Saving pitching for the next game

Worked out well for Danville, but they were playing Wayne County...a game they should win with #1 or #2, and probably #3 on the hill. Rain and graduation helped get everyone rest. Perhaps it wasn't great planning for the Ads, but rather good fortune.

Key word is "SHOULD". Its hard to plan for a game you aren't playing in yet. And yeah, rain and graduation didn't hurt.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You go to the regional tournament to win the tournament, not one game. Who has the most 9th region championships? Krumps, then Myerhoff? Two guys that regularly start the tourney with their 2 or 3.

During typical years, these two can get away with throwing their 2 or 3 starter. The reason they can do this is a) their 2, and sometimes 3, are just as good if not better than other's 1 or b) they have a far superior team. This year, this wasn't the case for Myerhoff and Beechwood. They had a somewhat 'off' year by their standards, and they didn't have a stable of pitchers. When facing the hottest hitting team in the region, IMO, you have to go with your ace. As for CCH this year, they have 2 or 3 pitchers that can be 1's on most teams in the 9th. They were able to throw their 3 against a district runner-up in the 1st round and be comfortable with it. As for Dixie, I think Max made the right move throwing Nichols against Highlands. They were 1-2 against them this year. He had to worry about Highlands before worrying about his 2nd round game.

If you save #1 and start #2, plus win....you're a genius. If you lose, take the blame. My thought process, has always been to never under estimate an opponent. Some teams are better FB hitters and others, may be contact guys. If you have 2 quality pitchers, you can make an educated determination.

Scout the teams you play, make a decision off the best available match-up and proceed. I've seen the positive and negative side of this question.

I understand others logic but I'm with Sticky in this one. At some point you HAVE to be able to win a game with your #2 if not eve your #3. If I'm playing a team I should beat pretty easy in the 1st round but play one of the best teams in the state the 2nd round then I have 2 options:

1. Start my best vs the bad team and hope my #2 beats the great team

or

2. Start my #2 against a team he should beat and throw my ace for the great team.

It depends on the competition you are playing IMO. This scenerio I'm saving my ace for game 2!

That makes sense, but that was most definitely not the situation in which BHS found themselves in the first round. Boone was not a team they should/would/could "easily beat." And that's where I found the strategy in this particular situation somewhat curious.

Tricky business saving a pitcher for a game that you may never get to play.....:thumb:

Rack...

I think T did the right thing, no way they (IMHO) beat X with a 'finesse' pitcher and even with Littrell it would have been a real challenge. Littrell is a very promising talent, but he is young. T put out a good pitcher last night in Hohmann and I think I would have done the same.

Rack...

I think T did the right thing, no way they (IMHO) beat X with a 'finesse' pitcher and even with Littrell it would have been a real challenge. Littrell is a very promising talent, but he is young. T put out a good pitcher last night in Hohmann and I think I would have done the same.

I don't question trying to save your best for X...ie Littrell, but I'm not sure Hohmann's style was the best fit to beat CAL. He threw soft enough that CAL could bunt it wherever they wanted and their power hitters could hit gappers and hard shots against him. The only second guessing is whether Rueff, Roney or Deeds could have overpowered CAL and not allowed the big inning that CAL got off Hohmann.

I don't question trying to save your best for X...ie Littrell, but I'm not sure Hohmann's style was the best fit to beat CAL. He threw soft enough that CAL could bunt it wherever they wanted and their power hitters could hit gappers and hard shots against him. The only second guessing is whether Rueff, Roney or Deeds could have overpowered CAL and not allowed the big inning that CAL got off Hohmann.

I think that you have a senior pitcher, you give him the ball and he goes and beats the team in front of him. I don't agree with the overpowering- I agree with better fielding pitcher might of helped but frankly CAL's freshmen matched the senior pitcher after 3 innings. Now maybe Roney or Deeds are better fielders than a fall off to the left southpaw and most every bunt down down the other side. What was Hohman's record-7-1? Here- take ball - win it and put T in the final. It didn't happen.

You go to the regional tournament to win the tournament, not one game. Who has the most 9th region championships? Krumps, then Myerhoff? Two guys that regularly start the tourney with their 2 or 3. If their 2 or 3 can't get you past a district loser, they're not going to get you past a district winner later in the tournament.

Myerhoff absolutely made the right decision not to start Elliott. If you're #2 isn't good enough to beat Boone in the first round, he's not going to be good enough to beat NC in the second and your #3 isn't going to be good enough to beat CCH in the finals. Or vice-versa

Maxwell threw his best in the first game two years in a row and went 1-1. If he takes a chance with his #2 versus HHS and has Nichols for CCH, he's in the finals tomorrow.

I'm a firm believer in saving your best for the best, because that gives you the best chance to win the tournament.

Myerhoff starting his #4 pitcher against a district winner and the hottest hitting team in NKY was a bit of a blunder I think. Throw the 2 or 3 out there, not the 4.

Edited by Ram
Rule 13

During typical years, these two can get away with throwing their 2 or 3 starter. The reason they can do this is a) their 2, and sometimes 3, are just as good if not better than other's 1 or b) they have a far superior team. This year, this wasn't the case for Myerhoff and Beechwood. They had a somewhat 'off' year by their standards, and they didn't have a stable of pitchers. When facing the hottest hitting team in the region, IMO, you have to go with your ace. As for CCH this year, they have 2 or 3 pitchers that can be 1's on most teams in the 9th. They were able to throw their 3 against a district runner-up in the 1st round and be comfortable with it. As for Dixie, I think Max made the right move throwing Nichols against Highlands. They were 1-2 against them this year. He had to worry about Highlands before worrying about his 2nd round game.

Bingo. If Elliott pitches against Boone, BW may be playing on friday, but IMHO would of played NCC for sure.

Edited by Baseballguy

You think Snider was the 4?

What do you think he was? (I really don't know). I would assume Elliott was #1. I hadn't previously seen Hadden, but was very impressed with him for the one inning I saw. I see Snyder and Smith as fairly equal; maybe slight edge to Smith.

What do you think he was? (I really don't know). I would assume Elliott was #1. I hadn't previously seen Hadden, but was very impressed with him for the one inning I saw. I see Snyder and Smith as fairly equal; maybe slight edge to Smith.

He was there 2.

If you save #1 and start #2, plus win....you're a genius. If you lose, take the blame. My thought process, has always been to never under estimate an opponent. Some teams are better FB hitters and others, may be contact guys. If you have 2 quality pitchers, you can make an educated determination.

Scout the teams you play, make a decision off the best available match-up and proceed. I've seen the positive and negative side of this question.

I agree. I think it depends on the situation. You REALLY look like a goat if you lose but like you say you are a genius if you win. That's usually how it works in coaching. I'm with you, scout.... make the best determination on what you feel like will help your team reach their goals, then live with it.