Is Adam Dunn becoming the face of the Reds?

At one point, he was a face of a spoiled athlete when the Bob Boone and recliner incident occurred.

But over the last month that seems to be changing.

The owner says he wants him here and alludes to here for a long time.

Dunn says he wants to be here.

The Brennemans say some positive things about him.

Dusty wants him here.

Notice NO OTHER player was really talked about during the Dusty press conference. Dunn was the focus of it after Dusty.

Is Adam Dunn getting an Extreme Makeover Reds style and becoming the face of the Reds?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For the record, I've never thought of him as a spoiled athlete with an attitude nor do I think he's changed very much. He's been very consistent in his demeanor and approach. It doesn't fit the image of "scrapper" or "hustling" because he's 270 pounds. His sarcastic and light-hearted approach to the media is IMO often misinterpreted by us fans wanting the standard cliches thrown up in our lap.

For the record, I've never thought of him as a spoiled athlete with an attitude nor do I think he's changed very much. He's been very consistent in his demeanor and approach. It doesn't fit the image of "scrapper" or "hustling" because he's 270 pounds. His sarcastic and light-hearted approach to the media is IMO often misinterpreted by us fans wanting the standard cliches thrown up in our lap.

So is that a yes or a no?:lol:

For me, if the Reds sign him to a long-term contract, his face is on every billboard, every media guide, every promotion, every Caravan stop, every media interview. I saturate this market with pro-Dunn stuff. I give the fans no chance but to love this guy. I have stories of him with little kids, I setup a not-for-profit foundation where he gives away tickets and trips to kids. I have him visiting hospitals. He is everywhere and positive and becomes the face of the Reds.

IF I commit to him financially in a long-term deal.

The Reds do a TERRIBLE job marketing their players.

All of the marketing stuff is fine until Dunn strikes out 3 times in one game or misplays a ball in LF at which point the "I told you Dunn sucks" boys come back out in full force.

I don't know if I'd make him the face or not. I do know I'd keep him on the team without any hesitation.

All of the marketing stuff is fine until Dunn strikes out 3 times in one game or misplays a ball in LF at which point the "I told you Dunn sucks" boys come back out in full force.

I don't know if I'd make him the face or not. I do know I'd keep him on the team without any hesitation.

At I'd guess 15 mil a year in a long term deal, he'll have no choice but to be the face of the franchise...

If you are going to pay him $13-15 mill a year for 5 years, doesn't he HAVE to be the face of the team?

Those things have bought Jr a lot of love and staved off the boo birds to an extent.

I am not sure committing that much money to a player and he ends up coming across, personality wise like a Manrod or a Bonds, will work in this town.

This town has to love it's leading Reds' players.

At I'd guess 15 mil a year in a long term deal, he'll have no choice but to be the face of the franchise...

I understand what you're saying but a)I don't think its his style and b)he's such a polarizing sports figure that it could backfire from a marketing perspective.

I don't think the highest paid player has to be the face.

I am not sure committing that much money to a player and he ends up coming across, personality wise like a Manrod or a Bonds, will work in this town.

Again, if the average fan could think for themselves and not require cliches in their quotes they would understand his dry sense of humor. We're not there yet. We want Pete Rose quotes. We want Ryan Freel jumping into stands. We want (fill in the blank of the overachiever).

I understand what you're saying but a)I don't think its his style and b)he's such a polarizing sports figure that it could backfire from a marketing perspective.

I don't think the highest paid player has to be the face.

IN a Yankees market, I would agree with you. But the Reds market, I think it is.

IN a Yankees market, I would agree with you. But the Reds market, I think it is.

Why? We're a "baseball town," right? Does every team have a "face" player? Is it required? Get me some pitching and I could care less who the face is . The face isn't prying cash out of my pocket for tickets. Winning will.

If we're looking for a face that fans will like, put Hobbs up on your billboards.

Why? We're a "baseball town," right? Does every team have a "face" player? Is it required? Get me some pitching and I could care less who the face is . The face isn't prying cash out of my pocket for tickets. Winning will.

If we're looking for a face that fans will like, put Hobbs up on your billboards.

Well the Yankees have 3 or 4 players over $15 million. ARod is the highest paid but Jeter is the face. Yet, he is handsomely paid too. So, in a Yankees market you can get by with it because you have multiple players making big bucks.

Hobbs might not be here next year. You haven't committed to him long term and he has to still prove himself over the long haul.

That's you. Are kids buying team jerseys or individual jerseys? When my kid goes, he goes to see Jr and Dunn. Used to be Casey and Phillips is slowing becoming a favorite of his. He could care less about the Reds in general. He wants to see his favorite players.

If the faces were not important would we have the different bobbleheads and the Arroyo hair nights, etc that are so succesful?

Paying Dunn $15 mill/yr. AND getting "pitching" while keeping payroll under control won't work for a market as small as Cincy's.

Two things MUST be present for a small market team to contend:

1. Superior minor league talent and coaching.

2. Great talent evaluation (from high school level -home and abroad- through eval. other teams' players)

Use #1 and #2 to develop from WITHIN and sign young players to long-term contracts before they bloom.

If these 2 necessities aren't present, the difference must be made up with more $$$$.

FWIW... The Reds don't have #1 or #2, and won't spend $$$$.