Everything posted by Lefty6
-
Danville 7 Somerset 2
Admirals had a couple of other opportunities late in the game to plate a couple more runs, but it proved enough. Sparrow pitched great, and Elmore came in to close it out in the 7th. Somerset has a nice team, congrats on a great season.
-
So, Boyle County...
LOL... Fireworks were going off all night in DANVILLE. Being as how BC resides inside the city limits, right?
-
West Jessamine 11 Danville 10
This game was neck and neck through 5. About half of the runs were scored in the last two innings. Ads fought hard and West Jessamine played well. Definitely a good game to watch. Congrats to the Ads on a great season & best of luck the West Jess in the finals.
-
Saving pitching for the next game
Key word is "SHOULD". Its hard to plan for a game you aren't playing in yet. And yeah, rain and graduation didn't hurt.
-
Saving pitching for the next game
Danville pitched 3 of their pitchers (including their #1) in the opening game of the 12th. They played game 1 on Monday and the remainder of the games on Monday were rained out and pushed to Tuesday. No games Wednesday due to Danville graduation. So the Semi's are now today (Thursday) and I think Danville has all pitchers available based on the amount of rest required.
-
West Jessamine/Danville Predictions
Did West Jessamine pitch their #1 in the first round?
-
12th Region Semi-Finals
I will mostly likely be at the games tonight. I'll post scores when I get home if no one else has already beat me to it.
-
Somerset vs Mercer?
From where i sat there were some questionable calls in the Danville/Wayne Co. game as well.
-
Danville 7 Boyle Co. 6
He was ruled eligible by the KHSAA last week.
-
JV games & Umpires
So 5 innings is a standard for JV games? Set by who?
-
JV games & Umpires
Would in be correct to say that your statement also implies that if a varsity game goes more than 7 innings the umpires could get sued if someone gets hurt in extra innings?
-
JV games & Umpires
Are you saying that if a team shouldn't have the same players on both varsity and jv teams? Or if a team doesn't have enough players to have a completely separate varsity and jv team are you saying that they shouldn't have a jv team?
-
JV games & Umpires
I am not a mom or dad of a kid who plays varisty or jv. So much for that theory...
-
JV games & Umpires
I'll have to agree with something that Cooperstown posted earlier in the thread. That this view of the fact that it was "only a JV game" is very short-sighted. But its your opinion nonetheless. I guess that's why situations arise as they did during this game. Maybe your family would enjoy the evening at home. My family enjoys being at the ballpark.
-
JV games & Umpires
Yes it would have been, what a wonderful idea. However, I was already at in a volunteer capacity at the game. You see, I do serve the community as a volunteer. And due to those volunteer duties, I would be unable to officiate the game. Thanks for the insight.
-
JV games & Umpires
Travel costs to the field and back home is the same regardless of how many innings are played, as is the cost of uniform and equipment. I've been in the other shoes. Both an umpire and coach. Passing the hat brings up a good point. Would umpires think of giving back some of the pay if the game only goes 5 or 6 innings instead of 7? No. And I wouldn't if I was an umpire either. Brings me to my point... should there be a base rate for 5 innings, since all games must go 4 1/2-5 innings. And addition pay for each inning afterwards?
-
JV games & Umpires
Before I state with 100% confidence what they were paid and how many innings they agreed to I will find out. But I will find out and be back with the answer. As for it being scheduled... it was scheduled and scheduled as JV / V doubleheader. I know umpires & coaches, and I will continue to respect the time that both umpires and coaches put in. As I have done both as well. However, from the information I have, I have every reason to believe IMHO that it was unprofessional the way it all went down. PS... No and No.
- JV games & Umpires
-
JV games & Umpires
Varsity game started at 5:30. Not sure exactly what time it ended, but it was a 5 inning game. I left the field at 9:30 and that was after I stayed after the game to socialize for a bit and get the rundown on what happened. I was probably one of the last 3 or 4 people to leave so I'm guessing the JV ended around 9, but can't be positive.
-
JV games & Umpires
I have it on good account that this wasn't the case. Yeah I'm a little sore about it. Both from a supporter and spectator standpoint. It was a great game that was going and the kids deserve better.
-
JV games & Umpires
Would a JV basketball game be stopped at the end of the 3rd quarter? A football game?
-
JV games & Umpires
A varisty game is agreed to be 7 innings, however, I don't think they would walk off the field at the end of 7 innings in the same situation in a varsity game.
-
JV games & Umpires
It may be "thankless" as you put it, but they get paid, and and not too bad for a couple of hours of work. Not to mention they have the ability to decide whether or not they choose to umpire. I still think it was a classless move.
-
JV games & Umpires
My point is that JV teams deserve to play just as much as varsity. Yeah sometimes the quality of the team isn't as good as the varsity, but kids need to learn and get experience one way or another. All year I have witnessed terrible calls on plays that are beyond "bang-bag" where the runners are safe, but called out to move the game along, as well as an expanded strikezone from chin to shin. But in a game that is moving along at a good pace, and a tight game, why is this kind of attitude on the part of umpires accepted?
-
JV games & Umpires
I witnessed one of the most pathetic displays of professionalism on the part of officials at a baseball game. The game was at Danville. Danville had scheduled Bardstown to a JV/V doubleheader. But Bardstown is not playing a JV schedule from what I understand and Danville put in a call to Mercer Co. to see if they would be interested in playing a JV game after the varsity game against Bardstown. Varsity game went 5 innings fairly quick moving game. Mercer had shown up and both JV teams were ready to play. Pretty tight game after 5 innings the score was tied 0-0 and only 5 hits between the two teams. This is where things went bad. The umpires start to walk off the field as Danville takes the field in the top of the 6th. After a brief discussion, one of the umpires walks away from the field towards his vehicle the other walks back towards home plate to talk to the coaches. I'm not sure of the exact words that were exchanged except I was told later that the umpire said they only get paid for a 5 inning JV game. Last time I checked, pay was for a game, not by the inning. Very poor display of professionalism on the part of the umpires. I just wanted to pass this story on.