Pitino was fantastic tonight and likely forgiven...

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rick Pitino gave a wonderful speech this evening at the Keightley Memorial Service.

First off he was the first speaker up right after the video montage of Keightley to the MercyMe song "I Can Only Imagine" (a song that practically chokes me up everytime I hear it) that was interepersed with Keightley talking...and he held it together...even referenced being first up.

He had some very good quotes.

The one where he almost broke down even though he was misty-eyed throughout...was when he referenced, that "Keightley was his last link to the University" and that made it hurt so much . It was very genuine...

Another line is where he referenced the passing of Cawood Ledford..."when Cawood died the Univeristy of Kentucky lost its soul" Then referenced Keightley, "now with Keightley's passing they have lost its heart"

One of the lighter moments was when he recalled calling Keightley to tell him he was returning to coach at Louisville...Keightley's response was, "Dang (word violation for dang)boy you lost your mind?" Pitino tried to explain and Keightley said the same thing.

I don't know how UK fans can be critical of Coach Pitino anymore after the performance he gave this evening.

It is time to move on and forgive and relish the memories.

BTW, Pitino was the first speaker to get an ovation after speaking.

Thanks Coach.:thumb:

If anyone can find a youtube link of the ceremony I would love to watch it again...the video montage with MercyMe was the best video tribute I have seen thus far.

This isn't the whole ceremony but it is Coach Rick Pitino's Speech.

My impression of Pitino was that he never quite understood the magnitude of UK basketball, it's history, and it's fan support. I believe that he thought he could come to Louisville and a large percentage of the fans who adored him at UK would switch allegiances and become U of L fans. He was shocked at the reception he recieved his first time back at Rupp.

I think he understands now and IMO it's time to forgive and forget. I'll never root for Louisville but I can be a Pitino fan once again.

My impression of Pitino was that he never quite understood the magnitude of UK basketball, it's history, and it's fan support. I believe that he thought he could come to Louisville and a large percentage of the fans who adored him at UK would switch allegiances and become U of L fans. He was shocked at the reception he recieved his first time back at Rupp.

I think he understands now and IMO it's time to forgive and forget. I'll never root for Louisville but I can be a Pitino fan once again.

I totally disagree with the above statement. Pitino was there from 90-97. He knew exactly how big UK basketball was for the state and it's fans. He, like me, never understood how a fan base could treat someone who had done so much for the UK program so poorly. I will always been a huge fan of Coach Pitino.

Pitino arrived at UK during what was probably their lowest point ever. He quickly turned things around and made the program fun again even during the rebuilding process. He helped make folk heros out of The Unforgettables and was the recipient of adoration from a gratefull fan base. He was absolutely the right man at the right time. However, I seldom heard him speak of Kentucky tradition and those who came before him other than the mess it was in prior to him being hired. In reading Pitino interviews I always got the impression that he felt that he built the program when, in reality, he did a magnificent job of restoring it. We are and should be gratefull for that and it is fitting that a jersey representing him hangs in the Rupp rafters.

As I said earlier, I think he understands that now and I have no problem with treating him with respect whenever he visits. However, as Mr Keightley was quoted, the program is bigger than any one player or coach. It's an accumulation of all who were a part of it.

I totally disagree with the above statement. Pitino was there from 90-97. He knew exactly how big UK basketball was for the state and it's fans. He, like me, never understood how a fan base could treat someone who had done so much for the UK program so poorly. I will always been a huge fan of Coach Pitino.

Please refresh my memory, what did UK fans do to him that was so bad...

He was booed upon his return to Rupp with a U of L team. I thought that was a bit over the top but I also thought some did it light heartedly. I always thought it would have been much more appropriate just to give him brief, polite applause when he was introduced. I think it would have sent the same message.

I agree for the most part...I think he knew and expected there would be some backlash, but was probably surprised by the magnitude of it.

But, in no way do I think Pitino didn't grasp the magnitude of UK basketball. And he certainly didn't think UK fans would switch allegiance because of him.

The insults that were directed toward him, and his wife were totally inappropriate. To boo him is one thing, but some of the things that I heard were said to him, and his wife are just unacceptable behavior. It's basketball folks. The man did what he thought was best for him, and his family. Some people simply need to get life's priorities figured out.