Top Teams for 08/09

Bryan Station does have have a kid 6'8" to 6'9" that is playing this summer. He looks like he could help them. Their guard tandom of Morones and Ashford is argueably the best in the 11th.

As far as Lex Cath......Do they have any incoming transfers?......their Junior to be class is not real strong.......they have some good sophmores to be that don't have much varsity experience. Botkin and Sanford are strong.

All I'm saying about Franklin County is, they will be senior loaded, they have athletes (Deron Hicks D1 football), and have 4 varsity players that are noticeably improved since end of season. They go 6'8", 6'6", 6'4" 275lbs, 6'3",6'3", 6'0". They will go a solid 7 deep. I'll leave it at that and we will see what happens.

I agree. Franklin Co will be tough. I personally would like to see them make some noise in the 11th and knock off some of the traditional powers. They certainly have the team to do it this year if everyone stays healthy.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think a lot of people are overlooking Manual. They may be a year away, but I really think their starting 5 is just as talented as any of the above mentioned teams.

They return Cosby who is a UMass recruit as well as Kimbro who is considered one of the top 50 players in the nation for his class. Let's also not forget about Jenkins and 6'7 Nikolic.

I really like them to win the 7th this year.

I think a lot of people are overlooking Manual. They may be a year away, but I really think their starting 5 is just as talented as any of the above mentioned teams.

They return Cosby who is a UMass recruit as well as Kimbro who is considered one of the top 50 players in the nation for his class. Let's also not forget about Jenkins and 6'7 Nikolic.

Cosby is at Jeffersontown.

I think Crosby transfered to JTown.....Is he now back at Manual?

Top Tier teams:

J'town

Holmes

Scott Co.

Elliott Co.

Clark Co.

Manuel

Dunbar

LexCath

Male

Hazard

2nd tier teams:

Mason Co.

Franklin Co.

Corbin

South Laurel

PRP

Madisonville

Christian Co.

Tates Creek

Warren Central

CovCath

(Im sure Ive looked over couple good teams who though)

Top Tier teams:

J'town

Holmes

Scott Co.

Elliott Co.

Clark Co.

Manuel

Dunbar

LexCath

Male

Hazard

2nd tier teams:

Mason Co.

Franklin Co.

Corbin

South Laurel

PRP

Madisonville

Christian Co.

Tates Creek

Warren Central

CovCath

I'd add Bryan Station to second tier over Covcath.

Soneone said Stenzel didn't even play the second half due to knee injury. It's hard to play 3 games in four hours.

True. Good player, but it was tied after the first half anyway. That was Boone's second game in 3 hours. Doesn't matter anyway. You can't gauge the better of two good teams by summer games.

1. Scott County

2. J'Town

3. Covington Holmes

4. North Hardin

5. Manual

6. Ballard

7. Lexington Cath

8. GRC

9. Dunbar

10. Male

BG Elite--No Elliott County!!! They took State Champ Mason County to the wire and had them on the ropes with a 7 point lead with 3 minutes left. That after getting trounced by 29 at Mason and everybody pronouncing their death sentence in Rupp Arena. NOBODY played Mason tougher in the Sweet Sixteen. They are the only top team that can say we have all 5 starters returning. They have won 74 games the last 3 years, been to the regional final three straight years, won 2 straight 16th region championships, and the four seniors to be have played hundreds of games together since their freshman year. Add 6'7" Tim Knipp who played many minutes as an 8th grader and started last year and then say they won't be a Top 10 team?? But, you are right about one thing. They got no respect last year and many said they shouldn't even be in the Top 25 after getting trounced at Mason.

