Highlands 44 Dixie 14

Birdsfan

I'm sorry, but I must have seen a different game tonight. When Collinsworth went with press coverage, Detmer couldn't get off the line. When he gave him a 10 yards cushion, he was catching the quick slants. The deep pass he caught was due to the safety jumping too early. And if I was Spritzky, I would've told him to take a seat in the 3rd quarter. He gave absolutely zero effort late in the 3rd quarter and in the 4th on defense.

As for the game, Highlands speed and toughness was too much for Dixie. They simply outplay and out coached Dixie. Offensively, I thought Spritzky had a good game plan going into the game with the quick passes and runs to keep Highlands' offense off the field. However, after half, Dale made the adjustments and Tom didn't. Dixie came out trying to run the same 10 plays they ran in the first half, and Highlands was ready for every single one of them. Granted, Molony did break a couple in the second half, but when you run the same play 20 times, it's bound to work once or twice. Seriously, do they only have 10 offensive plays? Defensively, Dixie was pushed off the line almost every play, and they couldn't tackle. Their tackling was horrible. I had the pleasure of sitting with some of the most obnoxious Highlands' fans and even though we argued some of the flags, we at least agreed on the points above.

When he ( CW ) went to press coverage or bump and mug . They had the safety over the top and the outside LB slide over ! Thats what I was seeing , but ? Who is going to step up as a second WR on the backside ? They need to run a TE or ? to work the seams ! Also does anyone work the middle of the field anymore ? Eastham was a very good TE ,but I'm not sure why they don't use him on " O " . For the next 2 weeks I would work FUNDAMENTALS !!! Tackling , Blocking and finishing , special teams, BIG TIME ! CONDITIONING !!!! Dixie has the talent , but they need to use all of it !:thumb:

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The pass interference calls most of the time were from face guarding. The DB's would have their back to the reciever and the ball would come down or they would actually be going for an illegal downfield chuck (ie.. over 5 yards down field) and it would be about the same time the ball was coming to the reciever.

The ref's did a good job IMO. Not sure if everything was right, but then again I'm not sure it ever is. They were not a factor in the game IMO which is all that matters to me.:D

There is no 5 yard rule for hitting receivers in high school; that is only the NFL.

The best call of the night was when the ref didn't know the call. On the onsides kick, when the ball traveled 10 yards and then it rolled back to about 8 or 9 yards. But to no avail with the help from Dixie's sideline it almost was overturned. I'm sorry Tom, i have seen you coach about 3 dozen times and it's time to worry about your team and not trying to make sure Dale know your mad at him with throwing your arms at him in anger. I was talking to a Legendary NKY coach walking and i asked him what he thought. He said Tom gave Dale an inch and Dale took a mile. Waaaaaaaaaay Outcoached last night!!!!!!!!!!:ylsuper:

The best call of the night was when the ref didn't know the call. On the onsides kick, when the ball traveled 10 yards and then it rolled back to about 8 or 9 yards. But to no avail with the help from Dixie's sideline it almost was overturned. I'm sorry Tom, i have seen you coach about 3 dozen times and it's time to worry about your team and not trying to make sure Dale know your mad at him with throwing your arms at him in anger. I was talking to a Legendary NKY coach walking and i asked him what he thought. He said Tom gave Dale an inch and Dale took a mile. Waaaaaaaaaay Outcoached last night!!!!!!!!!!:ylsuper:

WOW!

There is no 5 yard rule for hitting receivers in high school; that is only the NFL.

Collinsworth's one flagged play was an absolute joke!!!!! He never touched Detmer and he deflected the ball with his hand. But with the help from the nearby crybaby the flag fell out of the refs shorts along with some green.

On two occasions the ball was in the air when Highlands' DB/LB's made significant contact with the Dixie WR. They were both obvious calls. On another occaison the Highlands DB was beaten, had his back to the play and simply put both of his hands in EJ's face in desperation, another obvious call.

Some of the calls were made very late. One ref literally was having a problem getting the flag out of his back pocket and that was the reason they were late.

When he ( CW ) went to press coverage or bump and mug . They had the safety over the top and the outside LB slide over ! Thats what I was seeing , but ? Who is going to step up as a second WR on the backside ? They need to run a TE or ? to work the seams ! Also does anyone work the middle of the field anymore ? Eastham was a very good TE ,but I'm not sure why they don't use him on " O " . For the next 2 weeks I would work FUNDAMENTALS !!! Tackling , Blocking and finishing , special teams, BIG TIME ! CONDITIONING !!!! Dixie has the talent , but they need to use all of it !:thumb:

:thumb: Somebody else definitely has to step up. They cannot rely on Detmer all year. As for throwing over the middle, it's been years since Dixie did that. I think Osborne was the last TE to catch balls over the middle. Even when they went with the unbalanced line last year, Stallkamp (sp?) was coming off open from the TE position, but they still weren't really passes over the middle. The middle of the field is open more times than not, and Dixie never goes there. They have to eventually open up their play book. I don't know if Spritzky doesn't have much for this team, or if the players just can't remember that many plays. With a bye and some non-district games coming up, they've got the perfect opportunity to work on some new things.

On two occasions the ball was in the air when Highlands' DB/LB's made significant contact with the Dixie WR. They were both obvious calls. On another occaison the Highlands DB was beaten, had his back to the play and simply put both of his hands in EJ's face in desperation, another obvious call.

Some of the calls were made very late. One ref was literally was having a problem getting the flag out of his back pocket and that was the reason they were late.

I agree. These plays occurred right in front of me, and even though most of the Highlands' fans around me didn't agree with them, there were two older gentlemen in front of me with Highlands' hats on that turned and said, "I don't know what these guys are yelling about, but you can't do that."

Isn't this the opposite of what is supposed to happen after the game? Isn't the team that got their butt kicked supposed to complain about the refs?

Yes...But when you only get flagged once or twice in the entire game, it is hard to do that. I agree with you that Highlands EARNED most of their penenties. That is why I said earlier if they had been able to cut down on them I don't think that the game would have been anywhere near as close as it was.

I haven't hear anyone talk about the roughing the passer call against the Birds...was everyone else looking down field like me. Just wondering what happened.

Yes...But when you only get flagged once or twice in the entire game, it is hard to do that. I agree with you that Highlands EARNED most of their penenties. That is why I said earlier if they had been able to cut down on them I don't think that the game would have been anywhere near as close as it was.

I haven't hear anyone talk about the roughing the passer call against the Birds...was everyone else looking down field like me. Just wondering what happened.

I was looking downfield also.

Isn't this the opposite of what is supposed to happen after the game? Isn't the team that got their butt kicked supposed to complain about the refs?

Yeah it really is, but i was sitting next to one of your people from the Class of 67. He even said he too wondered if the Boys in stripes were being paid. Say what you want but if Highlands cuts half the penalties which i'm confident they will by the next time we play you i will have a hard time keeping the cannon packed. Tom knows his allready a touchdown down the next time he plays Highlands because of homefield advantage. The 16 state championships hanging on that new sign walking into the stadium make it that way!!!! Good luck with the rest of your season.