JV games & Umpires

I witnessed one of the most pathetic displays of professionalism on the part of officials at a baseball game. The game was at Danville. Danville had scheduled Bardstown to a JV/V doubleheader. But Bardstown is not playing a JV schedule from what I understand and Danville put in a call to Mercer Co. to see if they would be interested in playing a JV game after the varsity game against Bardstown.

Varsity game went 5 innings fairly quick moving game. Mercer had shown up and both JV teams were ready to play. Pretty tight game after 5 innings the score was tied 0-0 and only 5 hits between the two teams. This is where things went bad. The umpires start to walk off the field as Danville takes the field in the top of the 6th. After a brief discussion, one of the umpires walks away from the field towards his vehicle the other walks back towards home plate to talk to the coaches. I'm not sure of the exact words that were exchanged except I was told later that the umpire said they only get paid for a 5 inning JV game. Last time I checked, pay was for a game, not by the inning.

Very poor display of professionalism on the part of the umpires. I just wanted to pass this story on.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My point is that JV teams deserve to play just as much as varsity. Yeah sometimes the quality of the team isn't as good as the varsity, but kids need to learn and get experience one way or another. All year I have witnessed terrible calls on plays that are beyond "bang-bag" where the runners are safe, but called out to move the game along, as well as an expanded strikezone from chin to shin. But in a game that is moving along at a good pace, and a tight game, why is this kind of attitude on the part of umpires accepted?

This may possibly be, the situation. In 5 inning games, the pay is less than a regular 7 inning game. Perhaps it was agreed, the game would be 5 innings.

Another commitment, could also be the reason. Umpiring is a thankless task and not many of us, would take on this role.

This may possibly be, the situation. In 5 inning games, the pay is less than a regular 7 inning game. Perhaps it was agreed, the game would be 5 innings.

QUOTE]

But I have never seen an umpire complain or refund money when the scheduled 7 inning game goes only 4 1/2 - 5 innings.

Another commitment, could also be the reason. Umpiring is a thankless task and not many of us, would take on this role.

It may be "thankless" as you put it, but they get paid, and and not too bad for a couple of hours of work. Not to mention they have the ability to decide whether or not they choose to umpire.

I still think it was a classless move.

A varisty game is agreed to be 7 innings, however, I don't think they would walk off the field at the end of 7 innings in the same situation in a varsity game.

This is really upsetting you isn't it. I see your point and everything, but maybe the coaches agreed on 5.

I have it on good account that this wasn't the case.

Yeah I'm a little sore about it. Both from a supporter and spectator standpoint. It was a great game that was going and the kids deserve better.

It may be "thankless" as you put it, but they get paid, and and not too bad for a couple of hours of work. Not to mention they have the ability to decide whether or not they choose to umpire.

I still think it was a classless move.

What time did the Varsity game start and end? What time was it, when the Umpire left the field?

What time did the Varsity game start and end? What time was it, when the Umpire left the field?

Varsity game started at 5:30. Not sure exactly what time it ended, but it was a 5 inning game.

I left the field at 9:30 and that was after I stayed after the game to socialize for a bit and get the rundown on what happened. I was probably one of the last 3 or 4 people to leave so I'm guessing the JV ended around 9, but can't be positive.

Just wondering if anyone passes the hat to pay the umpires more for extra innings? Umbrella in the pouring rain? Gas money for travel to the field and back home? Uniform and equipment allowance? We all want to see kids get in a full game, but remember to put yourself in the other person's shoes every once in a while.

I witnessed one of the most pathetic displays of professionalism on the part of officials at a baseball game. The game was at Danville. Danville had scheduled Bardstown to a JV/V doubleheader. But Bardstown is not playing a JV schedule from what I understand and Danville put in a call to Mercer Co. to see if they would be interested in playing a JV game after the varsity game against Bardstown.

Varsity game went 5 innings fairly quick moving game. Mercer had shown up and both JV teams were ready to play. Pretty tight game after 5 innings the score was tied 0-0 and only 5 hits between the two teams. This is where things went bad. The umpires start to walk off the field as Danville takes the field in the top of the 6th. After a brief discussion, one of the umpires walks away from the field towards his vehicle the other walks back towards home plate to talk to the coaches. I'm not sure of the exact words that were exchanged except I was told later that the umpire said they only get paid for a 5 inning JV game. Last time I checked, pay was for a game, not by the inning.

Very poor display of professionalism on the part of the umpires. I just wanted to pass this story on.

L6,

Typically a JV game is for a finite number of innings determined before the game begins. It does not matter if the score is tied, at the end of X innings, the game is over. Just because both coaches and teams wanted to continue to play because the score is tied does not really enter into the equation. And, since the pay was referenced as their reason for leaving, JV in our region only pays $25 per game, regardless of the number of innings. Since varsity is $55 for two more innings, the math does not add up. (With gas at $3.60 a gallon, we're not making much after expenses anyway.) If you want to get umpires to stay, pay them more money. The innings in a JV game typically take longer than a varsity game, so the school gets more time for the buck. JV games in our region are more like controlled scrimmages and they usually go three to four innings (to a maximum of 5). Our JV games after a varsity game are not hard scheduled or assigned, typically we don't know if the schools plan on playing JV until we arrive at the site. If they do, we stay another hour and a half for another $25 bucks. When schools start trying to take advantage of the cut rate and playing more innings, we would do what the two umpires mentioned did, we would say game over. If schools wanted to pay for the longer games at a higher rate, it would be no problem. With the pay differential the way that it is, you're fortunate to get umpires period. Their professionalism is not in question, only your judgement of their professionalism.

PS...I'll bet that you had a son or relative playing and they had a good game going. :irked:

L6,

Typically a JV game is for a finite number of innings determined before the game begins. It does not matter if the score is tied, at the end of X innings, the game is over. Just because both coaches and teams wanted to continue to play because the score is tied does not really enter into the equation. And, since the pay was referenced as their reason for leaving, JV in our region only pays $25 per game, regardless of the number of innings. Since varsity is $55 for two more innings, the math does not add up. (With gas at $3.60 a gallon, we're not making much after expenses anyway.) If you want to get umpires to stay, pay them more money. The innings in a JV game typically take longer than a varsity game, so the school gets more time for the buck. JV games in our region are more like controlled scrimmages and they usually go three to four innings (to a maximum of 5). Our JV games after a varsity game are not hard scheduled or assigned, typically we don't know if the schools plan on playing JV until we arrive at the site. If they do, we stay another hour and a half for another $25 bucks. When schools start trying to take advantage of the cut rate and playing more innings, we would do what the two umpires mentioned did, we would say game over. If schools wanted to pay for the longer games at a higher rate, it would be no problem. With the pay differential the way that it is, you're fortunate to get umpires period. Their professionalism is not in question, only your judgement of their professionalism.

PS...I'll bet that you had a son or relative playing and they had a good game going. :irked:

Nicely written and extremely informative :thumb:. (though you probably could've left out the "P.S" part ;))