I heard over and over they don't play anybody and when they do they get beat. They play everybody they are suppose to play and have always played. Sandy Hook is not a suburb of Lexington or Louisville. I suppose it will be the same again this year and as soon as one Top 10 team beats them then everyone will holler they shouldn't be in the Top 25 again. For many of you they won't get any respect until they are playing Saturday morning in Rupp come March. Even then some will still be hollering they just got a lucky draw and if it wasn't for that they would have been beat in the first round. I can tell you that Ferg and the Faulkner twins believe they can play with anyone. And that is what counts since they are the ones on the court who will determine the outcome. Yes they are short and don't look impressive in warm-ups and they don't play in the 7th or 11th region. But, when they throw the ball up they are resilent, determined, and flat out know how to play the game. They continually amaze me with their ability to get to the basket, rebound and defend against much bigger players, and of course they can knock shots down from anywhere on the court. I am back to reality and telling myself don't be surprised if many don't have them out of their Top 10 teams.

BG Elite--No Elliott County!!! They took State Champ Mason County to the wire and had them on the ropes with a 7 point lead with 3 minutes left. That after getting trounced by 29 at Mason and everybody pronouncing their death sentence in Rupp Arena. NOBODY played Mason tougher in the Sweet Sixteen. They are the only top team that can say we have all 5 starters returning. They have won 74 games the last 3 years, been to the regional final three straight years, won 2 straight 16th region championships, and the four seniors to be have played hundreds of games together since their freshman year. Add 6'7" Tim Knipp who played many minutes as an 8th grader and started last year and then say they won't be a Top 10 team?? But, you are right about one thing. They got no respect last year and many said they shouldn't even be in the Top 25 after getting trounced at Mason.

I heard over and over they don't play anybody and when they do they get beat. They play everybody they are suppose to play and have always played. Sandy Hook is not a suburb of Lexington or Louisville. I suppose it will be the same again this year and as soon as one Top 10 team beats them then everyone will holler they shouldn't be in the Top 25 again. For many of you they won't get any respect until they are playing Saturday morning in Rupp come March. Even then some will still be hollering they just got a lucky draw and if it wasn't for that they would have been beat in the first round. I can tell you that Ferg and the Faulkner twins believe they can play with anyone. And that is what counts since they are the ones on the court who will determine the outcome. Yes they are short and don't look impressive in warm-ups and they don't play in the 7th or 11th region. But, when they throw the ball up they are resilent, determined, and flat out know how to play the game. They continually amaze me with their ability to get to the basket, rebound and defend against much bigger players, and of course they can knock shots down from anywhere on the court. I am back to reality and telling myself don't be surprised if many don't have them out of their Top 10 teams.

Because they can. Having watched them on the AAU circuit this spring their is no doubt in my mind that they can.

Case in point....at the King James in Akron Ohio the 1st game they played was against the Boston Area Basketball Club (BABC). Derek Smith all stars only lost by three points. I was told that BABC were the eventual champions of this event. Played them closer than anyone in the tournament. A questionable call on a clean steal by the Faulkners kept the Derek Smith team from tieing the game at the end. BABC had a point guard last name Pressey? that was by far the quickest I've seen. I'd say the Elliott boys played this team pretty well.

This is only one example, I could go on, but the post would be way too long.

Top Tier teams:

J'town

Holmes

Scott Co.

Elliott Co.

Clark Co.

Manuel

Dunbar

LexCath

Male

Hazard

2nd tier teams:

Mason Co.

Franklin Co.

Corbin

South Laurel

PRP

Madisonville

Christian Co.

Tates Creek

Warren Central

CovCath

Boone County has a shot to make the second tier (if all things go well).

You guys are correct.

Do you still like them to win the 7th with out Cosby?

If Kimbro doesn't play, they are probably just better than an average team. Jenkins can't do it all.

Does Franklin County get any consideration as a top 20 team?

20 wins last season. Beat GRC without a problem, with their football players having only been out for a week (granted GRC is getting an impact transfer). Played Scott County tough in first round of the 11th region.

They have all players back as they had no seniors last season, and key players are noticeably improved in the off season.

Lex Cath has a great program. They lose 9 seniors and are being mentioned as top 10. Dunbar has some very good players but lost a couple key guys.

I guess we will just have to see how it shakes out.

Franklin Co should be in the top 20 IMO.