Top Teams for 08/09

BG Elite--No Elliott County!!! They took State Champ Mason County to the wire and had them on the ropes with a 7 point lead with 3 minutes left. That after getting trounced by 29 at Mason and everybody pronouncing their death sentence in Rupp Arena. NOBODY played Mason tougher in the Sweet Sixteen. They are the only top team that can say we have all 5 starters returning. They have won 74 games the last 3 years, been to the regional final three straight years, won 2 straight 16th region championships, and the four seniors to be have played hundreds of games together since their freshman year. Add 6'7" Tim Knipp who played many minutes as an 8th grader and started last year and then say they won't be a Top 10 team?? But, you are right about one thing. They got no respect last year and many said they shouldn't even be in the Top 25 after getting trounced at Mason.

I heard over and over they don't play anybody and when they do they get beat. They play everybody they are suppose to play and have always played. Sandy Hook is not a suburb of Lexington or Louisville. I suppose it will be the same again this year and as soon as one Top 10 team beats them then everyone will holler they shouldn't be in the Top 25 again. For many of you they won't get any respect until they are playing Saturday morning in Rupp come March. Even then some will still be hollering they just got a lucky draw and if it wasn't for that they would have been beat in the first round. I can tell you that Ferg and the Faulkner twins believe they can play with anyone. And that is what counts since they are the ones on the court who will determine the outcome. Yes they are short and don't look impressive in warm-ups and they don't play in the 7th or 11th region. But, when they throw the ball up they are resilent, determined, and flat out know how to play the game. They continually amaze me with their ability to get to the basket, rebound and defend against much bigger players, and of course they can knock shots down from anywhere on the court. I am back to reality and telling myself don't be surprised if many don't have them out of their Top 10 teams.

I don't think people are really doubting them like you say. Many on here have them as one of the top 4 teams to beat coming back because they do return everyone. I personally think they have the best team chemistry in the state having played so long together.

But in reality, as good as they are, if they were playing in the 7th, 11th, 10th, or 9th region, they wouldn't even get out of the region. Sure they took the eventual champs down to the wire but it will be tough for them to match up with the top teams this year. (SC, Holmes, GRC, etc.)

All 3 of those teams present match up problems for EC because of their size and athleticism. Holmes for example will have 3 6'6 kids on the court at the same time who are all Guards. It's tough to match up with that when you're 6'2. Same goes for SC and GRC. Their size will really present match up problems. The one thing EC does extremely well though and the reason why they could potentially knock off one of those teams is that they shoot lights out. But with that, they will have to shoot lights out to knock off any of those 3 teams because they simply don't have the size to rebound with them.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tony Kimbro, Jr. is transferring to a prep school somewhere in one of the New England states. Said to be @ $40 grand to go there.

In eastern Kentucky, Elliott Co., Hazard and Shelby Valley will be in the top 20 all season.

Sorry, it may be just me, but does Lex Cath really have a top 10 team returning next year? Besides Botkin and Sanford, I don't think they will be that good. I don't think that they have another returning player that played any significant minutes at all. Is it just because they are Lex Cath? Do they have good young talent that I dont know about? I think they will be top 25 but not top 10.

Sorry, it may be just me, but does Lex Cath really have a top 10 team returning next year? Besides Botkin and Sanford, I don't think they will be that good. I don't think that they have another returning player that played any significant minutes at all. Is it just because they are Lex Cath? Do they have good young talent that I dont know about? I think they will be top 25 but not top 10.

They have some new guys to go along with Sanford and Botkin...

Who?

Don't know their names but two athletic guys that could run the floor pretty well and shoot decent played with them recently in some summer games. Maybe some other people could help on the names.

Don't know their names but two athletic guys that could run the floor pretty well and shoot decent played with them recently in some summer games. Maybe some other people could help on the names.

They can't make that big of an impact if they didn't impress you enough to make you remember their names. I think Lex Cath will be average next year and nothing close to what they have been recently. They are just getting thrown into the top 10 because people don't know how good anyone will really be. Its just name recognition.

They can't make that big of an impact if they didn't impress you enough to make you remember their names. I think Lex Cath will be average next year and nothing close to what they have been recently. They are just getting thrown into the top 10 because people don't know how good anyone will really be. Its just name recognition.

the same could be said of the Royals. :cool:

Since it was a summer game there were no announcers and they didnt have names on the back of their jerseys.:rolleyes:

Somebody did say they came from Bryan Station. One of them was their best player on the floor besides Sanford(Botkin didn't play).

Question....How many of these players on these teams play other sports? On some of these teams we may not see the "real" team till about late Jan. I know for GRC Williams, Rogers and Pervis all play football. If Vinney Zollo come to GRC I know he has expressed interests in playing scoccer. Just curious as to the top teams that have been mentioned.....what players play multi-sports....which could delay them joining the basketball team at the beginning of the season ?

