New research finds that conservatives are happier than liberals

Individuals with conservative ideologies are happier than liberal-leaners, and new research pinpoints the reason: Conservatives rationalize social and economic inequalities.

Regardless of marital status, income or church attendance, right-wing individuals reported greater life satisfaction and well-being than left-wingers, the new study found. Conservatives also scored highest on measures of rationalization, which gauge a person's tendency to justify, or explain away, inequalities.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20080507/sc_livescience/conservativeshappierthanliberals

Conservatives rationalize social and economic inequalities.

Conservatives also scored highest on measures of rationalization, which gauge a person's tendency to justify, or explain away, inequalities.

BTW, does anyone feel like this is a little slanted? Like it is saying that conservatives can make up excuses for life's problems rather than address them? I haven't seen rationalization painted in this negative of a manner.

BTW, does anyone feel like this is a little slanted? Like it is saying that conservatives can make up excuses for life's problems rather than address them? I haven't seen rationalization painted in this negative of a manner.
I agree. The story is extremely slanted in its wording. Conservatives are more likely to strongly believe that equal opportunity does not produce equal outcomes, but according to the article I am just "explaining away" differences in people's statuses.

The objective of this study seems to be to explain away the results of the earlier Pew study.

I wonder if the researchers ever considered the possibility that people who believe that they have some control over their own lives are happier than those who believe that they are somebody else's powerless victims?

That's why I posted the article, to start discussion. I would agree that there seems to be slant from the outset. :thumb:

Frankly, I think moderates are most happy. Conservatives are ideoligically oblivious, and liberals are obliviously ideologic. :D

Actually, I think us moderates are the most frustrated, having to put up with stupidity on both sides and being completely disregarded.

Geez, BGP liberals... I can't believe I've yet to see the ultimate reply for this thread from their side...

"Ignorace is bliss."

Actually, I think us moderates are the most frustrated, having to put up with stupidity on both sides and being completely disregarded.

Geez, BGP liberals... I can't believe I've yet to see the ultimate reply for this thread from their side...

"Ignorace is bliss."

Nah...moderates are far pretty balanced, both consciously and ideologically. They're pretty good at putting things in perspective, and not looking for someone else to blame all the time. :D

Frankly, I think moderates are most happy. Conservatives are ideoligically oblivious, and liberals are obliviously ideologic. :D

I'm going to need some time to digest that ...

I need someone to translate it.:lol:

Smaller words and type slower for me, please.:D