You make the call... 2

UKCATSFAN

HHS... Sorry you are wrong.

You can only have pass interference on a legal forward pass.

The only foul on this play is illegal forward pass, 5 yards from the spot of the foul, and a loss of down.

You can have as many backward passes in a down as any team in possession of the ball wants. However, there can only be one legal forward pass during a down.

Oh well. Does the defense have the choice of keeping the ball or is the play called dead upon the 2nd forward pass?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, we've had some really good responses to this play but here's the ruling:

Legal contact by B1 and an illegal forward pass by A1. Pass interference restrictions for B players ended when the shovel pass was touched. B will likely decline the penalty and keep the ball. If the illegal forward pass is accepted, it is a 5 yd penalty and loss of down at the spot of the foul but A would retain the ball.

This is a new rule change. In previous years the ruling would be completely different. Previously you would have defensive pass interference but with the new change the ruling is different.

I like to see everyone's opinion on these plays. I really enjoyed trying to figure out the call on the TV segment.

In the past after the first forward pass was completed( or touched), you could no longer be penalized for pass interference on the second pass or third and so on.

In the past after the first forward pass was completed( or touched), you could no longer be penalized for pass interference on the second pass or third and so on.

That is what I was thinking, I guess that changed.