Former Ashland QB eligible to play at Greenup Co.

LRCW

Ben Grisby trasferred from Pike Central to Greenup County. Now I might be a little of on this but he moved in I believed with his grand parents and was allowed to,practice during the spring and then in the summer. He also played in one game and then in week two I believe it was on a Friday he was told that the transfer was reversed and he was not allowed to play any more.

I remember this one. If there ever was a case that the KHSAA blew bigger than this one, I can't imagine it. The kid moved in with his grandparents to escape his homelife. His grandparents just happened to live in the GC district. He was the classic at risk kid and it was a no-brainer situation. The kid needed football to be held over his head to have any chance of being able to rise above his homelife. In their infinite wisdom, the KHSAA took away the only thing that might be used to give the kid a chance. Of course, the kid turned out as expected. The KHSAA finally came down and said they would reinstate him if the mom would give up custody (I think dad was in jail). She couldn't give up the drug money from claiming him so wouldn't do it. Nice job KHSAA....

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope this comes back and bites Ashland....

Wouldnt that be a hard one to take if you were Coach Hart....

I can dream cant I......

I don't understand this? If the kid violated team rules to the extent that he was removed from the team why would you put the blame on the coach for doing the right thing? I don't know the situation so I won't pass judgement though...

I remember this one. If there ever was a case that the KHSAA blew bigger than this one, I can't imagine it. The kid moved in with his grandparents to escape his homelife. His grandparents just happened to live in the GC district. He was the classic at risk kid and it was a no-brainer situation. The kid needed football to be held over his head to have any chance of being able to rise above his homelife. In their infinite wisdom, the KHSAA took away the only thing that might be used to give the kid a chance. Of course, the kid turned out as expected. The KHSAA finally came down and said they would reinstate him if the mom would give up custody (I think dad was in jail). She couldn't give up the drug money from claiming him so wouldn't do it. Nice job KHSAA....

I totally agree.... I can't see how in the world the Grigsby kid could not have been ruled eligible, but the Mahan kid can... I totally agree with all who said that they are glad the kid gets a chance to play his Senior yearand that this is all about the kids.... but sadly, if it were truly all about the kids in the KHSAA's eyes then the Grigsby kid should have been allowed to play.

At some point in time you would think the KHSAA would rule on these cases by using some common sense.

The Grigsby case was a tragedy. It really was.

This case is a complete joke. All for the kids is one thing but when a case is brought up that follows the guidlines of the rule but in fact is a farse the KHSAA needs to step back and take a look at the circumstances. In this case transferring for the sole purpose of being able to play football.

I don't understand this? If the kid violated team rules to the extent that he was removed from the team why would you put the blame on the coach for doing the right thing? I don't know the situation so I won't pass judgement though...

There is more to the story than whats been put out there....

With Manhan back there Ashland may not win a game at all this year......

At some point in time you would think the KHSAA would rule on these cases by using some common sense.

The Grigsby case was a tragedy. It really was.

This case is a complete joke. All for the kids is one thing but when a case is brought up that follows the guidlines of the rule but in fact is a farse the KHSAA needs to step back and take a look at the circumstances. In this case transferring for the sole purpose of being able to play football.

The KHSAA must of found a reason to allow him to play....

I hope this comes back and bites Ashland....

Wouldnt that be a hard one to take if you were Coach Hart....

I can dream cant I......

Why would it be hard to take? You have to have discipline and rules, and if they are broken there are consequences. You seem to have a personal vendetta against Hart. Ashland is 44-18 over the last 5 years. Go back in recent history and show me a better 5 year record. Ashland lost 24 seniors last year. What kind of year did you expect this year? Coach Hart has done an excellent job at Ashland.

Why would it be hard to take? You have to have discipline and rules, and if they are broken there are consequences. You seem to have a personal vendetta against Hart. Ashland is 44-18 over the last 5 years. Go back in recent history and show me a better 5 year record. Ashland lost 24 seniors last year. What kind of year did you expect this year? Coach Hart has done an excellent job at Ashland.

I'll answer your challenge and say, using only recent history of course, that the five year period from 1930-1934 produced a better record.;) Hart is a decent coach, I suppose, but he will not, on or off the field, be confused with Herb Conley or Jake Hallum, among others.

I suspect that Ashland had good years the last five years more because of the talent level than because of Hart. If Hart gets credit for the success, then shouldn't he get the blame for the failures? You can't give him one without the other. I don't think Hart has had a lot to do with it either way. I think any reasonably competent coach would have produced pretty much the same numbers. I think it gets down to talent level and the talent level is low and will be for a few years. So the interesting question, assuming there won't be a large influx of "relocated athletes", may be whether Hart stays around during lean times.

I'll answer your challenge and say, using only recent history of course, that the five year period from 1930-1934 produced a better record.;) Hart is a decent coach, I suppose, but he will not, on or off the field, be confused with Herb Conley or Jake Hallum, among others.

Thanks Kingfish, but I don't condsider 1930-34 recent history. Coach Conley's and Coach Hallum's records speak for themselves, but I'm willing to bet that happy ol' dad can only remember as far back as Coach Manley, if he can go that far. :D :D

Ask any player or student at Ashland and they will say they like Coach Hart. Only some players or parents that isn't getting the playing time they think they deserve or not ,will say something against him. Coach Hart is a very good coach,just going through a hard time with an inexperienced team.

Where was the uproar of eligibility when Mahan transferred TO Ashland? Some people want their cake and eat it too.

I know it is a tough situation. When a player is kicked off a team and later on suits up for a rival or district opponent (whether legitimately or not), it leaves a sour taste in your mouth. However, when a talented player comes to your school, we welcome them with open arms. It can't be both ways. If you have ill feelings against a player being deemed eligible at the school he transfers to, you shouldn't EVER allow a player to transfer into your sports team.