Top Teams for 08/09

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ETA RHO--Very well said and I would have to agree with you that teams like GRC and Scott County will present huge match-up problems. Mason County presented huge match-up problems last year for them. They only shot 28% at Mason Fieldhouse and got pounded. Shot pretty close to their average in Rupp and it was close. They need another 6'6" player like a Colt Barnhill or Leonard Macon on the front-line to complement Ferg and the Twins who are outstanding guards. They start 4 guards and Tim Knipp who really plays more like a small forward at 6'7". But even with no height and a starting line-up of guards they do pretty well being ranked even in the Top 20 in the state.

Depth is also a huge question. Not worried so much about stamina, but foul trouble in a big game would spell doom and despair. There is really no one near the capability of Maynard who would come off the bench and nail some big time threes. Despite the liabilities though to say they are not a Top 10 team is giving them no respect whatsoever. Yes, I could somewhat agree if someone had them as low as #5, #6, or #7 in the state, but not lower than #10. Even if they were ranked #35 I still love watching them play and I had no connection to Elliott County whatsover before the start of last season. I saw them play in the 5/3 and jumped on their bandwagon and now can't seem to get off it. I reside 125 miles from Sandy Hook and will again burn that cheap gas dozens of times to watch them play again this upcoming season. Just feel they are a real HOOSIERS type story and I always like the small schools and the underdog so to speak (although they may have progressed out of the underdog status.) Again, good comments and I respect your analysis which was a good one.

I think pretty much everyone has them as a top 5-10 team. I personally have them at #4 behind SC, Holmes, and GRC.

Like I said in another thread and it has left my mind which one, but Williams and Rogers are just that, football players and really are not impact players on the basketball court. Rogers has some bulk and size but if Zollo enters school at GRC, Rogers will be hard pressed for minutes. Williams is an athlete and outstanding football player, but also not something I am sure GRC will have to wait on to complete a team. Pervis could fit nicely if Zollo comes to GRC, but IMO the other two really won't make a bunch of difference in January.

We strongly disagree on this. It may be because you haven't seen many GRC games and haven't watched these players play enough. Every good team needs a point guard. Every great team needs guys to do the little things and make the hustles plays. That IS Ryan Williams. I guarantee he will be the fastest player on the court 95% of the time. He has awesome handles. I almost would go out on a limb and say he's the BEST pass first point guard in the state. Without him, GRC's offense wouldn't run nearly as good as it does with him.

Rogers last year was a freshman. He played like one as well. He had great flashes and played excellent some games and then some times he didn't. He's showed so far this summer, that he's more aggressive and plays a lot harder. He needs to be a rebound machine this year, and I think he will.

By using your philosphy, the only player I see Mason having this year is Middleton. :thumb:

We strongly disagree on this. It may be because you haven't seen many GRC games and haven't watched these players play enough. Every good team needs a point guard. Every great team needs guys to do the little things and make the hustles plays. That IS Ryan Williams. I guarantee he will be the fastest player on the court 95% of the time. He has awesome handles. I almost would go out on a limb and say he's the BEST pass first point guard in the state. Without him, GRC's offense wouldn't run nearly as good as it does with him.

Rogers last year was a freshman. He played like one as well. He had great flashes and played excellent some games and then some times he didn't. He's showed so far this summer, that he's more aggressive and plays a lot harder. He needs to be a rebound machine this year, and I think he will.

By using your philosphy, the only player I see Mason having this year is Middleton. :thumb:[/QUOTE]

Who is talking about Mason County? It is easy to make the statement without him, the offense wouldn't run as smoothly....sure so answer me who else could there be to run the offense? I am not sure there is anyone else. Look I am not running the kid down as he is an excellent athlete. I have seen those kids play enough, I am just talking about players that really make an impact. Pervis could be a nice fit in the offense, but as you add players, someone has to take the back seat. Who is going to make the biggest impact, ah there is that word again.

Since it was a summer game there were no announcers and they didnt have names on the back of their jerseys.:rolleyes:

Somebody did say they came from Bryan Station. One of them was their best player on the floor besides Sanford(Botkin didn't play).

Well if GRC beat them by 15 without Zollo they defienately aren't a top 10 team for next year, even if Botkin didn't play.

GRC is a top 10 team with Zollo, and a top 20 team without him. I know summer ball is a little different but that game was not close if what people are posting on here is correct.

I think pretty much everyone has them as a top 5-10 team. I personally have them at #4 behind SC, Holmes, and GRC.

I would agree with the above statement that the majority have them somewhere in the Top 10, but of all the teams there they still retain more naysayers or doubters than any other team. I certainly remember all the posts and threads from last season. Maybe not as many will occur next season, but I am still pretty sure they will retain the #1 ranking for doubters by a landslide. Thanks for sharing your insight. I think some of the bigger markets and schools just don't want somebody like a small country rural school in the top teams conversation.

Wow this thread is turning into a lot of my school is better than yours.:scared:

I think that was destined to happen -any time we start a "top teams for next year" thread, we will have a lot of "my dad can beat up your dad-type posts.

I would agree with the above statement that the majority have them somewhere in the Top 10, but of all the teams there they still retain more naysayers or doubters than any other team. I certainly remember all the posts and threads from last season. Maybe not as many will occur next season, but I am still pretty sure they will retain the #1 ranking for doubters by a landslide. Thanks for sharing your insight. I think some of the bigger markets and schools just don't want somebody like a small country rural school in the top teams conversation.

I don't think there are more naysyers or doubters personally. I feel a lot have given them thr respect they have earned and deserve. They should win region and will make it to Rupp and have a nice showing, just won't have enough to knock off some of the other top teams mentioned unless they shoot lights out like they can. It's not a knock on them, but it's reality when one team has 4 6'2 guards and the other has 4 6'5 + kids it's going to be tough to rebound against them especially against a very athletic team like Holmes who also has a lot of length to go with their size.

Did Shelby County graduate a lot? They played Mason COunty as tough as anyone during the Sweet 16.

Shelby played 8 guys last year: 4 seniors and 4 sophomores. They should be pretty good this year but they must replace their best player Minnis, who was a beast on the inside. I think their other big guy, Beach, is back and they also return one their two pg's. I know they lost Matthews who was one of the top QB's in the state last year. It should be a battle between Shelby, Anderson Co. (C.J. Penny) and possibly others to get out of the 8th.