Harang and Volquez ... is one game worth this?

Aaron Harang worked four innings on two days' rest in the 18-inning debacle at San Diego. Even worse, Edinson Volquez was brought on to pitch on one day of rest after throwing 92 pitches in a stellar outing on Friday night.

During all of this, Johnny Cueto was available on three days' rest after his latest outing.

It's bad enough that you would have to use any of those guys in that situation, but why in the world would Dusty Baker opt to use Harang and Volquez — the Reds' two best pitchers — in such cavalier fashion?

Is winning that one game worth jeopardizing the long-term health of your two best starting pitchers, one of which is your undisputed ace and the other that is as young and talented as Volquez?

Dusty ought to be called on the carpet for this one.

Edited by westsider

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally thought that it was the absolute bonehead move of the year :mad:. Harrang imo should have only thrown 1 or 2 innings at the most. Volquez shouldn't have been in at all.

Baker has a great rep for handling pitchers or should I say ruining arms .....(does Woods & Prior ring a bell with anyone?) Of course, this makes him a perfect fit for the Reds, we kind of have history of worn out/ruined arms so why not this season as well. We finally get a couple of strong arms in the rotation this year so we need to get those hurting, don't you think? :rolleyes:

I thought Baker really stunk in this one. We continue to use Weathers and his 85 mph fastball in the 8th Inning. Burton, a live arm would be much better. He has given up game tying HR in two or three last games. The Cordero throws up a raonbow instead of going with his best stuff. After we scored two in the 11th and we only had Fogg and Bray left, why did we go with Fogg who had not pitched in a week or longer. Bray was a normal reliever and has probably closed before. Then he takes Fogg out and uses Bray anyway and he lost his long man. After losing this lead everyone knew that he Reds were done and would not score anymore. They had that game won three times. One of the worst loses that I have witnessed over the past several years.:madman::madman::madman:

Ding Ding we have a winner! :jump:

Harang would have thrown 60 in the pen anyway.

They said that Harrang had his bullpen work in on Saturday (just the day before). So, I don't know how much and at what times they throw but just one day after a bullpen workout on his schedule after a start just a few days ago imo may just shoot your "ding ding" theory down, I don't know.

The bonehead move in my opinion is having Jay Bruce in Louisville and Patterson going 0'fer. He came up with runners in scoring potential several times. I sure wish that had been Bruce instead Patterson. :mad:

Guys, these are major league pitchers. They pitch on a daily basis and do bullpen work every day other than the day following their start.

Although 4 innings is a lot for Harang, he threw just over 60 pitches. Not a big deal, although the intensity level of those 60 pitches was obviously higher than what they would have been during a bullpen session.

Regarding Volquez: Once again, not a problem. Sure, it's not an ideal situation, but Volquez's arm looked good (he was hitting 96 regularly) and still did not throw too many pitches.