What Makes Nascar a Sport?

halfback20

I personally don't view auto racing as a sport....I like it, but I don't feel its a sport. When you ride something that's doing most of the work, it's not a sport in my eyes. I also don't feel that competitions that must be judged (ie ice skating, cheerleading, etc...) to win, can't be sports. You have to be able to WIN, and have everyone know it so to speak.

Guess that rules out boxing...:rolleyes:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...and gymnastics, equestrian sports, platform diving....

...mixed martial arts...

Of course, I guess boxing and MMA could be classified as half sports since they can be won outright with a KO, so 100% of the contests aren't judged. How do we account for that? Is it OK to call it a half-sport?

Then again, half-sport may not be accurate, because I'd say less than half of the matches end by a KO. I can't count TKO's because those are often a referee's judgement call...

Quarter-sports?

Would you be willing to drive up the highway at 55 mph surrounded by 42 other cars and tap the guy in front of you on the bumper. These guys are fearless and do it on a 1/2 mile track at speeds 4 times that. I couldnt do what they do, just as I couldnt do what MJ or Tiger does. NASCAR IS A SPORT, and one of the best and fastest growing. Get used to it, it is only going to get more popular in the future. P.S. I'll pay top dollar for you to come to Greenup County and tell Candy Berry to her face that cheerleading is not a sport. When you do, bring an ice pack for the black eye I know it will hurt.

My wife was a phenominal cheerleader, and to this day, I tell her that it's not a sport. Honestly I would view it as a sport more than I would auto racing. Keep in mind, I am not diminishing what these exceptionally talented drivers are doing. I could never do it. Driving a car, is not a sport...unless your feet are pedaling it.