More on Global Warming... Major Arctic sea ice melt is expected this summer

WASHINGTON - The Arctic will remain on thinning ice, and climate warming is expected to begin affecting the Antarctic also, scientists said Friday.

"The long-term prognosis is not very optimistic," atmospheric scientist Jennifer Francis of Rutgers University said at a briefing.

Last summer sea ice in the North shrank to a record low, a change many attribute to global warming.

But while solar radiation and amounts of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere are similar at the poles, to date the regions have responded differently, with little change in the South, explained oceanographer James Overland of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

Read the rest here...

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Per NASA :

Nghiem said the rapid decline in winter perennial ice the past two years was caused by unusual winds...........

"The winds causing this trend in ice reduction were set up by an unusual pattern of atmospheric pressure that began at the beginning of this century,"

I am not ready to jump on the man-made global warming bandwagon yet, but I do believe that the topic needs to unbiased researching.

An analysis by NOAA’s National Climatic Data Center shows that the average temperature for March in the contiguous United States ranked near average for the past 113 years. It was the 63rd warmest March since record-keeping began in the United States in 1895.

The average global land temperature last month was the warmest on record and ocean surface temperatures were the 13th warmest. Combining the land and the ocean temperatures, the overall global temperature ranked the second warmest for the month of March. Global temperature averages have been recorded since 1880.

LINK

Everybody sing!

I got some

ocean front property in southwest Tampa.

Melting glaciers givin' me the sea.

I got some

ocean front property in southwest Tampa.

If you'll buy that, I'll throw the Sky Way Bridge in free.

:jump:

We're all going to die.

Its George Bush's fault.

Or Ty Willingham's.

Dadgummit, why'd you tell me that. I thought I was going to live forever. :D

Actually I shouldn't be so glib about dying. I just got the news that a high school classmate died this past Saturday. Another reminder how precious life is and how we best enjoy every moment we are alive. Global warming or not.

Investigation by the HHSDad News team has reaveal the real villans in this story. The below picture shows where the missing Arctic ice is ending up.
That gives a whole new meaning to the term "Sliders".

The average temperature across both the contiguous U.S. and the globe during climatological winter (December 2007-February 2008) was the coolest since 2001, according to scientists at NOAA’s National Climatic Data Center in Asheville, N.C. In terms of winter precipitation, Pacific storms, bringing heavy precipitation to large parts of the West, produced high snowpack that will provide welcome runoff this spring.

I've just had an epiphany:

Most liberal Democrats live in coastal or close to coastal cities: L.A., SFO, Seattle, D.C., NYC, Boston, etc. etc.

Global warming makes the seas rise. Tsunamis wipe out the coastal cities.

Liberal Democrats drown, or at least float away. Phoenix becomes the new capitol. All is right with the world.

I've just had an epiphany:

Most liberal Democrats live in coastal or close to coastal cities: L.A., SFO, Seattle, D.C., NYC, Boston, etc. etc.

Global warming makes the seas rise. Tsunamis wipe out the coastal cities.

Liberal Democrats drown, or at least float away. Phoenix becomes the new capitol. All is right with the world.

That's what I'm talking about :ylsuper::ylsuper::ylsuper:

Conservative environmental devastatators wouldn't believe man-made global warming if Jesus descended from heaven and said it was so.

And most Republican conservative fools who do believe that there is factual evidence of warming just don't care. Their attitude is- I won't be here that long, so let a future generation worry about it.

Conservative environmental devastatators wouldn't believe man-made global warming if Jesus descended from heaven and said it was so.

And most Republican conservative fools who do believe that there is factual evidence of warming just don't care. Their attitude is- I won't be here that long, so let a future generation worry about it.

So, you are confident that Big Al is right and the factual evidence that the oceans have been cooling and other evidence that contradicts liberal orthodoxy concerning global warming is wrong? The fact that the models predicting global warming have proven to be very inaccurate (away from Al's direction) and now some global warming alarmists are lowering expectations by predicting a short-term global cooling of ten years or more does not raise questions in your mind? Now that is what I call faith! :lol:

Why is it that liberals smell conspiracies and price gouging when rich white men make large profits in business ventures but in Gore's case, his pronouncements of global doom are met with adulation as he pockets millions jetting from one venue to another to deliver the same speech? Forgive me for recognizing the irony of liberals' willing suspension of disbelief on the one hand and the willingness to believe only the worst in mankind on the other hand. :D

P. T. Barnum was right when he said that there is a sucker born every minute but the earth's growing population screams for Barnum's model to be updated. Who can fault Barnum for not predicting the effectiveness of modern day snake oil salesmen? It also probably never occurred to him that people would someday pay good money for bottled tap water. :lol: