in the passing game.....both the throwers and the receivers. This will especially be evident in conference play.

Go Big Blue!

I don't think 7-5 would be a stretch.

Kentucky should win 3 games for sure, Norfolk State, Middle Tennessee, and WKU. Now i'll give them wins against Vandy and Arkansas. I don't see them beating Bama, South Carolina, Florida, Miss. State, Georgia, and UT. So i'm saying 5-7 for the Cat's this season.

I see them winning one of the big ones (Florida, Louisville, Tennessee, Georgia) and beating Norfolk State, MTSU, Vandy, Arkansas, MSU.

I don't see them winning any of those.

I don't see them beating MSU either, who returns a lot from last season. The QB problem has really set them back.

Louisville has alot of uncertainty and unprovens so I think that one is possible. As for UT, is thier QB situation figured out? And they lost Jerod Mayo? As for playing in the swamp that one could be shaky and Georgia is a power house so that's why I said at least one of those.

Louisville has alot of uncertainty and unprovens so I think that one is possible. As for UT, is thier QB situation figured out? And they lost Jerod Mayo? As for playing in the swamp that one could be shaky and Georgia is a power house so that's why I said at least one of those.

UT returns 7 starters on offense, and 6 on defense. Also their QB, Jonathan Crompton has show he can play. He stepped in last year for Ainge in the SEC championship and did a pretty good job.

As for UL, they only return 3 starters on offense, and 4 on defense. Cantwell can step in and help out that offense a lot. He has good size, and a strong arm. UK could get UL, but I don't know if they will.