Multi-sport participation

BigBlueBash

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It really bothers me when coaches fight over athletes at small schools. By this I mean making them choose one sport over the other. "If you play that, you can't play this."

Another very good post and point about some coaches. I have known of some coaches that although they may have allowed a kid to play their sport, they held it against the kid for playing the other.

Unfortunately, there are coaches out there who basically tell the kid, "if you are going to play basketball, you can't play other sports". Basketball has basically become a year round sport with regular season, AAU, summer ball, conditioning, etc. and some coaches discourage multi-sport participation so the kid can develop his basketball skills. It's not like it was many years ago when I was in school. Back then you played as many different sports as you wanted and stuck with those that you enjoyed.

Another very good post and point about some coaches. I have known of some coaches that although they may have allowed a kid to play their sport, they held it against the kid for playing the other.

If that is the case then the school should consider letting that coach go. IMO - if a coach is there just to make himself look good and not for the students -- then get rid of that coach.

If that is the case then the school should consider letting that coach go. IMO - if a coach is there just to make himself look good and not for the students -- then get rid of that coach.

So, a coach has success and makes deep runs in the postseason, winning regional and maybe even state championships, and the AD is going to let him go because he does not encourage his players to play another sport in the offseason.

You really think that is going to happen in the state of KY?

I saw it happen and another school with a lot of history was very eager to hire the coach because they had so much success.

I know an instance where a kid ran XC all his life and had tremendous success, but when HS came he wanted to try a new sport and not only focus on running. The coach tried to force his hand pretty much and told him that if he played another sport, he couldn't run anymore, with the idea that he wouldn't give up on something he has had so much success with. I bet he wishes he would've had the kid for his last 4 years and not just his first 4...

While coaches are being heaped the baggage on in this thread, parents do the same thing.

Kid needs to play one sport and focus on the holy grail of a college scholarship instead of playing multiple sports and enjoying their HS years. They will have their whole life to focus and be serious. Let them be kids, daggone it.

• 3 weeks later...
Unfortunately, there are coaches out there who basically tell the kid, "if you are going to play basketball, you can't play other sports". Basketball has basically become a year round sport with regular season, AAU, summer ball, conditioning, etc. and some coaches discourage multi-sport participation so the kid can develop his basketball skills. It's not like it was many years ago when I was in school. Back then you played as many different sports as you wanted and stuck with those that you enjoyed.

So its just basketball?

Football coaches don't have year around weight lifting, spring practice, and summer passing leagues?

So its just basketball?

Football coaches don't have year around weight lifting, spring practice, and summer passing leagues?

IMO - there shouldn't be spring football. Track and Baseball take a hit because of this 3-week "requirement".

Kids should be able to play football in the fall, basketball or wrestling in the winter, and baseball, track, or golf in the spring. The summer should be the only time a kid has to decide between sports to "specialize".