Highlands 44 Dixie 14

Birdsfan

Just goes to show that some part time jobs just don't work out and perhaps one should look elsewhere for their calling. That crew would be great as Greeters at the new Wal Mart. Of course the uniforms are not as nice.

Hey, WhoozYoDaddy, you really know good talent when you see it don't you? Why don't you consider joining the local officiating association? I'm sure that the NKOA members would "greet" you with open arms! :rolleyes: The meetings are at 7:00 PM at Beechwood. We were going to have the meetings earlier, but a majority of us can't get off work that early. Most of us "part-timers" work at the Greater Cinti Association for the Blind, the Cinti Eye Institute, Lens Crafters, Lasik Plus, the Northern Ky Eye Center, and the Stevie Wonder School of Officiating. Here's the link to our site: nkoafootball.org. I hope to "see" you at the next meeting! :cool: :cool:

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, in your original post, you mentioned a 5 yard rule.

There is no 5 yard rule in high school like there is in the NFL.

A defensive player can hit a player all the way down the field as long as the ball is not in the air.

Quite the opposite. There is no five yard rule in high school. A defensive player can Only hit the offensive player initially off the football, and only while the offensive player appears to be in a blocking motion. You can't initiate contact anywhere down the field. The only contact allowed down the field is incidental.

Quite the opposite. There is no five yard rule in high school. A defensive player can Only hit the offensive player initially off the football, and only while the offensive player appears to be in a blocking motion. You can't initiate contact anywhere down the field. The only contact allowed down the field is incidental.

This is a misunderstood rule even in the coaching ranks. I know coaches that teach LBs take deck a crossing receiver as long as the ball is not in the air.

This is a misunderstood rule even in the coaching ranks. I know coaches that teach LBs take deck a crossing receiver as long as the ball is not in the air.

Your correct. I have seen it still happen in games, and still not be called. However, the rule changed a few years ago.

First of all, I said there is NO five yard rule in high school like the one that exists in the NFL, so we agree.

You stated the rule correctly, but not the interpretation. Referees are taught that as long as the receiver has not reached the same yard line as the defender, he can be hit because he is still a potential blocker.

That is straight from Matt Young, one of the best referees in NKY, who is now doing college; he also added that defenses underutilize the ability to hit receivers.

Cshs81 is correct that a receiver running a crossing route, by definition-no longer a threat to block, cannot be hit either.

I also might add that there is no "uncatchable" rule for interference like so many fans like to argue.