Which would be better for this country?

Which would do more to advance the culture of this country?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Which would do more to advance the culture of this country?

• Electing an African American as President
    • Electing a female as President

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe I'm missing something, but what difference does a person's gender or race have to do with what's best for this country?

Too easy. You ask that question and then everyone gives you a big thumbs up because the correct answer should be: It makes no difference. All races and genders are created equal and the leader of the greatest country on Earth should be selected without regard to sex, religion, or gender.

However, the world is not a perfect place and although domestically I believe we are ready to accept either as our leader, there are countries that will not accept women as equals nor as someone to be negotiated with nor taken seriously in any way. The question asked was "Which would be better for the country?" While it shouldn't matter, I believe it does. Probably not enough to cause me to vote for one over the other (I like going against prevaling viewpoints in Iran), but it does matter.

Too easy. You ask that question and then everyone gives you a big thumbs up because the correct answer should be: It makes no difference. All races and genders are created equal and the leader of the greatest country on Earth should be selected without regard to sex, religion, or gender.

However, the world is not a perfect place and although domestically I believe we are ready to accept either as our leader, there are countries that will not accept women as equals nor as someone to be negotiated with nor taken seriously in any way. The question asked was "Which would be better for the country?" While it shouldn't matter, I believe it does. Probably not enough to cause me to vote for one over the other (I like going against prevaling viewpoints in Iran), but it does matter.

Margaret didn't seem to have these problems.

My only real concern with a female president would be her having the nuclear codes during those 5 days a month.

Elton is right. Misogyny is alive and well.

"I never cease to be amazed at the misogynistic attitude of some of the people in this country... And I say to hell with them." ---ELTON JOHN (at fundraiser for Hillary)

OK, you made me look up misogyny. Happy now?:rolleyes::D

As for Sir Elton, are you sure he didn't mean misogamy?

Maybe I'm missing something, but what difference does a person's gender or race have to do with what's best for this country?

If you lived in a country in which your race had been a slave and you had NEVER seen a leader of the country who was white, would it be uplifting to you for a white man to be elected President?

If you lived in a country in which your race had been a slave and you had NEVER seen a leader of the country who was white, would it be uplifting to you for a white man to be elected President?

I do not think I would be uplifted, because I do not judge a man by the color of his skin but by the content of his character... I can not remember who said that, but he was a pretty smart fella...;)

I am not naive and realize that not everyone in this country or the world thinks that way. If someone is uplifted by a member of a specific race being elected then I think it sets back the notion of looking at a human being and seing a person instead of seeing a race. And the longer we continue to categorize people by race, instead of human beings, the longer it will take achieve Dr. King's dream.

Don't get me wrong bball, I know what you are trying to say and I understand it, just wish we could move toward everyone being apart of the human race.

I do not think I would be uplifted, because I do not judge a man by the color of his skin but by the content of his character... I can not remember who said that, but he was a pretty smart fella...;)

I am not naive and realize that not everyone in this country or the world thinks that way. If someone is uplifted by a member of a specific race being elected then I think it sets back the notion of looking at a human being and seing a person instead of seeing a race. And the longer we continue to categorize people by race, instead of human beings, the longer it will take achieve Dr. King's dream.

Don't get me wrong bball, I know what you are trying to say and I understand it, just wish we could move toward everyone being apart of the human race.

I understand what you are saying and 100% agree with you.

But we are not there yet and are trying to move down that road. I wonder if elected an African-American President would not remove some of the stereotypes on both sides of the argument.

The racial side that says an African-American cannot serve in that role and this country would not accept it.

The racial side that says this country is still too racist and holding African-Americans back.

Both stereotypes would lose fuel to their fire and move us closer to that point that we are judging people by their content and not the color of their skin.

Of course, if we judged people on their content, the Democrats would really be hurting then.:D;):lol: