Former Ashland QB eligible to play at Greenup Co.

LRCW

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4. No school-specific (or general) recruiting comments or allegations of KHSAA rules violations by any school, coach, player or booster are allowed. No talking about where any player lives, has lived, or where they are from in a recruiting context. This is not the place to report KHSAA violations. Feel free to contact http://www.khsaa.org to report such violations, but do not discuss violations here.

Folks, let's all be sure to heed rule#4 and keep this thread open.

In my view, a legitimate move is one in which the family officially changes residence, for whatever reason.

I will not name the player here but we were told that we could not own a home ANYWHERE else in the United States and even if we showed them bills with our name on them that my son was ineligible to play. He was forced to sit out even though we owned a home and moved because I owned other properties in different states. I only had one property in Kentucky. Figure that one out!!! I would like to know do they own, rent, own more than one residence or what! Not because I am against the kid but because what my son went through sitting out. What are the guidelines???????? NONE. Every one of the rules are open to interpretation. It's like the Bible everyone, especially the KHSAA members, interprets them differently!!!!:madman:

I will not name the player here but we were told that we could not own a home ANYWHERE else in the United States and even if we showed them bills with our name on them that my son was ineligible to play. He was forced to sit out even though we owned a home and moved because I owned other properties in different states. I only had one property in Kentucky. Figure that one out!!! I would like to know do they own, rent, own more than one residence or what! Not because I am against the kid but because what my son went through sitting out. What are the guidelines???????? NONE. Every one of the rules are open to interpretation. It's like the Bible everyone, especially the KHSAA members, interprets them differently!!!!:madman:
The view I expressed is strictly mine. In recent years, the KHSAA has interpreted things in a manner consistent with your experience ... case in point, the Mike Mitchell/Highlands case in 2004.

There have been two cases similar to yours that have occurred at Corbin with both student/athletes being declared ineligible due to their parents still owning property where they previously lived, one as recently as this school year. I could name numerous kids though who have transferred without any change of address and they were eligible at their new school immediately. There just does not appear to be any rhyme or reason for some of the rulings.

Worst decision I recall - Mason County had a very promising female XC runner whose mom lived in Maysville and her dad lived in Canada. She spent a year at a time with each. When she came back from Canada for her year with her mom, her eligibility here was denied. Never understood the reasoning behind that one.

Sorry about putting this in the FB thread but the theme seems to be the inconsistent rulings of the KHSAA.

Worst decision I recall - Mason County had a very promising female XC runner whose mom lived in Maysville and her dad lived in Canada. She spent a year at a time with each. When she came back from Canada for her year with her mom, her eligibility here was denied. Never understood the reasoning behind that one.

Sorry about putting this in the FB thread but the theme seems to be the inconsistent rulings of the KHSAA.

Right or wrong, the KHSAA rule is that a simple change of custody (from one parent to the other, especially if neeither of them moved) isn't enough. They've been pretty consistent in that interpretation, to the best of my knowledge.

However, I think the situation to which you refer, if described completely and accurately, was a bad decision.

I am just glad to see te Mahan kid get to play football, regardless of where it is at. All of this is supposed to be about the about the kids, is it not?? JMO
Well, I think most of us would agree that he just shouldn't be eligible wherever he goes and regardless of the circumstances. As long as the transfer meets KHSAA guidelines, it isn't a problem.