JV games & Umpires

Here's another idea. (and I've seen this happen on numerous occasions) If the umpires don't stay for the JV game, or leave early, ask for a couple of volunteers out of the stands to call the game. That way, the kids get to play, and a few people can see what a "fun" job umpiring really is.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Being a football official and former 8 yr baseball umpire I always tried to go the extra mile to help the kids. I have done extra innings many times for nothing. People always try to take advantage of the situation. These guys do get paid but its nothing special. By the time you put in all extra training and time it ends up being a $10 an hour gig. Thats why I don't call baseball anymore.

You also have to consider liability issues. If that game was scheduled for 5 and you played longer that could come back on you if someone gets hurt. Mom says that game was only supposed to be 5 innings my boy wouldn't have got hurt if they stopped the game when they were supposed to.

Here is another thought on this topic. Varsity games are 7 innings or 10 run rule after 5. JV games are 5 innings or 1 and 1/2 hour time limit, according to KHSAA, and it doesn't say you can play extras if it's tied. Not like it's the world series, it's jv, call it a tie and go home!

I've always found that "it's only JV" line to be rather short-sighted and rude. No, it's not "pro" varsity baseball, but it's nonetheless still very important to the coaches, players, families, and fans of JV teams. These boys all work hard and take the game seriously, as they are all striving to reach their school's varsity team. I'm not at all disagreeing with the umpire's decision to leave the game after five innings if that was what was agreed to and for which he was paid, but to essentially say, "Let's not worry about this issue because it's a lowly JV game" is not right, either.

L6,

Typically a JV game is for a finite number of innings determined before the game begins. It does not matter if the score is tied, at the end of X innings, the game is over. Just because both coaches and teams wanted to continue to play because the score is tied does not really enter into the equation. And, since the pay was referenced as their reason for leaving, JV in our region only pays $25 per game, regardless of the number of innings. Since varsity is $55 for two more innings, the math does not add up. (With gas at $3.60 a gallon, we're not making much after expenses anyway.) If you want to get umpires to stay, pay them more money. The innings in a JV game typically take longer than a varsity game, so the school gets more time for the buck. JV games in our region are more like controlled scrimmages and they usually go three to four innings (to a maximum of 5). Our JV games after a varsity game are not hard scheduled or assigned, typically we don't know if the schools plan on playing JV until we arrive at the site. If they do, we stay another hour and a half for another $25 bucks. When schools start trying to take advantage of the cut rate and playing more innings, we would do what the two umpires mentioned did, we would say game over. If schools wanted to pay for the longer games at a higher rate, it would be no problem. With the pay differential the way that it is, you're fortunate to get umpires period. Their professionalism is not in question, only your judgement of their professionalism.

PS...I'll bet that you had a son or relative playing and they had a good game going. :irked:

Before I state with 100% confidence what they were paid and how many innings they agreed to I will find out. But I will find out and be back with the answer.

As for it being scheduled... it was scheduled and scheduled as JV / V doubleheader.

I know umpires & coaches, and I will continue to respect the time that both umpires and coaches put in. As I have done both as well. However, from the information I have, I have every reason to believe IMHO that it was unprofessional the way it all went down.

PS... No and No.

Just wondering if anyone passes the hat to pay the umpires more for extra innings? Umbrella in the pouring rain? Gas money for travel to the field and back home? Uniform and equipment allowance? We all want to see kids get in a full game, but remember to put yourself in the other person's shoes every once in a while.

Travel costs to the field and back home is the same regardless of how many innings are played, as is the cost of uniform and equipment. I've been in the other shoes. Both an umpire and coach.

Passing the hat brings up a good point. Would umpires think of giving back some of the pay if the game only goes 5 or 6 innings instead of 7? No. And I wouldn't if I was an umpire either. Brings me to my point... should there be a base rate for 5 innings, since all games must go 4 1/2-5 innings. And addition pay for each inning afterwards?

Since you have umpired before, wouldn't that have been a wonderful opportunity to serve the community as a volunteer?

Yes it would have been, what a wonderful idea. However, I was already at in a volunteer capacity at the game. You see, I do serve the community as a volunteer. And due to those volunteer duties, I would be unable to officiate the game.

Thanks for the insight.

Since you have umpired before, wouldn't that have been a wonderful opportunity to serve the community as a volunteer?

You have to have at least one certified KHSAA umpire to play or continue a V or JV game. Can't be a volunteer.

L6,

Typically a JV game is for a finite number of innings determined before the game begins. It does not matter if the score is tied, at the end of X innings, the game is over. Just because both coaches and teams wanted to continue to play because the score is tied does not really enter into the equation. And, since the pay was referenced as their reason for leaving, JV in our region only pays $25 per game, regardless of the number of innings. Since varsity is $55 for two more innings, the math does not add up. (With gas at $3.60 a gallon, we're not making much after expenses anyway.) If you want to get umpires to stay, pay them more money. The innings in a JV game typically take longer than a varsity game, so the school gets more time for the buck. JV games in our region are more like controlled scrimmages and they usually go three to four innings (to a maximum of 5). Our JV games after a varsity game are not hard scheduled or assigned, typically we don't know if the schools plan on playing JV until we arrive at the site. If they do, we stay another hour and a half for another $25 bucks. When schools start trying to take advantage of the cut rate and playing more innings, we would do what the two umpires mentioned did, we would say game over. If schools wanted to pay for the longer games at a higher rate, it would be no problem. With the pay differential the way that it is, you're fortunate to get umpires period. Their professionalism is not in question, only your judgement of their professionalism.

PS...I'll bet that you had a son or relative playing and they had a good game going. :irked:

The umpires in the 12th region get alot more than $25 for a JV game. Plus they get gas money if they come from out of town.

L6,

I have never heard of a baseball game being scheduled for a finite number of innings. All games at all levels are scheduled for a set number of innings but everyone knows there is a chance of extra innings. Thats baseball. Varsity games are scheduled for seven innings but your not going to call the game with it tied after seven. Why should it be any different for those kids playing JV. They play and practice just as hard as the Varsity players. Those JV games are the only way to develop those young players.

Here is another thought on this topic. Varsity games are 7 innings or 10 run rule after 5. JV games are 5 innings or 1 and 1/2 hour time limit, according to KHSAA, and it doesn't say you can play extras if it's tied. Not like it's the world series, it's jv, call it a tie and go home!

I would like to see that 5 innings or 1 and 1/2 hour time limit in the KHSAA Bylaws. If you have it please list the Bylaw. If thats a rule it would be the first I have heard of it. If it is it would end this topic because 5 innins was played, in about 1 hour and twenty minutes.

Agree! Go home and enjoy the evening with the family.

Agree! Go home and enjoy the evening with the family.

I'll have to agree with something that Cooperstown posted earlier in the thread. That this view of the fact that it was "only a JV game" is very short-sighted. But its your opinion nonetheless. I guess that's why situations arise as they did during this game.

Maybe your family would enjoy the evening at home. My family enjoys being at the ballpark.