Pitino was fantastic tonight and likely forgiven...

Rick Pitino gave a wonderful speech this evening at the Keightley Memorial Service.

First off he was the first speaker up right after the video montage of Keightley to the MercyMe song "I Can Only Imagine" (a song that practically chokes me up everytime I hear it) that was interepersed with Keightley talking...and he held it together...even referenced being first up.

He had some very good quotes.

The one where he almost broke down even though he was misty-eyed throughout...was when he referenced, that "Keightley was his last link to the University" and that made it hurt so much . It was very genuine...

Another line is where he referenced the passing of Cawood Ledford..."when Cawood died the Univeristy of Kentucky lost its soul" Then referenced Keightley, "now with Keightley's passing they have lost its heart"

One of the lighter moments was when he recalled calling Keightley to tell him he was returning to coach at Louisville...Keightley's response was, "Dang (word violation for dang)boy you lost your mind?" Pitino tried to explain and Keightley said the same thing.

I don't know how UK fans can be critical of Coach Pitino anymore after the performance he gave this evening.

It is time to move on and forgive and relish the memories.

BTW, Pitino was the first speaker to get an ovation after speaking.

Thanks Coach.:thumb:

If anyone can find a youtube link of the ceremony I would love to watch it again...the video montage with MercyMe was the best video tribute I have seen thus far.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watched the whole service on KYT and Pitino was by far the best speaker. As much as Bill Keightly hated Louisville, he still loved Rick Pitino enough to go to Charlotte and watch the hated Cardinals in the NCAA, even encouraging Pitino to win a national championship. That's good enough for me. No KY fan should ever have anything negative to say about Pitino's character after this service.

I will never cheer for UofL, but after watching Pitino and listening to his words, I will never boo or say anything negative about him again. He just gained back every ounce of respect that I had watching him as I grew up. He is all class, that's all that I can say...

I've never been able to hate Pitino. I was heartbroken when he left and ticked off when he went to UL, but I've never hated him. I was a student at UK when he was there and I will always appreciate him for what he did for the school. There were some dark times before the Unforgettables.