Cooper High Jaguars

Sandman you're wrong again. The teaching and coaching contracts are separate, trust me I've had both. They are signed separate and they don't "add" to your salary. You think you know everything but you don't so get over it.

They actually do add to their salary, but you are right it is required 90 days before the start of school if there will be a reduction in duties or pay. So he would have had to been told he would not be the basketball coach sometime in May depending on when Boone county started school in 2007. This is according to KRS 161.760. So my guess would be that he made the choice to stop coaching basketball not Ryle. Just based on the timing of the position he is in opening up. Besides I had a conversation with him in May where he told me he was returning as coach.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sandman you're wrong again. The teaching and coaching contracts are separate, trust me I've had both. They are signed separate and they don't "add" to your salary. You think you know everything but you don't so get over it.

I'll play along just for kicks and giggles. Where was I wrong the first time?

I know I don't know everything, but I'm pretty sure I'm right almost always when I post regarding facts.

It'll take a bit more of an effort than this to make me not stand by my post.

Not sure if this thread is about the cooper job or about who knows what about how coaches and teachers get hired or let go. At this point does any body really care?? Nate is now the principal and Alan is now the coach. Who cares how it happened.

I would have to think that Garnett and Pittman would have to be the leading candidates unless there is an established head coach looking to make a move.

They both work in district and should have some familiarity with the AD.

I'll have AD Matt Wilhoite on my radio show this weekend. We'll ask all of the questions posed here on who is at the head of the class for candidates.

Can't wait !! It will be nice to get to the bottom of this and see once and for all who has the best information. :sssh:

Yeah, like he is actually going to give names as top candidates

I have heard that they are trying to get the head coaches in the building. This seems to eliminate both Garnett and Pittman as they are both PE teachers and from what I gather from the list of teachers already hired, there is not a teaching position in that area still available.

I think there is still a business position open, which opens the door for Sullivan from Holmes. I have heard he would be interested and I think he would be a good choice.

Noel Williams is already hired as a teacher, and if he is interested in being a head coach again, he might fit.

Carr from Scott was interviewed for the Ryle position, from what I understand he lives near Conner, so I would venture to say he would be interested in Cooper. I am not sure what he teaches though.

Again, I think they want to hire a coach that is a teacher in the building and with all of the transfers and repositioning of teachers within the county, this may limit the possibilities.

On the other issue. In Boone County, coaches are paid a percentage of a Rank III teacher salary according to the number of years they have coached. For example, a coach who has coached 10 years might be paid 10% of a 10 year teacher's Rank III salary. If that salary is 30,000, they would make 3,000 to coach that team. All coaches are on one year extra-duty contracts that are signed at the beginning of the school year they are coaching. I am not sure if there is a specific date that coaches have to be informed they are not rehired, but most principals would make that decision soon after the season so they could hire someone else. So basically, Niemi would have still been the coach if he had not resigned in July. My sources tell me that no one forced him out and that he had full support of Mr. Cooper as well as Mr. Turner when he became principal in July. Enough on that topic.

I have heard that they are trying to get the head coaches in the building. This seems to eliminate both Garnett and Pittman as they are both PE teachers and from what I gather from the list of teachers already hired, there is not a teaching position in that area still available.

I think there is still a business position open, which opens the door for Sullivan from Holmes. I have heard he would be interested and I think he would be a good choice.

Noel Williams is already hired as a teacher, and if he is interested in being a head coach again, he might fit.

Carr from Scott was interviewed for the Ryle position, from what I understand he lives near Conner, so I would venture to say he would be interested in Cooper. I am not sure what he teaches though.

Again, I think they want to hire a coach that is a teacher in the building and with all of the transfers and repositioning of teachers within the county, this may limit the possibilities.

On the other issue. In Boone County, coaches are paid a percentage of a Rank III teacher salary according to the number of years they have coached. For example, a coach who has coached 10 years might be paid 10% of a 10 year teacher's Rank III salary. If that salary is 30,000, they would make 3,000 to coach that team. All coaches are on one year extra-duty contracts that are signed at the beginning of the school year they are coaching. I am not sure if there is a specific date that coaches have to be informed they are not rehired, but most principals would make that decision soon after the season so they could hire someone else. So basically, Niemi would have still been the coach if he had not resigned in July. My sources tell me that no one forced him out and that he had full support of Mr. Cooper as well as Mr. Turner when he became principal in July. Enough on that topic.

Carr is the Dean of Displicne at Scott. Not sure if that is the official title, but he runs the in school detetion. I think a business postion would fit him well at Cooper.

On the other issue. In Boone County, coaches are paid a percentage of a Rank III teacher salary according to the number of years they have coached. For example, a coach who has coached 10 years might be paid 10% of a 10 year teacher's Rank III salary. If that salary is 30,000, they would make 3,000 to coach that team.

Shadrach, you are wrong on two things. One no one has been interviewed for the basketball coaching position yet. This is straight from Mike Wilson the principal. Two, the percentage that a coach makes in Boone County for a varsity basketball coach is 17% of the number of years of experience of a Rank III teacher. For Example:

Exp Salary x 17%

1 30000 5100

2 31000 5270

3 32000 5440

4 33000 5610

15 50000 8500

Shadrach, you are wrong on two things. One no one has been interviewed for the basketball coaching position yet. This is straight from Mike Wilson the principal. Two, the percentage that a coach makes in Boone County for a varsity basketball coach is 17% of the number of years of experience of a Rank III teacher. For Example:

Exp Salary x 17%

1 30000 5100

2 31000 5270

3 32000 5440

4 33000 5610

15 50000 8500

He actually isn't wrong he never said anyone was interviewed for the Cooper job he said the job at Ryle (I am assuming he means when Mullins got the job), and he just gave an example of 10% he didn't say that was what it is.

He actually isn't wrong he never said anyone was interviewed for the Cooper job he said the job at Ryle (I am assuming he means when Mullins got the job), and he just gave an example of 10% he didn't say that was what it is.

You are correct, I overread the post. But, he was saying that the percentage is based on # of years it is not. The percentage stays the same but the years served is used as the base to use that percentage on.

You are correct, I overread the post. But, he was saying that the percentage is based on # of years it is not. The percentage stays the same but the years served is used as the base to use that percentage on.

Whataboutthis clarified for me. I was simply using 10% as an example because the math is much easier. The percentage does stay the same for a particular sport. Each sport has different percentages although I do not know what those are.

First, my fault on the regional title game he actually sat a District Title game. And, no he was not retained for the 06-07 season. He was in talks to move up to principal before April 15th and did not resign a contract. It was known throughout the building that the new principal wanted his own coach and was getting a lot of pressure from within, (see Ferguson), to make a change.

Your way off with here FRM. In fact you really have no clue. Ferguson graduated Ryle in 2004 two years previous to the death of Randy Cooper. Therefore, there was no new prinicpal there until two years after the Ferguson deal. You need to get your stuff straight in a hurry it sounds like. And lets be honest, the adminstration at Ryle will always have football number 1. Randy Cooper told parents that Nate would be the coach as long as he wanted because he was a good Chemistry teacher. The basketball program will never be held to the same standard as the football program. How many different football coaches went through Ryle compared to basketball coaches in the last 10 years? The summer before Ryle won the Region Championship in 2002 Nate turned his letter of resignation in and told Cooper that he was not the right person for the job. Cooper talked him into staying, and fortunately Doellman and Feagan led the Raiders to the 9th region crown.