Harang and Volquez ... is one game worth this?

He threw 60 on Saturday...

Oops... Well thats not good then.

I still wouldn't have thrown out your young guy. I don't think the way Dusty handled the starters was wrong, I think they way he handled the relievers was wrong...

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tonight shows why that was a bad idea. Harang had nothing and the bullpen had to throw 83 pitches tonight. Harang may be a workhorse but when you overwork a horse what usually happens? They break down. Hopefully that won't be the case but he wouldn't be the first pitcher to develop a dead arm for awhile from overuse. Sunday could end up messing up the pitching for a couple of weeks.

Tonight shows why that was a bad idea. Harang had nothing and the bullpen had to throw 83 pitches tonight. Harang may be a workhorse but when you overwork a horse what usually happens? They break down. Hopefully that won't be the case but he wouldn't be the first pitcher to develop a dead arm for awhile from overuse. Sunday could end up messing up the pitching for a couple of weeks.

I know I saw this stance from someone on Sunday... ;)

I know I saw this stance from someone on Sunday... ;)

Yep, I just wanted to make sure everyone else remembered it. :thumb: It was just criminal that Fogg, a former starter pitching out of the pen only threw 8 pitches and Harang and Volquez had to be used like they were. Everyone is quick to say that "it's a long season" when their team or favorite player doesn't start well and that's true. It is also true in regard to handling a pitching staff, you don't treat a game in May like it is an elimination game in the playoffs in regard to your pitching staff.

Yep, I just wanted to make sure everyone else remembered it. :thumb: It was just criminal that Fogg, a former starter pitching out of the pen only threw 8 pitches and Harang and Volquez had to be used like they were. Everyone is quick to say that "it's a long season" when their team or favorite player doesn't start well and that's true. It is also true in regard to handling a pitching staff, you don't treat a game in May like it is an elimination game in the playoffs in regard to your pitching staff.

The thought ran through my mind that they should have held Harang back a day and pitched Fogg today, Harang tomorrow, Volquez Saturday, Belisle Sunday, Arroyo again Monday, and then take Fogg back out of the rotation...

The thought ran through my mind that they should have held Harang back a day and pitched Fogg today, Harang tomorrow, Volquez Saturday, Belisle Sunday, Arroyo again Monday, and then take Fogg back out of the rotation...

If they'd just left Fogg in they couldn't have had any worse result than what they got on Sunday anyway and they wouldn't have had to juggle their rotation to begin with.

If they'd just left Fogg in they couldn't have had any worse result than what they got on Sunday anyway and they wouldn't have had to juggle their rotation to begin with.

Bray should have started the 11th. Like I said when it happened, Dusty went all in on Fogg closing it out, and that's like going all in on a 5,K off suit. He took a huge risk, and it put his only true ace on the line. I hope it has minimal damage going forward...

They should have given the ball to Bray to start the inning when they were up 9-7 and kept Fogg out in the pen in case Bray didn't nail it down...

:thumb: Congrats to Dusty, he had Harrang in on Sunday to hold a team down and he did...... that still ended in a loss. Last night Harrang had nothing.

Baker/Reds lose both games and more important lets hope that Harrang is not lost (as in the beginning of arm trouble).

JMO and I realize that others have theirs.

Harang threw 63 pitches 4 days before his start. Shouldn't have had anything to do with last nights preformance. He was just off. When he is bad, which he is every few starts, he is really off. This is the reason some do not consider him a true ace.

Harang threw 63 pitches 4 days before his start. Shouldn't have had anything to do with last nights preformance. He was just off. When he is bad, which he is every few starts, he is really off. This is the reason some do not consider him a true ace.

He threw 63 pitches after throwing over 100 just two days before, and it was three days, not four. It was obvious that he was gassed last night.

It was only 3 days rest and he had also did his heavy bullpen session the day before his relief stint so he threw Thursday, Saturday and Sunday. If you don't think that had anything to do with his performance you are fooling yourself.