Jay Bruce Debut

Congrats on a great debut Jay. Let's not appoint him the hero yet though.

:thumb:I agree, let him play and do not put the "saviour" label on him.

He is going to have bad games, that is a given and everyone does but this kid is for real.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I mistakenly posted this in the Dunn/Bruce thread, I meant to put it in this one:

As impressive as Bruce was swinging the bat I was more impressed with his 2 walks. Plate discipline has not been his strong suit in the minors with only 12 walks in around 200 plate appearances. If he continues to make the opposing pitcher throw him strikes he'll be awfully tough. I think it was a great move to put him in the 2 hole instead of in the 7 spot. With Griffey, Phillips and Dunn hitting behind him pitchers are forced to challenge him more rather than staying off the plate and trying to get him to chase. Very nice debut and good comeback by the Reds.

I mistakenly posted this in the Dunn/Bruce thread, I meant to put it in this one:

As impressive as Bruce was swinging the bat I was more impressed with his 2 walks. Plate discipline has not been his strong suit in the minors with only 12 walks in around 200 plate appearances. If he continues to make the opposing pitcher throw him strikes he'll be awfully tough. I think it was a great move to put him in the 2 hole instead of in the 7 spot. With Griffey, Phillips and Dunn hitting behind him pitchers are forced to challenge him more rather than staying off the plate and trying to get him to chase. Very nice debut and good comeback by the Reds.

I absolutely and 100% agree with the dicipline Bruce showed at the plate. I am sure and especially on his first ab that the pitcher was thinking that he would be "anxious" and chase balls out of the strike zone. Bruce didn't do that.

Let's see, 3for3 with 2bb's 2rbi's and a stolen base. Bruce is as of today batting .1000, his OBP is .1000 , not bad. ;)