Should parents be fined and or jailed for kids not being at school?

ladiesbballcoach

Which would be fitting?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Which would be fitting?

• Jail and fines
    • Jail
    • Fines
    • This is ridiculous and jail nor fines are appropriate

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely should be fined. And, if their child commits a crime during a time when they should be in school, I say the parents should be jailed as well.

Parents have a duty and responsibility to have their children in school. If your kid isn't in school 20 times you are neglecting your parental duties.

:thumb:

So what does a single Mom do if the Dad is not a part of their lives? How do you get a boy over 200lbs out of bed?

But our society tells us that a single mom can do it without the help of a Dad? Are you saying that single parenthood is not as equal as a family with two parents working together?

I am embarrassed by the lack of responsibility of my generations males.

Sneak up on him...He's got to sleep sometime.

There's a fine line between fear and respect. Preferably, a parent should obtain respect first. When that fails, let wrath bring fear.

"Spare the rod, spoil the child" - Proverbs 13-24

Paraphrased - Raise your children with discipline and teach them right from wrong or have kids that have no respect or regards for others.

Discipline should be gained by any means necessary.

Actually spare the rod, spoil the child is a Ben Franklin quote.

Proverbs 13:24 (New International Version)

New International Version (NIV)

Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 by International Bible Society

24 He who spares the rod hates his son,

but he who loves him is careful to discipline him.

The true proverb is even more strict.

Discipline means "to teach" not punish. When you discipline, you are teaching the right and wrong behavior.

Sneak up on him...He's got to sleep sometime.

There's a fine line between fear and respect. Preferably, a parent should obtain respect first. When that fails, let wrath bring fear.

"Spare the rod, spoil the child" - Proverbs 13-24

Paraphrased - Raise your children with discipline and teach them right from wrong or have kids that have no respect or regards for others.

Discipline should be gained by any means necessary.

Actually, it's "spare the rod, HATE the child."

Some type of manditory work release community service program would get my vote. Parents and children cleaning up roadside litter and cigarette butts. If they refuse to do the work, expultion is an option I feel is much underused.

Some type of manditory work release community service program would get my vote. Parents and children cleaning up roadside litter and cigarette butts. If they refuse to do the work, expultion is an option I feel is much underused.

It is underused because basically, it is illegal for the district.

If a student shows they are a danger to the everyone else, they can be expelled but then the district is financially responsible for educating that child in a 1 on 1 setting, a virtual HS or some other choice, unless the parent chooses to withdraw the kid and homeschool them before expulsion occurs.

It is underused because basically, it is illegal for the district.

If a student shows they are a danger to the everyone else, they can be expelled but then the district is financially responsible for educating that child in a 1 on 1 setting, a virtual HS or some other choice, unless the parent chooses to withdraw the kid and homeschool them before expulsion occurs.

Yes, and I think that the law should be changed. Let some of the lawmakers come sit in an alternative school room or a SAFE room for a week or two. They might have a different opinion on the "right to an education".

I thought this was standard procedure. Frankfort has a program called E-tap where the judge comes to school twice a month; I think; maybe just once. Anyway the parent and child go before the judge the first step is fines and it goes from there.

Speaking for Fayette County......

A parent can now be fined for their child being habitually truant. However, this is only enforced for children 16 years of age and younger. It is not advertised for obvious reasons, but in the state of Kentucky, once a student (regardless of grade) reaches 17 years of age, there is no truancy laws.

Any child 17 and over who does not want to go to school does not have to and their parents suffer no recourse for not having them in school. With rules like this, it is no wonder Kentucky is in the bottom five nationally in education.

We almost went through this with one of our kids. Kentucky law says that 3 unexcused tardies equal an unexcused absence. My son was frequently showing up 5-10 minutes late (couldn't get his butt out of bed). We got a letter that if it happened again, they'd haul our butt to court.

We almost went through this with one of our kids. Kentucky law says that 3 unexcused tardies equal an unexcused absence. My son was frequently showing up 5-10 minutes late (couldn't get his butt out of bed). We got a letter that if it happened again, they'd haul our butt to court.

Did that make the difference in your ability to "get his butt out of bed"?