Could someone answer my question?

Exactly, Boone beat GRC by 14 this past week, but the five on the floor in summer ball are hodge podge combinations at any given time, so it's hard to tell how good teams really are in summer ball. I say if a team is losing every game in the summer, chances are, they won't be good. However, winning all or majority of the summer games don't necessarily translate to a great team (maybe good, but not great).

Probably best statement I have seen regarding summer ball. Coaches are running out different combinations, JV kids who aren't going to see varsity minutes, even players who might not make the team. Boone Co beats GRC but I think I heard they lost to Scott HS in the same camp. I don't think anyone is claiming Scott should now be favored to win the 10th.

Boone Co & GRC are going to be very good teams when the regular season rolls around.

Question....How many of these players on these teams play other sports? On some of these teams we may not see the "real" team till about late Jan. I know for GRC Williams, Rogers and Pervis all play football. If Vinney Zollo come to GRC I know he has expressed interests in playing scoccer. Just curious as to the top teams that have been mentioned.....what players play multi-sports....which could delay them joining the basketball team at the beginning of the season ?

Like I said in another thread and it has left my mind which one, but Williams and Rogers are just that, football players and really are not impact players on the basketball court. Rogers has some bulk and size but if Zollo enters school at GRC, Rogers will be hard pressed for minutes. Williams is an athlete and outstanding football player, but also not something I am sure GRC will have to wait on to complete a team. Pervis could fit nicely if Zollo comes to GRC, but IMO the other two really won't make a bunch of difference in January.

I don't think people are really doubting them like you say. Many on here have them as one of the top 4 teams to beat coming back because they do return everyone. I personally think they have the best team chemistry in the state having played so long together.

But in reality, as good as they are, if they were playing in the 7th, 11th, 10th, or 9th region, they wouldn't even get out of the region. Sure they took the eventual champs down to the wire but it will be tough for them to match up with the top teams this year. (SC, Holmes, GRC, etc.)

All 3 of those teams present match up problems for EC because of their size and athleticism. Holmes for example will have 3 6'6 kids on the court at the same time who are all Guards. It's tough to match up with that when you're 6'2. Same goes for SC and GRC. Their size will really present match up problems. The one thing EC does extremely well though and the reason why they could potentially knock off one of those teams is that they shoot lights out. But with that, they will have to shoot lights out to knock off any of those 3 teams because they simply don't have the size to rebound with them.

ETA RHO--Very well said and I would have to agree with you that teams like GRC and Scott County will present huge match-up problems. Mason County presented huge match-up problems last year for them. They only shot 28% at Mason Fieldhouse and got pounded. Shot pretty close to their average in Rupp and it was close. They need another 6'6" player like a Colt Barnhill or Leonard Macon on the front-line to complement Ferg and the Twins who are outstanding guards. They start 4 guards and Tim Knipp who really plays more like a small forward at 6'7". But even with no height and a starting line-up of guards they do pretty well being ranked even in the Top 20 in the state.

Depth is also a huge question. Not worried so much about stamina, but foul trouble in a big game would spell doom and despair. There is really no one near the capability of Maynard who would come off the bench and nail some big time threes. Despite the liabilities though to say they are not a Top 10 team is giving them no respect whatsoever. Yes, I could somewhat agree if someone had them as low as #5, #6, or #7 in the state, but not lower than #10. Even if they were ranked #35 I still love watching them play and I had no connection to Elliott County whatsover before the start of last season. I saw them play in the 5/3 and jumped on their bandwagon and now can't seem to get off it. I reside 125 miles from Sandy Hook and will again burn that cheap gas dozens of times to watch them play again this upcoming season. Just feel they are a real HOOSIERS type story and I always like the small schools and the underdog so to speak (although they may have progressed out of the underdog status.) Again, good comments and I respect your analysis which was a good one.

the same could be said of the Royals. :cool:

I would have to agree. I don't think teams like Lex Cath, Cov Cath, or Mason County will be Top 10 teams, but because of tradition and/or coaching the tendency is to put them in there. And with teams like these it seems they are going to be a little down, but by the end of the year they seem to creep back into the picture. Their systems just keep producing good young players who arrive on the scene and its like here comes another Taylor Stewart or another Chris Lofton out of nowhere. Warren Central was down last year, but everyone can't imagine Riley won't have them back in Rupp again very soon, maybe soon being next March.

Teams like my favorite (Elliott County) have a bunch of kids like this once in maybe a half century or longer. After next year Elliott will return to their traditional single digit wins against double digit losses. One of the kid's father playing now reminded me of his playing days at Elliott where they won 5 games which was the norm and got beat the first game in the district every year.