Bishop Brossart looking for new coaches...all of them

This entire situation is sad for all involved. I went through this myself when I was a freshman at Newport in 1994. The Head Coach left for what he felt was an opportunity that he could not pass up the last week of July. Bob Miller came out of retirement to try to hold the program together for one year. Newport ended up 0-10 and the downward spiral continued. The following year Roy Lucas Sr. came and if you remember correctly you will remember how things got a whole lot better for Newport in a hurry.

The situation at Bishop Brossart is very sad and all three sides (Coaches, Administration, and Players) are all at an extreme disadvantage at this time.

The Coaches: I want to say that Rodney Ollier and his entire family are a class act and Bishop Brossart was very fortunate to have them. You will not find another coaching staff that always put the players well being first. These Coaches now hope to be picked up by a coaching staff although chances are high that they will be doing it for free considering that most staffs are in place, contracts are signed, and all the normal teams across not only the state but the entire country are practicing right now. This is an absolute slap in the face for Coach Ollier. Rodney, hang in there, better days will come.

The Administration: Now that the Administration has shown just how naive they are about running a football program, they will now struggle to find a quality replacement. Bishop Brossart will not get a quality replacement unless a godsend miracle happens. Most coaches are teachers, such as me, and we are locked into contracts for the coming school year and already practicing. The administration better have a good answer, you better have a teaching position open that pays well or hope that a Para Professional (who in my opinion are some of the best coaches out there) can get there job schedules fixed so that they can run a varsity football team. If you are going to fire a football coach, at least do it in November-December-January so that the new coach can start off winter conditioning and get to know the kids. It takes a long time for kids to gain the trust of a strange man who is going to work their tails and at the same time make them believe that they can win.

The Players: The biggest disadvantaged of the whole situation, the players. They are the ones who this is supposed to be about. The players are as of right now doubting that they are good enough to be coached by anyone.

I want to tell the players this directly who read this website:

Many times in life, you will come across a hurdle that you have no choice but to jump. This is one of those hurdles and a good one for you to jump. Many times there will be a hurdle in the way and you are really not sure if you can jump it. My advice to you is to Control the Controllable Factors. Remember, you cannot control who is hired, fired, or anything else that involves the administration or coaches. These are factors known as the non-controllable factors. The controllable factors that apply to you are giving 100% effort in the weight room and also in running/conditioning. On defense, playing your gap and tackling, on Offense, blocking and taking care of the football, perfection in the kicking game. These are the things that are controlled by you. Coaches cannot block or tackle anyone for you, we had our turn and now it is yours. Regardless of who they hire, control those controllable factors and you will jump this hurdle. Good luck to Bishop Brossart

KYDLINEGUY

BINGO! What ashame. Great people....

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have been in Canada on a fishing trip for the past month and missed out on adding my input to this thread. Better late than never.

First of all, the success of Brossart Football is of utmost importance to those of us near and dear to the program. Obvious, its success (or lack thereof) impacts all of the other sports; the athlete base at our school; and our overall image in the community, especially to potential Brossart Mustangs. We are in a very competitive market for quality athletes, and football has the potential to keep those quality athletes at home. Therefore, we all very much want to see it succeed.

Let me say and agree with those who have provided input on this thread that the Olliers are princes of men and we would have liked nothing more than to have seen them succeed. They were not let go for failure to win, but moreso failure to develop the program and our players. Many of the 45 players who played in our program had expressed that they would not be returning, and many potential Brossart football players and their parents did not like the course that the program seemed to be on under the Olliers, nor did our administration.

I wrote an editorial the day following the conclusion of the 2007 Brossart Varsity Football season which pretty much spells out the state of our program and what needs to be done to allow it to reach its potential. BMustangsFootballEditorial

Those of us close to the program knew back in March that the administration had chosen to make a change, but for whatever reason, hasn't come public with a search until now. I personally tried to encourage the search to be taken public at that time.

Brossart High School has tremendous potential to become a competitive, recognized, established football program. We have six parishes (5 Grade Schools) from which to draw our athletes. We have shown over and again that our athletic programs can be successful. We feel that the football program is no exception, but has stumbled badly out of the gate, and presently seems to be ill-fated.

The right coach and coaching staff that can generate interest in our program, promote the program publicly within our feeder schools, build with players from the bottom up (establishing a junior high team), teach proper skills and technique, establish some discipline and instill pride, can be very successful here at Brossart.

I agree that the timing for establishing a public search for a football staff is horiffic, but for the right young, ambitious coach who has the foresight to realize our potential, Brossart Football can be a gold mine.

Here's hoping we survive our administrative shortcomings!

I heard the new coach was hired this afternoon. I spoke to the new coach and he is ready and anxious for the opportunity to get started. I don't know if I'm allowed to release who it is yet, but it should be public very soon...

Just another normal screw up by the administration. They have handled many other ahtletic decisions very poorly too so I'm not too surprised they screwed this up too. They are only hurting the school and makling it look like a second rate school. Time for them to go is long overdue. Hopefully changes in the future will put Brossart back on the right track.

Just another normal screw up by the administration. They have handled many other ahtletic decisions very poorly too so I'm not too surprised they screwed this up too. They are only hurting the school and makling it look like a second rate school. Time for them to go is long overdue. Hopefully changes in the future will put Brossart back on the right track.

Examples, outside of football?? :confused:

I heard the new coach was hired this afternoon. I spoke to the new coach and he is ready and anxious for the opportunity to get started. I don't know if I'm allowed to release who it is yet, but it should be public very soon...

:ylsuper:Watch out Mustang's here comes the show:dancingpa