What Makes Nascar a Sport?

halfback20

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that it is a sport. Just not an exciting one for me to watch.

You may be a good driver, but how do you know if you are a good driver at 200 MPH, with a helmet on, with a brace that will not let your head move, in very hot conditions?

This statement indicates to me that the ability to be good at NASCAR is not something (like basketball or baseball) that often includes incredible hand-eye coordination, athletic, ability, basketball skills, etc. To be a good NASCAR driver you just need determination and training. No real athletic talent involved.

Not than anyone in this forum will agree with me- hb I can't believe that you moved this thread into NASCAR's home turf :lol:

I agree that it is a sport. Just not an exciting one for me to watch.

This statement indicates to me that the ability to be good at NASCAR is not something (like basketball or baseball) that often includes incredible hand-eye coordination, athletic, ability, basketball skills, etc. To be a good NASCAR driver you just need determination and training. No real athletic talent involved.

Not than anyone in this forum will agree with me- hb I can't believe that you moved this thread into NASCAR's home turf :lol:

I'm arguing FOR Nascar, why wouldn't I move it into Nascar's home turf?

I 100% believe Nascar is a true sport. It is! It takes a very good driver with skills that I do not possess to drive a Nascar. If it just took a little experience, every dirt track racer in the country would eventually be in Nascar. That isn't the case.

I'm arguing FOR Nascar, why wouldn't I move it into Nascar's home turf?

I 100% believe Nascar is a true sport. It is! It takes a very good driver with skills that I do not possess to drive a Nascar. If it just took a little experience, every dirt track racer in the country would eventually be in Nascar. That isn't the case.

Don't go looking in Ohio for any propects. :lol::sssh:

I personally don't view auto racing as a sport....I like it, but I don't feel its a sport. When you ride something that's doing most of the work, it's not a sport in my eyes. I also don't feel that competitions that must be judged (ie ice skating, cheerleading, etc...) to win, can't be sports. You have to be able to WIN, and have everyone know it so to speak.

I think the point that Jim was making was that they really are not true athletes in Auto Racing, which to me would not make it a sport. Yea, there is competition but it's not an athletic competition which to me means it's not a sport. The car factors too much into the ability to win, not their athletic ability.

I would have to say the competitiveness of the race and fighting for position to be in the last 3 or 4 laps of a race. During the race would be to stay out of trouble and find the right position to be in, in order to attack. The endurance of one in the car it self driving etc., JD

Pit crew members are athletes, they factor into the outcome, and are not given the spotlight like the drivers are. They are like an offensive lineman in football. Without the ability of the 7 over-the-wall guys changing 4 tires, adding 14 gallons of gas, cleaning the grill and windshield, making whatever adjustments need to be made to the car, and giving the driver a bottle of water, all under 14 seconds, the races would not be as exciting as they are. Motor sports are sports, rather it be drag racing, oval track, or road courses, the athletes that bring it to us deserve to be called athletes.

I think that definition for "sport" is far too broad. I'd say it is any any act of athleticism that involves competition. Otherwise, academic team, euchre, or band could be considered "sport".

:thumb: Agree. The term "sport" to me implies that some type of specialized athletic skill is required and I just don't see that in auto racing. It's competitive, it's (sometimes) exciting, some of the drivers are indeed characters, and they certainly can do something most of us can't, but I just don't see it as a sport in the same sense as baseball, basketball, football, hockey, track, soccer, boxing, etc...

It's glorified video game playing. Takes the same type of hand-eye coordination skills I use when driving a high rate of speed on a challenging, curvy road. Same as darts, billiards, horseshoes, etc. I have a lot more respect for those guys out at the local dirt track, who work on their own cars, etc.

Had I grown up a gearhead, I might have a different opinion of it, I suppose.