Top Teams for 08/09

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sports Guy -- Would have to agree with you that these are the Top 5 teams in pre-season polls. Scott County will probably be#1 in all polls. Some polls will have Elliott #2 while others have GRC or Holmes #2. Other potential Top 10 teams include Manual, Ballard, J-Town, Hazard, Bardstown, and Shelby Valley. Don't think Madisonville and Hood will be that good. They lost the whole starting line-up with the exception of Hood.

Young teams to watch that could move up the charts are Seneca and Boone County. Somehow I can't keep thinking about Lexington Catholic, Covington Catholic, Male, Mason County, and Highlands as they are always tough teams and somehow find their way into the Top 20.

Also, Taylor County with Macon and Cox back should be tough and Hopkins County Central has 6'9" Jones along with another big man back. Christian County is loaded with young talent and should be a Top 25 team. Warren

Central was down a little last year, but should come back into the mix again this year with some outstanding young players. Tates Creek and Henry Clay both have some good young players that should shine this year and TC got one heck of a coach to bring them along. Dunbar with Nick Hudson should be a Top 25 team in pre-season. Corbin and South Laurel should be the cream of the crop in the 13th and both are potential Top 25 teams.

Very good post outside of what I have bolded. Highlands hasn't been a top 20 team in quite some time. They have a very good junior to be in Stephen Kowolonek and a deep junior class but I think they're a year away from possibly being a top 20 team.

Covcath may not even be the second best team in nky so I can't see them being a top 20 team.

Boone Co lost Flannery but has a good junior to be class and a solid freshman class. Boone could find their way in to the top 20 but nky basketball as a whole is always tough so there could be several teams who knock them off. (CCH, NCC, Ryle)

RIGHT NOW, I'd say the only legitimate teams to win a championship next year are Scott Co, Holmes, GRC, and Elliot Co. After these teams there is somewhat of a drop off.

1. Scott Co.

2. Holmes

3. PRP

4. Elliott. Co

5.GRC

6.Lex. Cth

7. Hazard

8. Warren Central

9. Corbin

10. J-town

1. Scott County

2. J'Town

3. Covington Holmes

4. North Hardin

5. Manual

6. Ballard

7. Lexington Cath

8. GRC

9. Dunbar

10. Male

1. Scott County

2. J'Town

3. Covington Holmes

4. North Hardin

5. Manual

6. Ballard

7. Lexington Cath

8. GRC

9. Dunbar

10. Male

North Hardin is a bit of a surprise on your list. What do they have? Also, I think Elliott Co. is a top 10 team. Top 5 in my mind is very debatable, but I think they are a top 10 team.

1. Scott County

2. J'Town

3. Covington Holmes

4. North Hardin

5. Manual

6. Ballard

7. Lexington Cath

8. GRC

9. Dunbar

10. Male

I think J town may be a little too high and GRC too low. Also where is Elliot Co?

Very good post outside of what I have bolded. Highlands hasn't been a top 20 team in quite some time. They have a very good junior to be in Stephen Kowolonek and a deep junior class but I think they're a year away from possibly being a top 20 team.

Covcath may not even be the second best team in nky so I can't see them being a top 20 team.

Boone Co lost Flannery but has a good junior to be class and a solid freshman class. Boone could find their way in to the top 20 but nky basketball as a whole is always tough so there could be several teams who knock them off. (CCH, NCC, Ryle)

RIGHT NOW, I'd say the only legitimate teams to win a championship next year are Scott Co, Holmes, GRC, and Elliot Co. After these teams there is somewhat of a drop off.[/QUOTE]

I would not count out the Louisville schools. Manuel, J-town, and Ballard are all very dangerous teams, who I would consider contenders. Also Dunbar is going to be very strong.

North Hardin is a bit of a surprise on your list. What do they have? Also, I think Elliott Co. is a top 10 team. Top 5 in my mind is very debatable, but I think they are a top 10 team.

North Hardin will be tough next year. Strong starting five, height, and quickness. I think they make some noise and will end up being the surprise team similar to Holmes of last year.

I would not count out the Louisville schools. Manuel, J-town, and Ballard are all very dangerous teams, who I would consider contenders. Also Dunbar is going to be very strong.

True but it will be tough for them coming out of the 7th. Dunbar should be very strong. Forgot about them.

What about Adair CO? They return Ballou.

Adair will be very good with Ballou in the frontcourt and Fudge running the offense. They lose Kimberland which many felt was one of the most underrated players in the 5th. Defensively, North Hardin has what it takes to make a run.

1. Scott County

2. J'Town

3. Covington Holmes

4. North Hardin

5. Manual

6. Ballard

7. Lexington Cath

8. GRC

9. Dunbar

10. Male

Elliot Co. has to be top 5 atleast.

Also, GRC beat Lex Cath last week in a summer camp by 15 and that was without Zollo(he was on the bench on crutches). I don't think Catholic had Botkin though, but Sanford played pretty much the whole game before getting hurt a bit late.

I will go ahead and list mine as of right now.

1. Scott Co.-clear favorite

2. Elliot Co.- best team chemistry with a lot of talent

3. GRC- tons of talent and have mixture of few upperclassmen and the sophs.

4. Holmes- Pittman & Company will be tough for the next couple years.

I think these 4 have the best shot at coming away with a Championship.

These next 6 could probably fall in any of these slots.

5. J Town

6. PRP

7. Lex Cath

8. Hazard

9. Dunbar

10. Manual

There are other schools that could be close such as Corbin, Adair Co., Mason Co., and some NKY and other Louisville schools.

Adair will be very good with Ballou in the frontcourt and Fudge running the offense. They lose Kimberland which many felt was one of the most underrated players in the 5th. Defensively, North Hardin has what it takes to make a run.

I really think the 5th will be tough with Bardstown, Adair, and North Hardin.

I seriously think Adair is the favorite to come out of there though. I can't see them not winning it with a player like Ballou. On the flip side though, Bardstown returns 4 starters. North Hardin will have their work cut out for them.

Question....How many of these players on these teams play other sports? On some of these teams we may not see the "real" team till about late Jan. I know for GRC Williams, Rogers and Pervis all play football. If Vinney Zollo come to GRC I know he has expressed interests in playing scoccer. Just curious as to the top teams that have been mentioned.....what players play multi-sports....which could delay them joining the basketball team at the beginning of the season ?

Does Franklin County get any consideration as a top 20 team?

20 wins last season. Beat GRC without a problem, with their football players having only been out for a week (granted GRC is getting an impact transfer). Played Scott County tough in first round of the 11th region.

They have all players back as they had no seniors last season, and key players are noticeably improved in the off season.

Lex Cath has a great program. They lose 9 seniors and are being mentioned as top 10. Dunbar has some very good players but lost a couple key guys.

I guess we will just have to see how it shakes out.

Does Franklin County get any consideration as a top 20 team?

20 wins last season. Beat GRC without a problem, with their football players having only been out for a week (granted GRC is getting an impact transfer). Played Scott County tough in first round of the 11th region.

They have all players back as they had no seniors last season, and key players are noticeably improved in the off season.

Lex Cath has a great program. They lose 9 seniors and are being mentioned as top 10. Dunbar has some very good players but lost a couple key guys.

I guess we will just have to see how it shakes out.

I actually really like Franklin Co. with Donovan and Meyer back. I think the 11th is just too tough though. While teams like Lexcath and Bryan Station lost key players, they just seem to reload every year.